Customer reviews

on 14 January 2012
These headphones are fab!
I've had them for about 3 weeks now and use them a lot so I thought it was about time to review.

Some reviews said that the sound kept cutting off if they weren't close to the source, the sound quality wasn't great, and that they didn't stay in the ear very well, so here's what I thought.

I use them with an iPhone 4 and I find the reception distance and quality great. I can be in a different room and sometimes still be connected. Even outdoors or around interference I have never had a problem with the signal 'dispersing'.

I appreciate good sound and consider myself a bit of an audiophile and I do like the sound of these headphones. They sound warm and full, with just enough mid and treble. I can listen to these for hours and not feel fatigued by them.

The sound from the mic I didn't find great, quite muffled, so I don't tend to use it, although that isn't what I bought them for.

The buttons are very useful. The volume/track change and the power/play/pause/answer/hang-up buttons are very handy, although the main power button can be quite hard to press when it's new, I hold the headphone with two fingers and press with my thumb to stop it going into my ear! I hope this will become easier over time. It's not really an issue for me now though as it's become habit.

With the new GeckoGrip attachments I do find that they definitely feel more secure than without them, although naturally with the size and weight of them compared to regular buds that they are going to move around slightly depending on what you're doing. I haven't tried them with a more vigorous activity yet to comment on that.
I haven't really tried the extra hook shaped things that are supplied for going round the top of the ears, they seemed a little big for me.

Battery life seems good so far. They do turn off when you plug them in to charge but I have turned them back on and used them at home while plugged in.
The short USB cable is handy for carrying around and charging at work, etc.
The carrying case is also handy and very sexy, if a little bulky, but great for travelling. And the magnetic close is cool if a little hard to open at times.

The case and packaging is very classy and well made, which I appreciated, although then I hate to throw it away if it's so nice. In a way I prefer less sexy, minimal and more recyclable packaging.

I would give these 5 stars apart from they can make my ears ache sometimes; this may be the GeckoGrips, the extra weight, or just that I need to get the right positioning and sizes of grips/buds, time will tell, and also because the sound from the mic when on a call isn't great and has a delay (as do most other bluetooth headsets I imagine).

So anyway sorry for waffling away, and I definitely recommend them! :)
on 12 June 2013
I have been hunting for a new set of wireless headphones for when I do my running. Having tried Moors which go over the head, I wanted to try ones which fit in the ear. Eventually settled on these Jaybirds and initially was slightly concerned that the weight of the ear pieces would cause them to fall out during running (didn't want to use those strange crescent shaped pieces as felt there would be more fiddling about which I don't want!). I ran 10K and they were still firmly in my ears at the end of it. The only small gripe was that it was fiddly to change tracks as it caused a break in sound but that was very minor. All in all loved them, well worth the money.
on 13 March 2013
I mislaid the usb cable that came with these very nice and well presented headphones.
I asked the seller if I could get a spare cable.
The answer: No.
No help whatever.
The usb is not a standard that I could find so if you lose or break the cable you may as well throw the headphones away.
Shame on you, selling things like this that are at the top end and not being able even to offer a link to how I can get a new cable.
on 10 June 2012
Wasn't sure how good they were going to be, not being able to actually try them out.
The good news is the audio performance is very good, my music tastes lean towards base, but perform well across a very wide range. Being wireless, doesn't seem to impact the quality of the sound. In the gym, after a bit of experimenting with the supplied earpieces, they stayed in place and performed perfectly with my iPhone in the pocket, running on the treadmill or working weights.
Overall very pleased !
on 24 June 2012
I have read quite a number of reviews of this product on here.

First off let me say that this product delivers the goods in every single area bar one. These are my first pair of bluetooth head phones but i also have the platronics backbeat go. I have had them for a month. Once you can find the right plugs and ear hooks that suit you, they work flawlessly. I use medium plugs and medium hooks.

PROS
Pairing with the head phones is easy, I have used this to pair with an N8, N9(New phone) and a Blackberry Playbook. I have had no problems.

The sound quality is very good. It is full and rich. The bass level works for me very very well. People on here complaining about the sound dont know what they are talking about. The audio QUALITY defers with each device but across all three the volume can be increased plenty on the ear piece itself and it is loud!
Alot of the complaints about sound come from iphone users. Well the iphone would probably perform better with apple specific accessories as that is what the product and OS is geared towards. If the out put is poor I suggest pairing with another non IOS based deice and then passing judgement. Max out the device volume then use the headphone volume for a very good experience.

The fit and comfort are the best thing about the product. Once fitted you can turn your head freely in any direction and the wont budge. The wire on the back
tends to stick when you sweat but that is a small price to pay indeed. There is interference when moving your head with the ear phones plugged in but it is quite minimal.

The packaging is elegant. The accessories i.e hooks and plugs are varied and excellent.

I use this product for the gym, and for running outdoors with an arm band. The reception is solid and I haven't had any cutouts at all.

CONS
The call quality is not very good. The out put is low, people receiving calls report an echo and that the voice seems far away. I use the backbeat go for making and receiving calls.

