TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 February 2015
I got this after being disappointed with the Collins Unabridged Collins Unabridged Italian to English (One Way) Dictionary: Complete & Unabridged (Collins Complete and Unabridged) (Italian Edition) but it was even less useful, chiefly in having a smaller word-list.

On my Kindle Paperwhite, it also often fails to give the English translation -- which is the chief point of having an Italian dictionary in the first place. Instead, it identifies the verb form (eg third-person reflexive) and then refers you to the entry where you will find the English meaning. However, there isn't a link to do that -- you would have to re-enter the verb in its first-person form. That slows down your reading greatly.

A Kindle dictionary should work seamlessly, and this has too many seams. There is obviously still some way to go before looking words up on a Kindle is quick and foolproof.

Three stars, however, since it's cheap, and works on a basic level
on 11 October 2013
... when you highlight a verb on the Kindle Paperwhite it often tells you kindly that it is the third person single of the verb (so and so), which is nice, BUT it does not tell you what the verb (so and so) means! And there is no possibility to click that verb to ask it. All that is needed is to include the short definition of the infinitive in parentheses after the mention of the verb, e.g. I would prefer to see "accesi verb first person singular past historic of the verb accendere (to light, to ignite, to kindle, to turn on a device)" - but you don't get the useful bit in the parentheses.
Another problem is that quite often the first letter is missing from the definition of the word, or there is spurious punctuation such as a hanging parenthesis. I am guessing that this is because some automatic script has processed some word bank to produce the dictionary but the script is not quite bright enough to cope with some situations.
These make it quite annoying to use on the Kindle Paperwhite - perhaps it works better on the older devices - I don't know.
on 8 August 2013
Having not read an Italian book for 20 years I started reading 'Le avventure di Pinocchio' and definitely needed a dictionary. The reviews suggested that the Collins would give pronunciation which I thought would be useful. Well, it did but only for the odd word that I could find in it. I appreciate that Pinocchio is an old text and didn't expect too much but it was an exception rather than the rule to find a word that I was looking for. I then bought the Nicolato and I was pleasantly surprised that almost every word I searched for was there. Sometimes you have to look a little further, for instance for the infinitive of the verb. Although some translations refer to modern times and are clearly not the right word for an older text, I found the dictionary very helpful. At the price it is very good value for money. I'll look at the Collins only when I need to find the pronunciation of a word.
on 9 September 2012
The prompt lookup makes reading a foreign language much less of an efforty than it would otherwise be. Contrary to some comments, the dictionary works perfectly on a Kindle Touch (I imagine it is cumbersome on other Kindles), and gives definitions of the verb for most (but not all) conjugated forms. The exceptions are indeed annoying, eg. plurals of past participles are simply recorded as 'plural of X'. The word 'anche' is certainly present.

I'd love to see the idea carried through: to truly compendious dictionaries which gave the right definition every time, including etymologies and articulating a word when you looked it up, fixing its pronunciation in your mind.
on 27 November 2013
I didn't realise when I bought it that it would automatically spring into action when I highlighted a word in the Italian reader I had also bought. Being pretty ignorant on infotech I can't figure out how it does this, but It makes it so easy to use I wish I had got it earlier.
on 21 October 2014
Only Italian - English, not vice versa, so limited use. Only basic words. Gives English equivalen, but not examples of use.t
on 24 January 2016
Will come in very useful over the coming months.
on 8 April 2014
I can hardly wait to make full use of this extensive Italian dictionary. Not only is it completely up-to-date, it is also easy to use.
on 12 May 2013
Wish I had paid a bit more attention to the other reviewers. This is not an English-Italian dictionary. You can only look up Italian words. You also have to know the correct spelling, can't put in the first part of the word, it has to be the whole word. Even though it is cheap, not worth the money. I went for the Collins version in the end.
on 5 January 2015
For the price this is a very good, if quite simple, dictionary. Works well on Kindle. Enables me to read Italian texts very quickly now, with great ease - and my understanding of the language has improved dramatically.