on 5 May 2007
For me, the recording qualitys pretty good and theres a clear open soundstage.

I agree that the George Shearing written Shakespeare melodies are the highlight.

They should have done another take of The Heavenly Aeroplane. The timing between choir/orchestra all goes to pot and becomes cringworthingly bad in my opinion.

The arrangement of the Lord of the Dance is enjoyable though

overall its an enjoyable CD.
on 27 June 2003
The contents of the CD are brilliant and are typical of Rutter's arrangements. The highlight for me is actually Shearing's 'Songs and Sonnets of Shakespeare'. The quality of the recording is somewhat suspect which let the CD down. The choir are perhaps no lively enough for the fast movements in 'Feel the spirit'. 'Lord of the Dance' is a great arrangement and 'The heavenly aeroplane is brilliant although I would have preferred it with just a piano, bass and drums accompniment. Otherwise a valuable addition to any Rutter collection.
on 19 June 2012
This CD is wonderful and I would thoroughly recommend it. I am a huge Rutter fan and so any CD that has anything to do with him is of interest to me and this one did not disappoint. I was really pleased by the quality of the product I received and ordering it through Amazon was brilliant - good price, was kept informed of the progress of my order and it was despatched swiftly. Way to go!
on 8 July 2014
Bought as my choir were singing the work. Usual standard expected of Cambridge Singers and Rutter.
on 5 March 2010
Wonderful CD. I love John Rutter's arrangements and this one is so uplifting. It has a very upbeat, jazz feel unlike some of his other arrangements that I also adore. Having been to a workshop with him when we did the spirituals it was fantastic to hear them recorded to beautifully.It shows what a versatile musician he is that he can embrace so many styles so effectively.
on 19 November 2014
I purchased this for George Shearing's Songs and Sonnets from Shakespeare. They alone are worth the price of the CD -- refreshingly different from anything else, and beautiful. Recordings are good too, as are the rest of the pieces. Total playing time is almost 75 minutes, so good value.
on 17 February 2014
Another beautifully sung John Rutter production, different to the sacred music that many would be familiar with but melodic and satisfying nevertheless. The Cambridge Singers excellent as always and a very good female soloist.
on 13 August 2013
I don't normally like Rutter but was sold on Melanie Marshall. If you're lucky enough to have a performance near you then go and listen to her fabulous voice. The CD is the next best thing.
on 17 February 2013
Lovely refreshing modern quality singing.
Straightforward spiritual melodies with typically Rutteresque setting and arrangement.
It makes most beautiful background music too.
on 27 February 2011
An excellent CD download - our choir is singing Feel the Spirit for a forthcoming concert and this CD has been inspirational - love the music!