on 12 June 2017
This was a real hit because it doesn't actually change the teenager, but how you respond to them, and it's that that changes them! Very good and like all in this series, clearly written and with humour and sensitivity. Great books!
on 12 November 2016
Excellent advice! The trick is to stay consistent& let kids take responsibility for themselves to a large extent. We have been trialling the methods & have definitely seen an improvement in our teens!
on 29 January 2014
Still reading it and it is my guide. even the kids dont understand why I read this book even though they are not teenagers yet.
One person found this helpful
on 25 July 2016
Excellent book, very practical. I'm glad I got this book, I can see the changes already.
on 29 October 2013
I like the commonsense and humourous way that it is written, and the cool tips. wish I had read it years ago.
on 11 October 2014
Fantastic! Highly recommended to parents who have problems with teenagers!
on 18 November 2012
With a daughter entering her teenage years, with the associated ups and downs for me as a parent I felt I needed help understanding how to best navigate these difficult waters. While I can strongly recommend Lucie Hemmen's 'Parenting a Teen Girl', Dr Leman's book is of little use beyond stating the fairly obvious in a rather condescending way. While Hemmen's book covers enough psychology (in layman's terms) to be properly useful, Dr Leman is coming from a very specific moral angle (US conservative) which makes his arguments harder to implement if you don't agree with his view of the world. God, the Bible, and sex only within marriage, recur frequently as themes. If your teenage daughter is careless enough to get pregnant then the only course of action is for the baby to be given up for adoption. This is less a book about understanding and communicating with your teenager, as a manifesto of Dr Leman's moral views, tricky if you don't share them. The book is very US centric in other ways (your child's access to one of the family cars comes up regularly, with hiding the car keys a popular Leman punishment), including its overly casual tone and frequent US sporting metaphors. Combined with Dr Leman's clearly rather positive view of himself and his charming, well-balanced children who pop up regularly in anecdotes as if to rub in even more how useless you must be at parenting if yours aren't as delightful, and the book is mildly irritating as well as of little practical use. If you have a daughter buy Lucie Hemmen's book instead which really was a helpful read.
8 people found this helpful
on 15 August 2012
An American based book but the principles translate to UK life also. I found myself in need of a bit of redecorating (Mondays Chapter). Dr Leman comes across as a 'normal' parent, not one who preaches as holier than thou. Reading the real life accounts and his personal and family tales I found myself nodding in agreement, laughing aloud and totally reassurred that my son is not an alien in human form!
I could feel my blood boiling at times, - early morning alarm call, being late for events, getting jobs done etc that often I would stress myself out ensuring all was done. The notion that I not only could, but was supported to allow him to be late if he didnt get up on time and face the conequences, to miss chores but to also miss a lift to a mates house or another 'favour' was hard to swallow but boy did it work! I simply left him to sleep through and miss the bus. I did drive him to school (late) but did not provide the required note to excuse him. A detention and missed breaks solved it for me. Dont get me wrong, we still have our moments but I try hard to remember the walk away, say nothing until later and action/consequence plans. An ongoing plan for life, incidently my mum wishes she had read the book when I was a teenager (SORRY MUM!!).
5 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2016
Listen to it in the car. Funny, true and useful.
It helps you to understand your teens better and gives really helpful ideas how to deal with everyday problems, small and big ones.
on 2 April 2014
Interesting and easy to read with good tips for Teens, good section on Q&A in the back. The author gives summarized tips at the end of each chapter to use in real life situations!!