Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 September 2011
An interesting programme, including familiar and unfamiliar pieces. Everything is sung quite beautifully. Presumably these boys are under 13: the surprise is in the maturity of many of the voices - confident delivery, beautiful voices - often with full vibrato.

I sang in a really famous boys' choir 40 years ago and we were able to go on till our voices changed (I didn't have to stop till I was 15 and a half). Cathedral choirs nowadays mostly lose their boys aged 13, just when they are beginning to be able to sing intelligently.

These "Songbook" boys deliver the sort of programme which the boys of my own choir might have delivered 40 years ago and they do it most beautifully - and much younger, I guess, than we were. And what a lot of superb soloists!

Hooray for 2011 boys confident enough to admit to being BOY SINGERS. I hope the boys on this delightful CD are really proud of what they have recorded. How sad that so many of their co-evals will assume that because they sing as they do, they are to be pitied!
on 10 December 2011
This collection of songs from the boy choristers of Tewkesbury Abbey's Schola Cantorum is fascinating for its programme and for the quality of the singing, particularly that of the remarkable treble soloist, Laurence Kilsby, in Quilter's, Music, when soft voices die. The highly sensitive accompaniments of Helen Porter and Benjamin Nicholas's direction help to make this a quite remarkable recording.
on 8 January 2013
The singing on this recording is so very beautiful I only wish I could see and hear them in person. Those of you who enjoy listening to a boys treble voice and who also enjoy beautiful music will enjoy this CD from the start to the finish. The harmonizing is very well done and the choir as a whole are wonderful but the voice of Laurence Kilsby will amaze you because he has such a beautiful voice. A little note about Laurence. In 2009 he won the BBC Radio 2 Young Chorister of the Year Award.

In my opinion you will not be disappointed if you purchase this CD from the Trebles of Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum, UK
on 13 February 2012
A good selection from a very good but not so well known choir, I hope this review will help if only in some small way to increase their popularity, I hope to hear many more recordings from this very good choir.
on 12 July 2016