Buy these headphones they are well worth it for the price.
on 19 March 2012
I used these for the first time on a 10km run and they were very comfortable. The fitting (which i had tailored prior to the run) was excellent, i used both the normal fittings and the silicon rubbers that fit into your ears. There was no feeling of them falling out or being loose and i didnt have to touch them to reseat them once! I have read reviews saying the sound is not all that, but the clarity, bass and volume was more than sufficient to drown out the traffic and screaming kids around the Safa Park running track, DXB. If i want to listen to music quietly with perfect sound range i would use Bose Quiet Comfort 3 or 15, not these little ear buds!

I used them with the i10 bluetooth streaming transmitter by Kokkia on my ipod nano mounted in a LunaTik watch strap and they paired perfectly no problem. Initially i wore it on my left wrist and although my arms are high to my chest while running the signal did intermittantly drop. However, when i changed to the right wrist (which is recommended by Jaybird Gear) there was no problem with the streaming. (i guess i have to get used to it on my right wrist now).

The wire is a little long for my ear separation and i think i twisted it as i put them on, consequently it did kind of curl up on my right side, that is something i will watch when putting them on next time. other than slight irritation i didnt have any problems with the wire. I have read that you can DIY shorten it with elastic bands, i might also try that.

For my needs they are perfect. If you want earbuds for working out and especially running, these are great. They have a lifetime warranty against sweat (which is actually for lifetime of device lithium rechargable battery i.e. 3 years) but i am not sure how resilient they are in the rain (i know the ipod in the LunaTik is not waterproof) so best not try it!
on 12 June 2012
As mentioned in the title this product exceeded my expectations. This is mainly due to many of the reviews on this site.
I would like to mention some untruths regarding these previous reviews.

1. Sound quality is mediocre = wrong. Sound quality is quite good. The bass is deep and has punch (This can naturally vary depending on what type of music one listens to and what device you use - mine is a BB Bold 9900) I'd say this product is on-par with most 200 quid Sennheisers I've tried out there.

2. The fitting is so-so. = Well, of course we are all built differently, but I seriously cant see how anyone would have problems keeping them in-ear, since USA Triathlon provides us with many fitting options.

3. LED light is near-impossible to see, and it doesn't indicate when battery is flat etc. = This statement is FALSE. Do people not read manuals anymore? The LED size is appropriate (even in sunlight) and indicates stand-by mode, low-battery mode etc etc.

Besides all the above rectifications I agree with everyone else regarding build quality. This thing won't break unless you're trying to do it with a hammer.
on 14 April 2012
I bought a set of the headphones whilst in the USA mid last year, I did find that there was a problem with them dropping out and in the end had to return them to the states for replacement. The customer service was okay, I had to pay duty on the returns which was no fault of J Bird but cancelled out any savings I made

The original fittings they provided of pushing them into your ear and hoping they would stay put were useless, a month or two after I bought these they sent out an update of the clip on hooks which made them finally stay on and I finally thought I had not wasted my money

I use these for running and gym mainly and find them very good, sound quality is surprisingly good, once you get used to the controls you can easily pause and skip tracks as well as adjust the volume, I tend to turn up the iphones I use (4 and 4s)to max to start with then reduce on the headphones

You do seem to need to use an armband on your right arm or you will get drop out (my experience anyway), I have tried with a phone in a running belt and a pocket and it was intermittent, however at other times you do seem to get reasonable range but if you want consistent performance keep it high up on the right arm, something to bear in mind if you think there is a fault it may be the positioning

Battery life I have never had any issues and generally use them for about 3 or 4 one hour sessions before I stick them on the charge, I use my iphone charger to recharge them and have not had any issues ding this

I have used them for phone calls whilst in the gym, voice quality seems okay and the person at the other end could hear me okay

Overall I think they are pretty good, with the correct fittings they stay in place, sound quality is fine for me, they are great for running and the gym but I would not use them in a car as a phone option for any period. I have used them in the past with an HTC wildfire phone and again no issues

Case is good for keeping them safe as it is very solid when travelling, but does look a bit too much like a make-up case for my liking :)

It is quite a lot of money to spend and I have not tried any others to give a comparison
on 20 March 2012
I used these for the first time (bought elsewhere) on a long run recently and they were very comfortable. The fitting (which i had tailored prior to the run) was excellent, i used both the normal fittings and the silicon rubbers that fit into your ears. There was no feeling of them falling out or being loose and i didnt have to touch them to reseat them once! I have read reviews saying the sound is not all that, but the clarity, bass and volume was more than sufficient to drown out the traffic and screaming kids around the Safa Park running track, DXB. If i want to listen to music quietly with perfect sound range i would use Bose Quiet Comfort 3 or 15, not these little ear buds!

on 29 April 2012
I've had these a month now and am very pleased with them. Yes, they're expensive but you get what you pay for.
The sound is excellent played through my Sony Walkman MP3 player and the Bluetooth has a very good range so I can walk about without any wires dangling from my neck whilst my player is in my pocket.
I wear them a lot on the trains and tubes around London, unlike the 7Dayshop Sport Series R7's that I bought a couple of months ago for £20. They were just too bulky and made me look like a Cyborg.
I've bought several pairs of Bluetooth headphones over the last few months and I can safely say that I don't need to look anymore as I have found the best by far.