on 24 March 2013
This book is about loss of control in several ways. Put together a man who is used to being in charge, and a woman who has got used to taking charge, a brother who doesn't like being told what to do, a step-mother who is beginning to assert herself and you have kindling ready for a match. Things don't actually combust however but there is a fair bit of confrontation. That isn't necessarily a good thing when there is an unknown adversary who has already tried to kill (they think) the young woman. He certainly trapped her in an underground cavern and left her there. Her rescuer thinks that the blow to her head has unhinged her and is therefore disbelieving of much of what she says for some time. Eventually all concerned recognise the danger the women are in and the men attempt to protect them despite the women's determination that they can manage. When the first hint of danger comes, the supposed attacker is recognised as yet another brother but his sanity is in question. Despite the fact that the man in charge has said no, he eventually finds himself involved in another trip underground, but is everything as it should be? A cat and mouse scenario ensues, but the mice are not sure if there even is a cat, and the cat is waiting and biding his time . . .

We know that there is someone waiting and planning, we know what he is thinking, and the suspense grows, from time to time I had to put the book down and take a little break from the tension I could feel building.
At first I thought this might be just a light, easy going bedtime read, but before long it began to get a hold on me.
on 21 May 2013
I actually enjoyed this book very much. There was quite a wry oblique humour in it which appealed to me and really made me chuckle. Ms. Conneally set up a clever scenario - very well constructed, simple on the surface but the possibilities were myriad. Thank you for making me laugh Ms. Connealy.
on 16 January 2015
i found the book very slow to start with it only sped up in the last few chapters also i wouldnt have said it was a western it was mainly set under ground caves and was a geological story
on 23 January 2015
An enjoyable, light-hearted read with adventure & romance. Completely unrealistic but it was a fun read, with some interesting characters.
on 11 June 2013
Easy to read, but not at all exciting. A bit too mild for me. Two nice guys rescue two nice girls, that's about it - oh and a few caves and a brother who appears like a madman.
on 9 April 2014
I read it just when I needed to lose myself in something and this worked. I am also motivated to go and see what else the author has written.
on 19 June 2014
Not bad but too dark in caves for me but a pleasant read. About hard times and women's struggles I still read it to the end
on 2 March 2015
Good storyline. I really enjoyed the book. Good writing.
on 16 April 2016