on 3 April 2015
I seldom write reviews but Mindsight is one of the gems that we all need, and writing a review is my way of helping spread the words. As someone who has dealt with lifelong issues when it comes to caring for myself and for others, this book has been a godsend.

Daniel Siegel explains the complex topic of how our brain shapes our world and how some of us have become prisoners of our own thoughts. Over the past six years I have read numerous books on how to better myself, how to live a fulfilling life and how to achieve good things but eventually my mind went back to its normal state of being chaos driven and full of uncertainties.

The ability to look inwards into our own minds to understand how our past experiences has shaped our mind, how our mind drives our actions and then unlearning the past behaviour to compassionately work with it towards a better outcome is the essence of Daniel Siegel's Mindsight.

Mindsight is a unique gift that all of us should read with an open mind. For those of you who can afford it I would suggest buying the audiobook. Dan Siegel's narration of Mindsight is as compassionate as the content of the book.
17 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2011
Daniel Siegel's Mindsight offers a rare combination of clinical case studies and easy to understand neuroscience that allows us to understand his success with the treatment of mental illness. Siegel is a top psychiatrist who has himself experienced the power of meditation and he is brave enough to challenge the status quo and provide powerful evidence that techniques derived from the ancient practice of meditation work at a very deep level on the human psyche. It is reassuring to hear from a Harvard trained professional that drugs are not the answer to some of the mental disorders now so common among us: depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, and so on and so forth. The more medical and psychology professinals and therapists that read this book, the more chances we'll have of moving towards a more humane treatment of mental disorders.
54 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2017
Fantastic book for therapists, individuals and students. Dr D Siegel marvels at his work and results speak for themselves. I have really benefited from the client's examples in this book, as being not a scientist or particularly academic, examples really helped me understand impacts of trauma and ways of addressing these. Every book by Dr Siegel is a gem. So grateful for his contribution to humanity.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2017
A fascinating look at the way the physical brain works to produce thought, lay down memories and create sense out of our development.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 October 2016
Mindsight by Daniel Siegel.
This is a brilliant, lucid and well written account of how recent insights gained from neuroscience and neurobiology can be applied skilfully to bring about real healing in clients and couples with a wide range of complex issues and as such would be of interest to therapists and lay people who want to deepen their understandings of mind brain and relationships. Well done Dr Siegel and thank you.
on 24 April 2017
I originally read this a couple of years ago. I then purchased it for my brother who has really benefitted from the insights.
on 7 March 2017
Excellent! Well written and accessible.
on 14 May 2016
This is an excellent read with clear explanations and case studies. I am looking forward to the publishing of Dan's next book later in the year.
on 2 April 2018
Love it.
on 13 February 2016
I like the simple tone and this will take you a while to read as you want to learn the deep ness of the theory and work on it