TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 July 2017
An isolated village, surrounded by a stone circle, populated by unnaturally happy people and children who all possess scientific genius. There are no couples, only widows or the never-married. There's no vicar and the church doors are chained shut. Nobody ever leaves the village...There's something strange going on in Milbury, as Adam Brake and his son are about to find out. This is science-fiction steeped in folklore and the combination is eerie and compelling. Filmed on location in and around the Avebury stone circle during that endless summer of 1976, Children of the Stones is simply brilliant television. The story keeps you guessing and thinking right to the very end, after which it still keeps you pondering questions of physics and philisophy. The acting is very good, particularly the late Gareth Thomas and Iain Cuthbertson, and the children put in convincing performances. The effects stand up well for a forty year old programme, and that theme tune is plain creepy. This programme is one of those moments when everything just went right; a cracking story, a good cast and an atmospheric location all came together during that perfect summer.
6 people found this helpful
on 23 March 2013
Filmed during the legendary drought summer of 1976 and broadcast in 1977 - The Children of the Stones was and is the most frightening children's tv programme ever made. It scared the life out of me when I first watched it as a 6 year old. I only watched it once but the impact has never left me. From the scary opening sequence, with the spooky music and eerie shots of the stones of Avebury circle. I've just watched it again after 36 years and have been impressed how well it has aged. Its still atmospheric and the plot is intelligent. They call it "The Wicker Man" for children. I agree. Best children's tv show ever.
37 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2013
This was a reminder of when children's TV was good quality, well made and very entertaining. The storyline in this fantastic series is well written and very intelligent and even when watching it again with my 11 and 13 yr olds, very scary!
I have heard it is being made into a musical too. Yes, the special effects are dated but this does not detract from the sinister characters or the spookiness of the music and the chanting. Always a cliffhanger at the end of each episode wanting you to quickly watch the next!
A great series for teenagers and maybe their parents too to reminisce their youth in the late 70's.
A must-have for your DVD collection!
21 people found this helpful
on 9 December 2011
Having vaguely remembered this spooky series form so long ago it was great to see it again and compare my memory with the original experience.

If you allow for all production styles of the time and that the series was aimed at children this remains a great piece of entertainment and a story I suspect could easily be remade in the same form in the future, or a movie?
22 people found this helpful
on 2 December 2017
Wow,i realy love this,just my cup of tea.They don't make a tv series like this anymore,which is a shame for children of today,Children's tv will never be better than it was in the 70s and early 80s. The reason i say that,is because adults can enjoy them too.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 April 2017
Great part children's series featuring Gareth Thomas.
I've given this 4 stars..would have been 5 stars..but 'Network' who who obtained the license to re release this on dvd,didn't include the original 'extras' that were on the original dvd releases earlier.
Shame , hope that 'Network' look into this and don't make the same mistake again..as fans of the series who were kids themselves back in 1977 when it 1st appeared on tv,I'm sure would have liked the original interviews/photos and filmographies that were on the original dvd release much earlier.
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2014
I half caught some of this series in my late teens, and it really really stuck in my mind. So much so that I hunted the DVD down 35 years later - AND I am writing this review. If you also remember the various TV adaptations of Alan Garner books, you will kind of know what to expect. the atmosphere is VERY brooding. Think The Owl Service meets a serious Catweazle on a bad LSD trip. The real star of the show is Avebury Stone Circle.

A Children's version of the feel of Quatermass and the Pit!
5 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2017
I am glad I bought this DVD, it is nice to see a childrens horror series, it is just like a Hammer horror lite.
I enjoyed watching a few episodes last night. I don't think kids today would find it as scary as we did back when this went out.
Worth getting just for the nostalgia
One person found this helpful
on 3 June 2018
Fantastic. Re-lived our youth watching this dvd. Just as scary as I remember and my teenage kids loved it too. Has some great cheesy 70s moments and haircuts. interesting to see how tv has changed / half shot in film and half in video. An iconic series and really recommended!
on 18 July 2017
Loved this as a youngest. Still as entertaining as I remember. The story stands up and it has stood the test of time. Thank you
One person found this helpful