Customer reviews

on 20 March 2015
After our Daughter was diagnosed recently with anorexia, we were plunged into a nightmare & scoured the Internet for books to find out as much about the illness as possible. Although this book is written for an American audience, it strongly supports a Parental involvement in their recovery along with the professionals and thankfully we are making good progress so far. It's reassuring to know that we are doing the right thing in supporting her at every meal (even driving to school to meet her for lunch). After reading the book we are united in our approach & are really seeing a difference in her eating which is now improving her mood & outlook on life. We are feeling hopeful for the first time in two months. We know that the road to recovery is a slow one and that you cannot rush getting better, even though you just wish they would be well again but this book has definitely given us the confidence to support our Daughter all the way to recovery.
on 21 April 2010
This is an American book and although the advice is good, it's based on US treatments. Also I don't think it's as good as Skills-based Learning for Caring for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder: The New Maudsley Methodand Anorexia and Bulimia: A Parent's Guide to Recognising Eating Disorders and Taking Controlwhich I bought at the same time. If I were to buy these 3 books again, I'd just go for the latter two as I found I referred to them time and time again, whereas the American book just ended up in a drawer.
on 7 October 2016
Helpful information.
on 25 May 2015
Lots of helpful information. Easy to read and very matter of fact.
on 29 September 2015
Nothing contained in the book that I didn't already know although it did arrive very quickly
on 6 April 2017
Brilliant
on 3 May 2015
Still reading my way through it - lot of info, but very helpful.
on 17 February 2016
Excellent
on 9 October 2015
My daughter became anorexic at 11. We were assigned two middle aged male counsellors who did their best but the most valuable thing they did was recommend this book. We had 1 hour therapy a week, the other 167 hours were down to my wife, me, my son and daughter. Before reading it, we had no real understanding of the condition and no tools for dealing with it. Afterwards, we were able to begin her recovery. We understood key concepts like separating the condition from the person and why rational persuasion does not work. She is now 16 and thriving. This book played an invaluable part in her recovery. I have recommended it to several people now and am writing this review because I'm about to recommend it to someone else. Yes, it is written from an American angle but we are British and it was still extremely helpful.
on 2 September 2009
I have read a number of books on eating disorders and this is the only book I found with sound advice telling you what to do in order to help your teenager. Most books explain about recognising an eating disorder and where to go to obtain help, but this book actually explains the best way to go about it as a parent/carer. I was never given that advice even though we attended hospital for over 2 years with our child who was discharged for obtaining the age of 16, even though they are still not well. I read this book and now know what I have to do - trying to implement it is another thing of course - but it does give excellent advice if you are in need. I initailly borrowed the book from our Library but have decided to purchase it so I can keep refering to it.