Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

LaCie Rugged Mini 1TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC and Mac
Style: USB 3.0|Size: 1 TB|Change

on 20 March 2017
Good, like it, strong and reliable so far (have had it a few years now)
on 17 August 2015
Nice to see a drive of this size that doesn't need a separate power supply. Quite bulky compared to some drives of this type, but quiet in operation. The rubber surround is a sloppy fit and peels off too easily. The interfaces though are very useful for Mac owners; the old Macs mostly have Firewire 800 and the new ones USB3.0 so it's well equipped for a variety of machines. Measured data transfer rates using Blackmagic (read/write) are about 75Mb/s on USB3.0, 70Mb/s on Firewire 800, and just over 30Mb/s on USB2.0. Write is slightly faster than read.

Overall a very useful drive for Mac owners in particular and a handy tool for moving around large video and photo file sets.
on 19 October 2017
I own four other LaCie rugged hard drives, and five other hard drives made by other brands. I have never had any of them fail (although I may mention that the USB and firewire connection on many of the other older LaCie hard drives has often been quite loose which I have found worrisome - whilst this newer hard drive is the first I have not found this problem with).

I always found the design of these rugged hard drives robust, easily portable and reliable... until now. Sadly, this LaCie Mini 2TB USB 3.0 was the first hard drive I have ever had fail in 12 years of buying many different hard drives. The fail was due to a firmware problem that wiped my data off of the hard drive. I only had the hard drive for 3 months.

Looking into the warranty options, data recovery is sadly not included in a replacement hard drive with the warranty provided by Seagate - which leaves me with a bill of over £500 to attempt to recover my important data - that I have no choice but to pay in order to send outstanding work over to important clients. The warranty options could be a bit more generous with this hard drive, and I am also left wondering how much to trust the brand in future with so many of my files now in jeopardy.
on 21 November 2017
Paid the extra for this hard drive as we'd had a LaCie before and it had seemed good and this one is supposedly 'rugged' and therefore good for carrying around with me out and about. But very disappointed as a very basic matter of the cable having a loose fitting ( and I've tried other cables but it's the fitting on the hard drive that's faulty) means I have to use it very very carefully for fear of it accidentally falling out mid backup if I so much as adjust the position of my laptop. I missed the return window as had a long job loading all my photos and docs and after that thought I'd cope somehow, but really wish I had returned it now. I wonder what else is not well made about it that I can't see.
VINE VOICEon 8 November 2017
Small, attractive and has been doing it's job as a 'Time Machine' backup on my iMac for some 7 weeks now without any problem (I really hope I haven't just jinxed things!!!!). It's set to back up every hour using USB which it does silently and unobtrusively. What's not to like? I'll update re longevity in 6 months or so.
on 20 December 2016
This is the third LaCie rugged I've purchased and they're great, especially with thunderbolt. Not cheap but small, well protected, fast and haven't let me down yet. We use them extensively for video work and photo shoots performing on site backups and transfer of files from location to the studio... great piece of mind and they also look beautiful.
on 16 October 2017
Had this for a few months before it suddenly crashed causing me to lose all of my uni work. There was no reason for it to break as it is clearly a technical issue with the hard drive, as it has power but won't mount on any home screens. When i tried to contact about warranty, which i have proof have signing up to, i was lead to a dead web page and un-contactable phone number. I hope amazon help me resolve this issue and get my hard drive back.
on 29 December 2016
I have bought a few of these over the years to operate as Time Machine backups on various Macs due to the Thunderbolt connectivity. This latest version as the Thunderbolt cable pre-fitted in a neat way which saves space. Super fast and sturdy drives. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.
on 28 June 2017
Drive did not come with "LaCie Private-Public software" as claimed on the product description page. Downloaded this software (only at version 1 and only referring to windows 8) onto drive and could not get it to work. Drive never recognised by Device Manager software
on 29 September 2016
Great hard drive, only negative is that the cord that comes with it is rather short and the protective (thankfully removable) cause the cord to fall out a lot. If they could improve that, and guarantee a longer cord then would definitely give higher rating.