on 24 August 2009
Being self employed I have little time to read these days. "Moments in Time" was a must for me as I had been being asked by J.A.Gordon to come up with a cover for the story. So I allocated one wet Sunday to bury myself away and do some research by flicking through the pages to get a gist of the book to achieve this. Little did I know how quickly I would be swept away in an adventure I could not get out of.

I'll be honest it isn't the kind of book I would normally have picked up I'm more macabre fiction or detective stories, a lover of Anne Rice, classic writers Jane Eyre, The Bronte Sisters, Enid Blyton, A.A. Milne and of course Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings", however from page one it had me hooked the descriptive narrative had you in the camp with the men you could hear them, smell them and feel the emotions they felt.

Not since Harry Potter have I read a book so fast, cover to cover in one day and then I read it a second time slowly to really get the full atmosphere of the amazing story as it unfolded. I have laughed till I cried at the antics of the men and cried over the turmoil they have had to deal with. I could not put the manuscript down I so enjoyed following this band of men and their daily life. "Moments in Time" is a truly amazing story full of life, humour, compassion, harsh trials, comradeship, honour and most of all love.

I have been so moved by this book that when it came out in print I read it again, I raved about it so much all my mates have wanted their own copies and my Father is chomping at the bit for book two "Weight of Time" to be released.

Luckily for me as I also designed the cover for "Weight of Time" I already have read the brilliant and equally fast paced emotional story that is due to be released end of November this year. Which means come October I will be opening "Moments in Time" again to join the merry century and refresh myself of all their marvelous characters so that when I have my printed copy of "Weight of Time" in my hands I will be following straight on with the adventure.

The only problem I have now is impatiently waiting for Book Three.

"Moments in Time" is pure quality in print right down to the choice of type making it so easy to read. The book itself is a lovely size not to weighty very easy to handle, the paper pure white very good quality not rag and has a lovely feel to it. Everything about this book has love and pride worked into it, its a joy to own and I can't wait to get the entire collection on my book case.

I hope you decide to enter the "Chronicles of Eternity" as well, you won't be disappointed
on 22 September 2011
One of those rare books where you become absorbed by the setting. Full of vivid characters who bring alive what it must have been like being a professional Roman soldier during a time of great upheaval. There is a wonderful cast of characters with some great lines and who demand to be loved, hated and laughed at. This book is begging to made into film. The balance of dialogue and description is just right, maintaining a pace throughout that demands you read the next chapter and the next until the next thing you know your alarm is going off and it is time to get up. This is Clavell territory and the fact that this is the first book in the series is a wonderful thing.
on 16 May 2009
Moments in time by J.A Gordon is a joy to read. By page 5 you are hooked as you're taken back to a time when life was cheap.
The writing is in the mould of J.K Rowling and after putting down the book following the final chapter I can't wait for the next installment.
It's such an easy book to become enchanted with and has a unique twist.
on 24 October 2011
This book was one of those books that you will want to read in one go. It really does get you in the first few pages and I loved the fact that it wasn't to "Latiney" and long winded, just enjoyable. I want to read the next installment but don't understand why the first and third installments are available on kindle but the second is only available in book form. Seems to defeat the point of having a kindle to me if you have to have one version in book form.Wouldn't it be better to have all three titles in both formats?
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2009
I really enjoyed Moments in Time. It is a story with twists and turns, love and hate, leadership and doubt, failure and success.
It reveals the inner feelings of a Roman destined for greatness. His loves, disappointments, hopes, frustrations and victories. You can almost smell the campfires and the aroma of the food and share the laughter of the men gathered to share the events of the day. History, humour and adventure - what a mix.
I thoroughly recommend this for bedside or poolside!
on 23 July 2011
This book is so easy to read, the characters become your best friends as the reader is immersed in the life of a Roman soldier. The book is filled with an abundance of good humour and narration. Will definitely be buying the other books in this series and thrillled to have them available on the kindle at such a bargain price
A must read for all interested in Roman history and who appreciate a philosophical perspective on those times
on 12 April 2013
An enjoyable read, set in a period of history I know very little about. It was a refreshing read, a change from my usual comfort zone and a great start to the series.
on 16 October 2011
If you enjoy reading books with thrilling plots and engaging heroes, disturbingly convincing historical detail and an epic vision of the late Roman era, you will love Moments in Time. The central characters are father and son warriors and very attractive they are too. I fell in love with both of them. The supporting cast of colourful and believable 1st century peoples, drawn from many regions and races, is a delight. Though I have read much set in this period, nothing else comes close to the sense of place this author has created. I was completely charmed and enraptured by the story, the cast of characters and the gently unfolding plot, which is as much a love story (or many love stories) as an historical drama. I am gripped by the unusual and intriguing twist to the plot which obviously I won't divulge... but I cannot wait to know the ultimate outcome. Gordon's writing is studded with convincing period detail yet it is easy to read. It is informative about the mores and politics of this violent and terrible era without being over-scholarly. I am so glad I had borrowed all three of the current titles as I could start on the second in this series the moment I finished the first.
on 3 April 2011
This is the first in a series of very interesting books. I'm a very fussy reader, was given it a a gift & didn't know what to expect but was soon totally engrossed in the amazing story of a centurion in the Roman army at the time of Nero.

It's well researched & it shows in the detailed descriptive passages regarding language, lifestlyle &
mores of society in various parts of the Roman empire at that time. The smells, tastes, sights & sounds of the ancient world are worked into the story so well that they come alive in the imagination, making it a deeply satisfying read.
The author conveys the innermost workings of the minds & feelings of the characters in a such a way that one is totally won over by the sheer richness of the tale, yet it isn't over-worked
This is storytelling at its best & is totally spell-binding.
Highly recommended to anyone who likes to tuck in to a ripping yarn. I can't wait for the next book!
on 13 November 2011
After reading this wonderful tale I quickly read the second and third follow up stories with eager anticipation.The story of Moments In Time is gripping and feels exceptionally "real".You feel you there with the main character Graecus, his loyal men, adopted son and Zig the faithful dog in what are grim but interesting times.
The characters build from chapter one with fabulous insights into the relationships within the camp as well as a fast paced unveiling of a fantastic plot.It crosses over from being fiction to almost reading the private journal of the main character.
I have no idea where this talented author is with plans to write a screenplay, but I could not help myself from thinking who would play some of these great character parts.
Highly reccomended and I am awaiting the fourth with great anticipation.
Tell your friends to read it!!
Colm Reilly