on 29 November 2013
This lens is simply brilliant. It's super sharp and produces excellent pictures. I shot some of my best pictures with this nice piece of glass.
Apart from using it as a macro lens, it's really good for portraits and as a general medium range lens, if you are into prime lenses.
The stabilizer works like a charm and you can easily take shots handheld at a lower shutter speed and still get sharp pictures.
I also tried the Canon stabilized version, and although it's slightly better, the difference is so small that it doesn't justify the higher price of the Canon version.
Highly recommended.
on 21 August 2013
In the interest of clarity I'm writing this mainly to correct a couple of product details that Amazon seem to constantly and annoyingly misdescribe on many items.

The lens weighs approx 750g (not 1.1 kg). This weight is without the hood (of which there are 2, one wide and one narrow) which can be used individually or joined together each 4.5cm long). The lens is 12.7cm long by 7.9cm diameter (but I have no idea what the dimension "321.1" quoted above by Amazon means).
The minimum focus I've found to be between roughly 13cm (manual) and 14 cm (AF) from the lens face, so I'm assuming the "Focus Limiter Switch" settings on the lens (position 0.312 to 0.45m) equates somehow to the overall distance from object to camera sensor. I've found the width of an image captured at this close range to be 22mm (M) and 23mm (AF) (I'm using a Nikon D7100 which has a DX sensor) which agree the manufacture specs of a 1:1 reproduction ratio (DX sensor = 22.5mm x 15mm). Also AF tends "unsurprisingly" to hunt in this close range working under room light conditions but works fast and decisively in both daylight and when the subject is further away from the lens under the same low lighting conditions. I think this primarily because the AF assisted light is shaded by the long lens length and unable to illuminate close-up objects.
The optical stabilization I think is not as quiet as Nikon's VR system (e.g, the 16-35mm), although it is still quiet and you need to listen out for it but it sound that it has system is slowly spooling up over 4 to 5 seconds.

Lastly these optics give excellent image quality (IQ), and after some scrutinizing pixel peeking on my images produced so far, both macro and general photography, I really struggle to find any significant signs of chromatic aberration. To summarize this is a good lens and I can't fault it but I bought this when Sigma-Imaging were having a £100 cashback so it seems a good buy at the time for just over £460 (minus the £100). Had it not been for the promotion I would have opted for the Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras which has better reviews and won several awards and is priced without any cashback gimmick at about £360.
on 30 May 2016
I have to say that I have been blown away by this lens.
Before buying I did a bit of research and found that this lens was out-performing much higher priced lenses, just as well really because at the time I bought it I was a little fiscally challenged.
The lens comes in a robust, padded case. The instructions are good and the two lens hoods are good quality.
There are three distance settings on the lens which will keep it from hunting across its range for point of focus. I found the AF, when distance limited to be quite quick, for subjects that are further away it isn't bad but not lightning quick by any means.
Manual focus is with the fantastically large focussing ring, this is very positive in movement.
Image stabilisation is very good, and indeed very welcome! Stabilisation has two three settings, off, all axis and one for use when on a tripod, can't remember off hand what axis this is for. It is good though and very noticeable in use.
The f2.8 max aperture gives the ability to really throw the background and provides great bokeh.
All in all a great lens that I am more than happy with. I have had no regrets at all about buying the lens and have no plans to replace it with a more expensive manufacturers model.
review image review image review image
on 1 March 2015
Excellent lens, for both macro and non-macro photography. I recently Submitted an insect shot using this lens to Countryfile magazine and was awarded 'photo of the month' accolade.
Follow- up, July 2015: unfortunately my copy of this lens has developed AF problems and is now unreliable. I have replaced it with the Canon 100mm L macro.
on 26 July 2013
What a great lens. It compares well to the Canon 100mm macro L lens that my son bought but quite a bit cheaper.
Excellent build quality with a very well made carry case.
on 19 April 2015
I went on a macro photography course and borrowed a Canon lens for the day which inspired me to want to get a lens for myself so that I could do more. However, I could not justify the cost of the Canon version for the amount of usage I would get. Whilst this is by no means cheap it is about half the price of the comparable Canon 100mm version. As far as I can tell, and I am only an enthusiastic amateur rather than an expert,, the results are every bit as good. My only slight criticism is that it comes with an exceptionally well padded carrying case but for me it is a bit bulky to be carrying round with me so, although I use it for storage, I have bought a more compact case for when I am carrying it with me.
on 31 July 2013
Well pleased with this Lens. It's quite heavy, but the results are worth it.Apart from a great macro lens it takes great portraits too
VINE VOICEon 6 February 2016
This is a 105mm fixed macro lens, 1:2:8. It does support excellent macro photography, which I love - but I do find it struggles on the autofocus, so much so that my impatience has led to it being switched to manual. That's fine, as it takes good shots, but does mean I have to wear my glasses. But, for a macro lens, it is a small inconvenience. The pictures are wonderful. And for me, the quality improvement was worth it.
on 12 June 2014
This lens is a worthwhile rival to any equivalent Canon 'L' series lens but much cheaper. Sigma have done a great job on this piece of equipment. Sharp and bright at any aperture and some of the macro shots I've taken have shown me how the tiny world of flowers and bugs is just as beautiful as anything you'll see.
on 12 June 2016
Ok normally I buy Canon brand lenses but I took a shot on this and was really impressed with the results. It works great on my 5D ii and 5D iii. Auto focus is a little sluggish so maybe that's the trade off although for macro you might tend to use manual focus anyway for greater control.

The IS works great for hand holding but for serious macro work get your camera on a tripod :) (that's not a complaint of the lens just a general tip)