Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 December 2011
I have had this album for a long time on vinyl and receiving it earlier this week on CD was a revelation.
The remastering is very well done. The delicate elements, particularly the percussion shine in this remasters.
The session musicians are (were) among the best available when this was recorded as Paul Simon always has been very selective in the sound he was after.
One Trick Pony, Oh Marion and God Bless the Absentee are probably among the best known songs, but this is one of the CDs that is best enjoyed in its entirety.
The bonus tracks are a real bonus and they clearly show that even many of his demo tracks would have made a nice acoustic album.
If possible, I would rate this 4 1/2 stars... as a 5 stars remains only for an indispensable album.
on 7 December 2011
Paul Simon fans know this, but there is no such thing as a bad Paul Simon album. There are a few that I would call less than some others, but the man is a superb craftsman and even his lesser efforts are better than other artist's best. That being said, this is not one of them. There are at least 3 classic songs on "One Trick Pony" and, overall, it holds together very well. The lyrics are accessible but nevertheless continue to intrigue. I have always enjoyed listening to it. Now it is available in a remastered version, with bonus songs and it is, at the time of writing at least, very affordable. So yeah, go for it.
on 10 March 2016
It may not be up there with the best of Paul Simon's work, but it is certainly a lot better than many of the reviews said when it was first released. I haven't seen the film for which it is the soundtrack and nor can I get hold of it unfortunately, but I suspect that I might be able to relate to it a lot more easily if I had. However, as with a good deal of Simon's later, more difficult work, it's actually a grower and as I continue to listen to it, I am warming to it more and more. If you are a Paul Simon fan, just trust in the man and have faith in this wonderful writer and give it a chance!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 August 2015
This is an album I've known about for years and years. It was Mum who bought it originally. I got to hear it once or twice, but never did any more than that until hearing the title track, probably last year and thinking, 'I'd better see if I can get the album!'

Well, thankfully, it's still available with all its goodness. To have the .mp3 version as well as the backup CD should the downloaded version go wrong is a huge bonus. Love all the songs, love Paul Simon.

Happy memories.
on 25 May 2016
For some reason, even though I am a Paul Simon fan....it took 30+ years to happen upon this album....
The tracks, in addition to the chart hits, show Simon at his musical and lyrical best.....the guest musicians compliment the music superbly
And the sprung rhythms are particularly charismatic....
Essential purchase for any lover of quality song writing.....
on 3 December 2014
An old friend,Simon never puts a musical foot wrong,we'll forget about The Capeman,shall we? This C.D.is evidently from a film which I never saw,difficult to see how the songs hang together but as separate pieces of music they're all fine.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 August 2016
Having just bought this on CD; after a few decades without a copy I was stunned at quality of the album. It has some great songs on it, but for me its the interplay between Paul Simon and the band which stunned me. No more so than on the two live tracks "One Trick Pony" and "Ace in the Hole". In particular Ace in the Hole, which has a fantastic funky drive from the band. Eric Gales guitar fills are just incredible "roll on roll on" - music that will move you.

But for sentimental reasons "Late in the Evening" remains my favourite track. In 1980 I saw Paul Simon live at the Hammersmith Odeon in London and when they (the same band) played it the roof practically came off. One of my favourite musical moments from any concert I've ever been to.

There isn't a bad track on the album, its just that some are greater than others. The extra tracks are also very good.
on 15 February 2013
Paul Simon is an excellent songwriter and performer ,One Trick Pony is music i like with some good chord
changes. Late in the evening , is a great rock song ,one trick pony and ace in the hole are recorded live,
the musicianship is excellent here,it makes for a very satisfactory album for 1979
Gerry Mc Garry

ianship is excellent here,

on 3 August 2012
Love this gem. Used to own it on vinyl and wore it out. Saw the film of the same name years ago and although he's not an actor he did really well and it was great to hear the songs in the context of the film storyline, which made it even more enjoyable. This CD comes with a few extra's and is well worth the money. Buy and enjoy.
on 12 March 2012
Not the CD in my case, but on Vinyl @ 33.33 rpm. There was a film too I believe but I don't think it got much of a release, and not here in UK. Just getting out to remind me, Oh yes here we are.On the whole the first side (it's an LP) is stronger. Late in the Evening starts the album off well, with Simonish images, and Ace in the Hole does the same for the second side. Try it, you'll like it if you are a Paul Simon fan. The band here is a great line-up too.