Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 August 2011
A very careless selection of tracks here, as with other volumes from this company.

Whoever put this comp together clearly doesn't know his music. WRONG VERSIONS ABOUND! Duane Eddy's 'Rebel Rouser' is NOT the 1958 hit version, but a later 60s stereo remake for another label. Pat Boone's 'A Wonderful Time Up There' is also not the hit version but an early attempt at the song which first appeared on his Bear Family box set. Zacherle's 'Dinner With Drac' is not the version which appeared on London American, it's the US version which came out on Cameo. ...Same goes for Eddie Cochran's 'Summertime Blues'.... the version which appeared on London had NO fade-out, and also didn't feature any reverb on the bass singer's response which this one does. Once again the compiler has used the US version. Jerry Butler's 'For Your Precious Love' is a 60s overdubbed version, not the original hit which appeared on the London 45. (The correct version is on Ace's 'Golden Age Of American R&Roll -Vol.10).

If you want the real deal on original London-American label releases, give this PD reissue label a wide berth and stick with Ace's London American series. At least they have people who know their music!
1414 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've started so I'll finish. I think someone said that. Having gotten going with year 1956 - see my review of that year for general comments on the series - I then dug a bit more deeply into `57 and got the bug to go further. I have to say that `57 was nothing short of magnificent so does this one match it? Thoughts below:

- all the big names, that is, Fats, Chuck, Eddie, the Ev's, Little R, Jerry Lee (with the unexpected but excellent choice of Hank Williams` "You win again", one of the Killer's best country outings), Perkins and Larry W (with that fantastic riff in "Bony Maronie"), and Ricky, are all present and correct.
- there are quite a few of the slightly more obscure, one-off type, rockers like Eddie Fontaine's "Nothin' Shakin'", "Do you wanna dance" from Bobby Freeman and the evergreen "Rockin' Robin" from Bobby Day. And from hard man Jack Scott we get not one but two tracks, "Geraldine" as well as the always listenable, "Leroy".
- we get several all-time instrumental classics in "Rumble", "Rebel Rouser" (though not the right cut according to AJ) and "Tequila" plus a second track from the Champs which is less interesting. Yes, I know "Topsy" is present as well but it's never really done it for me.
- there's the superb "Endless Sleep" - "Nightmare with reverb guitar" as Dave Marsh terms it.
- from Jimmy Clanton, "the swamp pop R&B teenage idol" as Wikipedia terms him, we get "Just a Dream" which has an existence in that hinterland between swamp pop and teen mush. There's a nice video on YouTube of the slightly aged lad singing it live and, yup, it still works.
- one of Johnny Cash's rare poppy tracks, the "Ballad of a Teenage Queen" which I've always loved.
- far less doowop than the `57 equivalent and some of it's white. Not white are the Monotones with "(I wonder, wonder, who, who wrote the) Book of Love". The white Aquatones with female lead and the rather nice "You" with what sounds like the Atlantic session team backing . Dion and the Belmonts first single and first hit, "I wonder why". Plus what appears to be the first appearance of the Drifters in this series. Incidentally for anyone who doesn't know, the Rinky Dinks" was/were actually Bobby Darin; he was the guy who was singing on "Early in the Morning" and the Rinky Dinks version actually did better than the Holly cut in the US charts.
- we get a couple of novelties this time in the shape of "Witch Doctor" and "Dinner with Drac". Not really my scene but I'm sure there are cult followers (particularly for the second).
- the two really obscure ones (to me anyway) this time were "Only Teenagers allowed" from Jackie Walker which turned out to be rockabilly-ish, and "Creepin', crawlin', cryin'" from the marvellously named, Billie and Lillie. Not sure what to make of the latter but B & L are a male / female black pairing.
- some teen idol stuff has crept in and Pat Boone is back , oh, and Nick Todd was Pat Boone`s younger brother - moving on ...
- only a few signs of R&B - Jimmy Cracklin's "The Walk" and good old Ruth Brown's great "This little girl's gone rockin'" with some near rockabilly guitar.
- 1958 also saw the first discs from the Coasters and Phil Spector (in Teddy Bear guise).
- I've saved some of the best ones till the end, a lovely chunk of proto country soul "What am I living for" which was to be the last record from Chuck Willis. Plus "For Your Precious Love" from Jerry Butler - more soul but with a stronger dosage of gospel. And I've nearly forgotten that lovely Clyde McPhatter track.

