Customer reviews

Battle For Seattle
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 October 2011
excuse the rusbbish pun in my review title...best I could do given the time in truth it is very much Nirvana dubbed.
This set of songs could have so easily been just a curious collection...one which you could knowingly take out from time too formulate discussion at a cocktail party(if that's your thing) much as a William Shatner cover album or Paul Anka's rockswings could be used...however it is much more than that.
The songs have a classic reggae sound that seems to hark backwards rather than forwards and that's no bad thing..it has created a timelessness maybe within a set of songs that were likely to be timeless anyway.
The Nirvana and Nirvana/Vaseline's cover translate well ..stand outs straight off for me where Lithium,Come as you are,Heart Shaped Box and Polly..songs that had a melodic groove anyhow but which really shine forth in this treatment.
For all that I'm not saying this songs are better than the Nirvana one's as they aren't but as interpretations they are pretty equal and stand aside the original tunes rather than surpass them.
on 17 September 2011
Oh Lordy - how good is this... am I really the first person to review it here???

A close friend of mine put me onto a couple of pre-release YouTube postings, luckily in time for us to catch the great man do pretty much every song at the Reading Festival on the festival republic stage. As a lover of Nirvana from the release of Bleach (and tragically being old enough to experience the joy of it when it first came out) and also as a lover of true-soul Roots Reggae, this was like a mad clash of worlds that seemed like a personal dream created for me and was without a doubt my highlight of the festival. Little Roy delivered every lyric as if it had come from his own heart, smiling, totally engaging with the ever swelling crowd and, most importantly, without any kind of lyric sheet in evidence at all. It seemed impossible, but the songs of a desperately torn and unhappy man had been filled with joy and love, pure and simple, and rest assured, the album has captured all of this in the studio. Songs like Lithium and Sliver probably lend themselves most easily to a brilliant reworking and the weight and depth of Come As You Are is simply fantastic, but for me the absolute genius of Little Roy and Producer Prince Fatty's interpretations is most evident with the darker songs - Heart Shaped Box and Polly are simply heartbreaking and devastatingly beautiful, delivered by a man who is feeling every word and allowing the listener to clearly hear every syllable. Having immersed myself in this record for the last 10 days, I feel the same listening to it now as when Little Roy finished his set at Reading - when the final notes of Lithium fade you just get the feeling that Kurt is resting a little easier thanks to this astounding project. So thank you Little Roy, massive love to you and all involved with this release, you have made me and a lot of people I know very happy indeed and given us a very unexpected and warm end to the British Summer, please come and tour soon!

I got the album on the vinyl and it sounds gorgeous, you should get it on whatever format allows you to listen to it as many times as you possibly can - I guess I'll end up having to get the download for the I-Pod, but it's currently sounding awesome on my old skool 70s separates. My true hope is that this sells well enough and touches enough hearts that someone somewhere will take a walk through Little Roy's back catalogue, re-issue it and give us the chance to buy his music without having to track down expensive original vinyl copies, first release; the "Prophesy" album please!
on 17 September 2011

on 18 December 2011
Not a nirvana fan i must admit - always thought they were very over-rated. Still, cobain could write a decent lyric even if he couldnt sing or write a melody. Thus little roys blending of those lyrics (with melodies put in their right context), backed up with reggae - works very well. This is a very rich sounding record, beautifully produced. son of a gun is the highlight though they all have their moments. Every track here is far superior to the original which makes this a lot more than just a novelty record. An inspired move for sure - lets just hope the next one isnt full of foo fighters covers.
on 4 April 2013
I'd better confess from the outset that my taste in reggae is more in the dub direction - so for me this album, while beautifully made, isn't quite pushing all the buttons. That said, it's a fine album of tightly-arranged covers of Nirvana's hits, properly "reggaed up". Little Roy's great voice takes a lot of the angst out of Kurt Cobain's lyrics, which is slightly disconcerting when you've become used to the original delivery. This is not an album for skanking out with your psychonaut mates at four in the morning, it's more like a good soundtrack for the rescue and recovery operation the following afternoon. Think Jerusalem by Alpha Blondy, rather than The Dub Factor by Black Uhuru, and you'll not go far wrong.
on 9 November 2013
I stumbled across this album quite by chance and after a quick listen on spotify I knew this was one worth investing in and boy am I glad I did. I'm a massive Nirvana fan and a lover of Bob Marley's Legend. This album combines the best of Kurt and Bob and creates a real gem of a listen in the process. My favourites are Heart Shaped Box and Lithium although the versions of the lesser known Nirvana tracks also work really well. I can listen to this from start to finish no problem. And my kids love it too :)
on 21 November 2011
Saw Little Roy perform a couple of songs from this album on Later with Jools Holland. So thought I would invest in the whole thing. I was not disappointed in any way. The core of the songs still remain vivid but they lend themselves so well to the reggae treatment it is a wholly refreshing and satisfying experience. Totally recommneded to anyone who loves reggae, Nirvana - well any good music...
on 2 November 2011
What a superbly inspired idea, so beautifully executed!

If you are into Nirvana & likes your Reggae vibes too then it surely can't get much better than this - a thoroughly edible offering of deliciously uplifting heaven-sent musical manna!

Please-ease-ease-ease-ease can we have collaboration with Mad Professor for the ultra-dubbed-up follow-up version stylee?!

:-)
on 18 May 2013
This little gem is absolutely wonderful, especially the tracks come as you are and lithium, I have yet to sit and listen to the others fully but I'm certain they'll be excellent with the utterly brilliant chilled voice of Little Roy and the tight backing of the band. A worthwhile purchase for fans of Nirvana and Reggae alike.
on 13 October 2011
I have to agree with the only other reviewer of this on here - I picked up the LP and it is a beautiful sounding album. You'll never listen to Nirvana in the same way again, this is an amazing achievement with many a level of greatness recorded deep in those grooves.

Fantastic stuff.