on 21 July 2015
Brilliant. One murder investigated over 20 days (1 day per episode). The murder isn't cleared up quickly but a lot happens in each episode. Some red herrings to keep one guessing until the last episode. Great. I am looking forward to seeing the next series although I am going to try to pace myself so I don't watch it all in one marathon weekend.
on 9 April 2017
Thanks - great item!!
on 27 January 2015
Watching this made me thankful for a few days of illness, so I could watch the whole thing. Completely absorbing and acutely addictive. The plotting is excellent, none of the twists and turns seemed contrived. The acting is brilliant, every scene is beautifully shot, the sets are perfect. Can't fault it.
on 16 January 2015
Excellent, so well acted and it kept your attention. There were so many twists and turns. The whole cast was under suspicion, each person as a possible culprit. Riveting. I look forward to watching further series. It actually moves very slowly, but an advantage of this is there is time to read the subtitles and take in the plot.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 December 2011
3 stars or 4 stars? I really couldn't decide.
Having watched the Danish version and loved it, I thought I'd take a look at the American version. Although I prefer the original, I am aware that screening a 20 hour long series in Danish with English subtitles in the US is hardly going to be the juggernaut of the ratings. Full credit to the team for then attempting to convey the Danish brilliance into a format acceptable to an American audience and beyond.
The story is initally an exact replica of the original but then slowly finds its own path. There are decent performances from the cast and Seattle is probably as good a US city as any for the story to be based in. I particularly like Joel Kinnaman in the series. He has recently done quite alot of Swedish cinema and certainly plays the role of Holder pretty well, even if it is quite different to that of the Danish version of his character.
It can be hit and miss with remakes. I've yet to see how the upcoming Girl With The Dragon Tattoo will appear in it's newer version. Again the Scandinavian version seems to have set a rung on the ladder that could be very hard to beat. I did watch Queer as Folk years ago. As much as I liked the British original, I preferred the US remake.
The Killing is ideal for you if you want to enjoy a decent whodunnit which explores grief, but without having to sit through subtitles.
Make your own mind up, it's worth a go. But if you like this, then try the original as well. You'll be impressed.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 August 2011
I started watching this having managed to completely miss the original Danish version, The Killing [DVD] [2010] but aware of the encomia heaped upon it. After about three episodes I was having serious doubts about this US remake.

By episode eight I had pretty much given up. The reason? I'd managed to get hold of the Danish one on DVD, scampered through ten or so episodes and was forced to face facts.

Forbrydelsen, the Danish series known here as The Killing, IS TEN TIMES BETTER THAN THE AMERICAN REHASH!

In terms of overall presentation, music, photography, the original is better but more importantly regarding two important areas of the unfolding story: the police and the politicians. Neither Mireille Enos as Sarah Linden nor Billy Campbell as Darren Richmond are a patch on Sofie Grabol or Lars Mikkelsen. Kristin Lehman as Gwen, Richmond's girlfriend, pales into insignificance alongside Marie Askehave. Richmond is too po-faced, the campaign scenes too boring, nothing to compare with Troels Hartmann's fraught but thrilling challenge to the mayor. I think I read that Enos didn't watch the Danish series because she wanted to make her Sarah different from Grabol's Sara Lund. She succeeded, but the Seattle cop is a bore, her travails as a single mom uninteresting. She just looks sour most of the time. Grabol is brilliant at giving the detective a quiet intensity, a sharp mind constantly at work as she remains stubbornly, even obstinately, unruffled by the hand-wringing and criticism coming at her from all sides.

Lund's partner, Meyer (Soren Malling) is more believeable than Linden's grungey junior replacement, Holder (Joel Kinnaman). After half a dozen episodes, I was much more interested in him than Linden, since his grungey look and odd vernacular invited more speculation than Linden's frowning. Which isn't really the idea. Lund and Meyer have a more combustible relationship, his approach more confrontational but also risky, hers subtle and respectful, inviting confidence. On the subject of Ahmed vs Rama, the US version goes off on a different tangent, one that might seem more pertinent for US audiences but is less believeable. Only the actors playing the grieving parents are just about on the same level as the two Danes. Sensibly, the recapitulation at the start of each episode, in the Danish one, reminds us of Nanna Larsen, the US one doesn't remind us of Rosie's terror, and you could be forgiven for forgetting all about her.

To sum up, The Killing USA is a literally pale imitation of the european original and unless you're one of those oddballs who can't cope with subtitles you should navigate away from this page and buy yourself the Danish production. The Danish is even easier on the ear and you'll still need subs to understand the english language in the American version because they mumble a lot.

The Killing [DVD] [2010]
44 Comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2015
Great video, just like the TV series, well worth watching and the lead actress here is also in Fortitude!
on 20 July 2015
Just spot on ! detailed plot, extremely well acted and directed ....... Thoroughly enjoyed it, Danish with subtitles just adds to the suspense .... Looking forward to catching up with series 2. I highly recommend this series if your a True Detective fan
on 9 September 2016
I can normally tell how good a series is by how quickly it gets my interest...I think this took 2 minutes and its not my normal tv show. Murder mystery crime series are always full of wooden acting, predictable plots that drag out new crime scenes each week. The Killing is a massive, mind altering explosion of the opposite.

I am not going to bore you with plot critique or comparisons to the original foreign language version (Which I have watch, but much prefer this as characters are more relatable and the acting is superior)

Simple summary is a murder, one detective who is grumpy, great at her job but the worst parent around The other detective is an amazing opposite to her...amazing acting and casting, excellent story...buy it, there is no excuse.....Moma Sita!
on 10 January 2016
My expectations of The Killing were high after masterpiece of 'The Bridge'. But unfortunately, I was in for a shock of how badly the whole thing was constructed. The ending left me totally frustrated that I wasted my time on watching this series (and it's not a short one!). The finale looked like to me as if they chose the preparator randomly just because the story wasn't thought through enough. In addition, the main character has annoying habit of munching something in her mouth like a cow.

I love Scandinavian drama and it's a shame that I won't be watching the second season. I could not bear another disappointing ending like this. This review relates to the original Danish version. And no, I won't be watching the American re-make either.