A very good and varied set just not quite as mindblowing as the `57 offering. I said that.
on 8 December 2012
A good compilation of 1958 Rock'n'Roll. Not all the correct versions used, to add to A.J. Watsons review, 'You Win Again' by Jerry Lee Lewis is the undubbed master. The original single release (B-side to 'Great Balls Of Fire') had backing vocals overdubbed. But who cares! A good selection of Rock'n'Roll standards and less obvious tracks. Only one major gripe, if you are going to the trouble of digitally remastering, why clip the first two seconds from the beginning of 'Drip Drop' by The Drifters! Sloppy, so it only gets 4 stars.
on 8 May 2012
The London American Label produced some of the very best rock & roll in the late 50's & early 60's. Great tracks, great singers, I loved it.
on 15 October 2011
Overall a great collection of rock n roll's early years with very few lemons. Don't understand why At The Hop by Nick Todd and Early In The Morning by The Rinky Dinks were included though; not that they are particularly bad, but they aren't the Danny & The Juniors / Buddy Holly versions. Surely there was more suitable stuff available from the London American vaults?
on 20 May 2013
Five CD double albums "The London American Story" 1957-1961 were ordered 18/04, with estimated delivery (to a UK address) on four, given as 25/04 to 26/04. These arrived in two packages - one from Discs4all, the other from Amazon UK on 23/04. The fifth, which had had a warning "may require two extra days", arrived from Amazon EU on 25/04. All well within estimate - excellent service from the suppliers.

Sadly there proved to be a defect on 1957 Disc 2, where there is a muffled "finger snap" like sound, on tracks 13-25, although there is no visible mark on the surface of the disc. A replacement arrived the day following my reporting the fault. Amazon had invoked Premier Delivery, although the originals were ordered with free postage. Excellent response.

I'm not going to comment on One Day Music's choice of tracks for each year - that is a matter of taste, but the selection of music for this ageing rocker is just fantastic, replacing all these 78s and 45s that bit the dust, got lost, got loaned out, and even burgled, in the last 55ish years. As far as I can tell, from an as yet brief preview of all 250 tracks, all my "important" tracks are genuine originals, not like some of the dismal 70's "Best Of" re-recordings I posses. Some tracks are surprisingly in clear stereo, and I can detect some slight phasing on others, which might be the result of attempts at "artificial" stereo. However for me, this does not detract at all, and to my mind, this set is fantastic value for money.

I guess the very best way to enjoy them is to listen under the bedclothes after a 10p.m "lights out". At least these days there is a lot less chance of your listening device setting fire to the bed, than with my mains/battery (90v and 1.5v), so-called "portable", way back then . . . . and there's none of the trademark Luxembourg waxing and waning (or Jimmy Whatsisname!)

Word of warning. I transferred these to my PC/phone "jukebox" via a borrowed laptop. I ended up with track listings, on no less then five of the ten CDs, which was a total load of cobblers. This caused havoc in my digital "jukebox", and it took me days to confirm that what I had received, was actually what it said on the tin (or album covers). I was fuming, and blamed the record company for screwing up - I had to overtype 125 track titles and artists. However I later found out that there was NO embedded track listing on these discs. I had failed to check that the automatic download of album information in Windows Media Player, on the borrowed laptop, had been disabled. The cobblers had arrived invisibly, courtesy of fai.music.metaservices. My apologies then for thinking ill of One Day Music. On the positive side, I did NOT have to type in the artist and title on the other 125 tracks, courtesy of Microsoft's service! It just needs to be managed. It's terrible being old!
on 19 September 2013
All of this series of original London American recordings of the fifties era are excellent and make a great addition to any fan of this type of music.They have replaced many of my vinyl copies and theyallow me to keep the music safely in my collection on the CD,s.Also at a great price too.
on 23 May 2013
These are so nicely produced. I'm collecting them all. Some pretty standard, almost cliched Rock and Roll Tracks, but they are surrounded by some amazing obscurities, forgotton hits, and one hit wonders.
on 17 August 2011
I bought this having bought a few rock n'roll releases from this label before but was yet to try any titles from the London American Story range. I really enjoyed it. I understand that collectors may already own the majority of the hits on original vinyl or other compilation releases but I didn't (in fact there was only cross over with 3 songs that I already have in my collection). The digipak cover is striking with the pink and blue (I applaud the brave use of colour!) and it's a strong album in terms of the artists (Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Bobby Freeman, Ricky Nelson). Very pleased. 5 stars.
on 28 September 2011
Another 50 great tracks from 1958. Stand out tracks are the original version of "Endless sleep" by Jody Reynolds, "For your precious love"-Jerry Butler & The Impressions, "This little girls gone rockin'-Ruth Brown and "Creepin' crawlin' cryin'-Billie & Lillie. Mostly standard tracks but still a good purchase if you want to build a collection of London American releases.