TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 August 2015
I heard this on a Tallis evening on one of my default surveys onto Radio 3 which was having a celebration of his works. I am more into rock actually, although I have loved Vaughan Williams's 'Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis' ever since I first heard it 40 years ago and early French counterpoint I do not even know the names of. But this music is astonishing, it deserves the word 'sublime' if anything does. When I first heard it, accompanying James Fox's television series on the English Renaissance, gooseflesh stroked my forearms, it is so piercingly beautiful; and to think that Tallis came out of nowhere (I think) to begin the English musical Renaissance, this is almost miraculous and certainly remarkable. My favourite choral piece was Allegri's famous 'Miserere' and whilst it is fatuous to say which is better than what, this is as gorgeous and transporting and seems, to my ignorant sensibility, to be an even more intricate and technically complex piece. For FORTY voices, all of which sing different parts, none in unison! A thing of beauty is a joy forever indeed. As usual Keats was right and it is an exquisite one to boot.
on 18 October 2017
Brilliant piece of music. Bought after seeing an installation at the Tate Modern with 40 speakers, one for each voice (in the Motet). Stunning presentation and great to be able to hear this glorious music in the comfort of my own home. Anybody who likes religious, choral music will love this.
on 9 June 2017
This is a wonderful cd and the singing sublime. Listening to this transports you into another world that is so relaxing and spiritually uplifting. I love listening to it .
on 21 June 2017
Let us be happy to be hell away from head Dylan and his donkeys in a sphere of true art with Tallis (and his Scholars) so close to Heaven.
on 4 September 2017
Good quality recording
on 19 July 2017
Brillant. Thanks
on 11 July 2017
A gift. Got swept up in the "Shades of Grey" thing.