Style Name: USB 3.0|Size: 1 TB|Change

on 17 August 2015
Nice to see a drive of this size that doesn't need a separate power supply. Quite bulky compared to some drives of this type, but quiet in operation. The rubber surround is a sloppy fit and peels off too easily. The interfaces though are very useful for Mac owners; the old Macs mostly have Firewire 800 and the new ones USB3.0 so it's well equipped for a variety of machines. Measured data transfer rates using Blackmagic (read/write) are about 75Mb/s on USB3.0, 70Mb/s on Firewire 800, and just over 30Mb/s on USB2.0. Write is slightly faster than read.

Overall a very useful drive for Mac owners in particular and a handy tool for moving around large video and photo file sets.
on 25 May 2012
I bought this and initially like most of the reviews I was impressed, it's a quick drive, storage is good and the protection is good for being used daily and carried. However after 3 months the connection went (snapped off inside the drive), I do admit to sometimes forgetting to unplug before sticking it in my bag, and Lacie were very good at sending a replacement. However this time despite ensuring I take the cable out of the rear before storing the connection has again started to work loose after a further 4months. For a drive which is suppose to be rugged this is poor. I've had other drives for up to 2-3 years before and never had the cable issue, not sure if the USB 3.0 type connection is the issue (it's a less snug fit) but it's an issue either way. I am now looking for replacements as I can't rely on it.
on 25 February 2016
Works very quickly, and once I discovered the USB cable hidden in the groove, that was a bit hard for me to get out, it was fine. (My problem not theirs, I guess!) The removable cover for the USB connector, makes it more bomb proof in use, if you replace it after taking out the lead.
on 17 November 2015
This drive is compact, quiet and as the name suggests, rugged. It just works, I use it on a modern Mac and after formatting this as my Time Machine drive, it backs up silently and without errors, all I could ask for. I have several rugged drives and even the old ones are still going after years of knocking around in my backpack. I can't comment on the built-in software but I believe they offer encryption of your files too.
on 29 November 2015
LaCie drives are always good professional value. I have over 40 Terabytes of their products and the only fault I have experienced was when I dropped a 2Big 4 Terabyte... I use four of these rugged drives as media for live event filming in Prores HD and they always work.

These are good!
on 4 March 2016
Never written an Amazon review before but feel I have to for this. It's terrible. Unreliable. says rugged is anything but. Using it with new MacBook Pro. all other drives work fine. not this. do not buy.
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2015
I bought this for my graphic designer son's birthday. He puts it in his back pack, pocket, coat pocket etc and it stands up to everything he has thus far thrown at it! Yes it is expensive but a) it looks great and b) it really is rugged!
on 30 November 2015
Remarkably quick delivery (standard 3 day arrived next day) This is quality SSD external dive which included both thunderbolt and USB3 cable. Only used as thunderbolt drive by me to carry my iTunes and i photo libraries and compliment the SSD on my MAC. Very competitive price.
on 12 June 2016
LaCie Ruggeds are always a reliable hard drive. Bus-powered and sturdy, I have this as an expansion hard drive Velcro taped to the lid of my MacBook Pro due to its lightness. Highly recommend portable drive!
on 7 October 2015
I switched to these from a different brand to back up photos after seeing that all my lecturers at college used them, clearly I'm rather easily led. I now own three and will soon buy another so more power to them