Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now pd pd Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Learn more Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 August 2017
This is the first book in the series of what promises to be pure gold entertainment. Tom Gray, an ex soldier and now successful business man, husband and dad had got life pretty well sorted. That was until a young tearaway decided to take a car and get involved in the police chase that ended Tom’s son’s life and resulted in his wife taking her life not long after because it was all too much. The only thing Tom had to cling to was that the young bloke was in custody a repeat offender and justice would be served. How wrong he was but if the courts wouldn’t do it then he knew some men that would. There was no hesitation from Tom’s old SAS buddies to do what ever he needed to make this right.
Whoa this is a cracking story I felt right up there supporting Tom but I did wonder just how far he would go. Well after the intense training and serving in the SAS let me just say that their is no hesitation, no sir. What a plan! Talk about bring it to the public to decided, it must have saved millions on a referendum. Tom Gray knew the British public were fed up of these criminals simply walking away time and time again. They gained confidence, the Police felt demoralised and the public lived in fear of these yobs. Tom Gray and friends were going to change this, with a little added security to keep MI5 biting at the bit but not daring to make a move against them either.
I love a story where the good guys get to do bad things for the right reasons, it all makes for a sensational read. From the plan going into action Alan McDermott keeps the fast pace increasing in each chapter. This is darn good stuff that when you think you have it sussed you just don’t and you are away again reading at fifty to the dozen because you can’t get enough of this. The plot is brilliant. Already loving Tom Gray and all set to read  more of the series as soon as I can.  So much to look forward to!
4 people found this helpful
on 27 March 2017
I love thrillers, crime, espionage or adventure books. I like those that pull you in so that you talk to the book as you read it. I like the book that makes you want to talk about it with others. So it was with Gray Justice. I felt fully in tune with Gray and so, so much wanted him to triumph despite undermining the core of the justice system. I found myself supporting him and his endeavours. I finished it in two days; finding it difficult to leave alone. A few days on now and I still think about it. I am really looking forward to the next in the series.
4 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2018
I bought this book when it was on a special offer and was not quite sure what to expect. The reviews were mainly very positive and the plot sounded intriguing, so I decided to take a chance.
Well this is a fast-paced thriller with a clever premise that gets the story underway. However, just as I was beginning to tire of the plot a new twist is introduced that adds a new complication and dimension to the story. Very clever. There is plenty of action throughout this book and in some ways it reminds me of the Biggles and Dave Dawson adventure stories of yore - plenty of action and a 'give it a go' hero who has a clear sense of duty and 'doing the right thing'.
A minor niggle for me was that the story draws to a bit of a sudden (but very dramatic) close. This is then followed by an epilogue that leaves you in no doubt that there is another book to follow.
on 19 July 2016
This book is okay. An easy, quick, uncomplicated, holiday read.

But, I can only imagine that those giving it 4 or 5 stars simply aren't that widely read. Certainly if this deserves 5 stars, then anything by Tom Clancy deserves 8.

Some plot elements are simply implausible. The characters offer nothing by which you can develop any empathy for them. Even the premise of the central character's loss of his wife and child left me cold in the way it was presented. The fate of the intelligence analyst was poorly handled, and the way that fate was arrived at was simply laughable. That said, a couple of the plot devices were quite clever.

Perhaps it's unfortunate that I'd recently read A Snowball in Hell by Chris Brookmyre, which has some superficial similarities to one of the central premises in this book, in which an anti-hero takes hostages and creates a public spectacle, exploiting social and conventional media to make a point about society and its elites. I say it's unfortunate, because Brookmyre's book is so much better written than this.

Brookmyre's prose is flowing and articulate, his story lines twist and turn and entwine beautifully. His characters are rich and invoke empathy, and he displays a wickedly dark sense of humour. I'm afraid none of these things can be said about Gray Justice.

Speaking of laughs, there were none in this book. Often, even where a writer's prose isn't intended to be funny, their sense of humour shines through in the voices of the characters. You'd have though that with half the cast of this book being ex-special forces, you'd have some sharp wits on display. Sadly not.

All this said, the book isn't terrible, and is worth the three stars and the quid I paid for it, if nothing more. This was McDermott's first effort, and I live in hope that his work will improve in the subsequent books. I may go and read the 4th or 5th to see if this is the case, and if so, go back to number 2. But before I do any of that, I'm going to find the author on Facebook and seek assurances that after he wrote Gray Justice, someone showed him the dictionary definition of the word "decimate" which is misused repeatedly in this book.
on 22 November 2016
I didn't enjoy this book very much at all. Not so much the writing itself, which was a bit formulaic or the fact that the twist was predictable, but the plot. Certainly it was fast paced and action packed with plenty of gratuitous violence and a little humour thrown in - but...
We are supposed to feel sympathy for a "hero" who seems to have stepped straight from the ranks of the worst kind of pseudo-patriotic thugs (think EDL or Britain First) and endure some of the most right wing anti-Islam, anti-Human Rights writing I have seen outside of the right wing red top press. Not my taste at all, but each to his/her own
on 30 January 2017
Hard to believe this is the maiden novel from this accomplished writer.

It's a fast paced story with nary a wasted word that builds up a convincing scenario and then slips in some plot twists that I didn't see coming.

This grabbed my attention from the end of Chapter 1 and I just couldn't put it down.

It's an original plot and a pleasant change from the police procedurals or detective novels that I expected this would be.

I loved it, and have downloaded and already started on the (always difficult) second novel.
****** 6 stars

(I downloaded it on promotion some time ago and at the end the author asks as a quid pro quo for an honest review in return -- this is it!)
on 28 January 2018
Wow this story when I first started it, was I thought going to be another ex forces hero exacting revenge on the person or person's who decimated his family. How wrong was I, this is a story that is fast paced and twists and turns like you wouldn't believe. I really can't say much more without giving the game away, all I can say is give it a read. I don't think you will be disappointed, this is of course my humble opinion, but I enjoyed it very much and have just downloaded book.
|0Comment|Report abuse
This is the first book by this author I have read and I am very impressed that it is a debut novel. I did think it was well written, well edited and a gripping story. I have already downloaded several more books in this series and I look forward to reading them. I must say I did guess the answer to one part of the plot but I won't give that away here. Suffice to say Tom Gray is a worthy hero, fighting a very good cause and I found the plot believable.
on 2 February 2018
If you're happy with the concept of a pitched battle in the Sussex countryside, involving terrorists, police, the SAS, machine guns and RPGs, you'll enjoy this. If not, you'll probably throw it down two-thirds of the way through. I got the distinct impression that the author was not just telling a far-fetched story; he was making us aware of his own views regarding law and order and what he calls "justice." The ending is also too far-fetched. Not to spoil the story, my impression was that when the author got almost to the end he had the bright idea of writing a sequel - which, of course, he has done. All a bit too far-fetched, but it entertained me for a few hours.
on 28 March 2017
Thoughly enjoyed this. Extremely well written and proofread. The author has expressed the concerns of millions of British about our soft and ineffectual justic system. I am only amazed that the government haven't found a way to ban this!! Have bought next book and am pleased to fine another brilliant author. Well done.