Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 6 November 2011
It took a lot of plays, and seemed dull at first, but wow what a CD. In my opinion their best since Train Of Thought; just when I thought I'd lost faith.

What I like: Tighter structures, disciplined vocals (one of James' best performances), real feeling, interesting lyrics, less meandering, good electronica, Mike Mangini in seamlessly (phew).

What I don't like: Hardly anything bad to say about it. Still not as tight as, say, Awake, - but getting there.
on 14 September 2011
Well I am now posting a review after having listened to it five times. 77 minutes is a lot to digest, but unlike some long albums with fillers this one is beautifully paced with epics and ballads. Best album in long time and so much better than albums like Systematic chaos where the metal took over. I am sure the guys in the band love it so much too. James La Bries best vocals for long time and no doing grunting death stuff either, just pure JLB.

Stand out tracks (and its all top notch) are' Bridges in the sky' 'Outcry' and the great Breaking all illusions'plus the lovely closer 'Beneath the surface' Mike Mangini is immense on it all. just a big WOW factor!
I suggest you read Dave Hall's in depth review at top of the page of reviews as he sums it all up for me.
Its great to be excited about Dream Theater again, especially after Mike Portnoy leaving and wondering if they would be any good after..well this album proves it in the affirmative : )
on 21 October 2011
I've purchased the CD+DVD version of the album. Like everyone else, I had my doubts about the whole sound after Mike Portnoy leaving the band. After all, he had written most of the songs. But I was very pleased to find out that this new album tastes like Images and Words album if you are familiar with it.

I had the prejudice that noone could fill Mike Portnoy's place as a drummer but surprisingly noticed that I really didn't notice the absence and appreciated this Mike Mangini guy in the first place. :)

The DVD, which is a documentary of the drummer auditions really made me got rid of all my doubts about the new Dream Thater. See Mike Mangini on action and you'll vest.

Outstanding Songs :

On the Back of Angels, Build Me Up Break Me Down, Lost Not Forgotten (really an epic one), Bridges in the Sky

I recommend it... Good Album...
on 12 September 2011
Well I was a little worried as to what might happen with new DT albums once Mike Portnoy was out of the picture when it came to the songwriting and production, but I needn't have feared. The new CD is excellent. Definitely the best one since the band has been on Roadrunner Records.

Standout tracks so far (I've only had it on for a few hours) are Breaking All Illusions (with a brilliant guitar solo) and Lost Is Not Forgotten, but of course as the tracks bed-in I might change this opinion. I wonder if I'll even get used to the strange throat-singing intro to Bridges In The Sky - it sounds like my 16-week old son after a bottle of milk has just gone down! It's another great song though.

I suppose it depends which type of DT songs you like the most but the best news about the new album is that MP's growling backing vocals have gone. HOORAY! This was not something I enjoyed in their songs. I hope this remains in place for future releases.

Well done to the boys.
on 28 September 2011
Ok, so I admit I am a massive DT fan. I first heard Images and Words and played it for months. I decided then that this band was different from any other (and I'm old enough to remember the prog of the 70s) and was so thankful I'd discovered them. I have loved all subsequent albums but accept that there have been weaker moments and suspected they were influenced by MP - an amazing drummer but somewhat too controlling and, for me at least, overly influenced by other less melodic rock genres. This latest album seems to support that, it is nothing short of a masterpiece with all members allowed to express themselves freely and the genius of JP and JR in full flow with gorgeous melodies and complex arrangements that stir the soul. I haven't stopped playing it for a week now. Thank God for this band, may they carry on forever.
on 26 September 2011
As a Dream Theater fan I must say that this album is pure genius and certainly puts Dream Theater back at the top.
I have read the reviews on Amazon and would agree that the Death Metal influence has disappeared.
On the new drummer I am sure that Mangini had nothing to do with this album so that he could concentrate on learning the other Dream Theater material,the drums on this album are I believe the Drum machine of Jordan Rudess.
I have all of Dream Theaters albums including the Majesty CD's and the official bootleg albums, and this is by far their best work the music and lyrics are outstanding and James Labries voice is amazing especially on This Is The Life and Lost Not Forgotten.
If you have not bought this album yet, Why Not!
Finally I cant wait for them to tour the UK I for one will be there.
on 24 September 2011
Finally I've realised what was wrong with DT

Since departure of Portnoy, gone are the juvenile attempts at growling, the overbearing "look mat me I'm a drummer" and we're back to a balanced band as much keyboard driven as drum/bass/geetar.

It's great stuff, very orchestral, quite moving and like watching a widescreen movie at the cinema in terms of sound-scape

And I really like the Mongolian throat singing.

And the playing on the album is unbelievable(Yngvie Malmstee-nish guitar playing), but never just there just for show (as in Malmsteen) but always to add to the overall sound and add dramatic tension.

Still has moments that sound like Rush, but less so that in BC&SL.

My favourite DT album in years, and a return to what attracted me to the band in the first place.
on 31 March 2012
Another Awesome Album by Dream Theater, If only other Bands could be as good as this.
The Interchanges from Progressive Rock to Heavy Hard Rock is ABSOLUTELY JAWDROPPING!!!
and i loved every track.
Thoroughly deserved to be Headliners at High Voltage last year and can't wait for the next album.
They Sound like Slipknot mixed with Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer with a bit of Slayer and Metallica thrown in.
This Band really are Brilliant and are without doubt my Favourite out of the Reviews i have done so far.
on 13 September 2011
Sensational album. I was concerned about the loss of Mike Portnoy, but this wipes the floor with the last album. Superb musicality and excellent songwriting. Highlight is definately 'Breaking all illusions'... low points (and there are hardly any) the shortest track on the album (thankfully) Far from heaven (wet as anything) and the huge burp at the start of 'Bridges in the sky' (There...I've said it!). the rest... pure genius... too many hi spots to list... Just buy it! wow wow wow! One of their best for me....
on 9 December 2011
I've had this since day or release but it took me around ten plays to really get into it. The three ballads are great, especially the closer, 'Beneath the surface' which has great lyrics and a beautiful melody. The stand out track for me is 'Outcry',closley followed by the stunning 'Breaking all Illusions'. Some of the rhythms and musical interplay does your head in for complexity at first but it's well worth investing your time. Not a bad track on the album but it just gets better as the cd progresses.