on 4 September 2012
I found these excellent, I see a previous reviewer managed to bend one but as we used these poles for hill walking and hiking rather than climbing (so the weight is always down the shaft) we found them quite strong enough. They fix in length very well - no sudden collapse of the locking mechanism and fit in luggage easily. I thought them light in weight for what they are (and the price). Those with large hands might find that the hand grips are not long enough for them. - Three years on one of the locking mechanisms on one of our four poles has failed but so pleased with them we bought two new pairs and I see that the hand grips are now a little larger.
on 14 January 2013
They seem to work fine though might be a problem if you are heavy or clumsy (this applies to most of these aids). I bought these because you must have collapsable poles if you are travelling by air. Read the instructions in how to adjust them. It wasn't obvious to me how to do it (but I'm a bit on the dim side).
on 3 December 2011
Excellent product for the price. Not particularly light but fold small for travel.
Used them for the first time in very slippery muddy conditions - prevented many messy slips!
Find out how to use them effectively (good websites) - they make a great difference on hills - up and down! They will come apart if you pull the sections too far but this is easily fixed.
on 18 May 2012
These poles are my first and I think they are great. They really saved my knees on a trekking trip to Nepal. Four sections are handy as it can be extended to exactly your chosen length and shortened to just 55cm for transit which is shorter than others I have seen. Hand grips were comfortable and non-slip - no blisters! The weight was light and easy to store in my backpack. For a longer trek I think I would pay a few extra pounds and go for something super light.
on 12 July 2014
These really are shorter than the competition, which is why I bought them for situations where I'm using a smallish day sack and I can't easily fit my beloved Pacerpoles onto the side of the sack. They seem tough to me and no problems so far, although perhaps I haven't tried the ultimate stress on them (for me this is coming down uneven and eroded slopes with lots of bits of fissured rock). They could be even shorter as far as I'm concerned.
on 4 February 2014
Bought these for a walking holiday as our Kohla poles are too long to fit in a suitcase. Tried them yesterday on a walk and they seem very good indeed, so have ordered another pair. Handles seem comfortable, mechanism works fine, very light compared to other poles I've tried (although there are some I've seen at £100 each that are probably lighter). At less than £20 a pair we're very happy!
on 5 December 2012
I enjoy walking and travel 'light'. Bought these as at 55cm they are OK for cabin baggage on a plane - but check what will fit in your bag first. I take a rucksack and there was no problem. The poles are heavier than my other poles - I suspect that is partly the penalty of 4 sections - but they seem sturdy, are comfortable and do the job. Just a pity there was no 'anti-shock' option.
on 17 November 2015
I bought these from a different source.

I used them on a recent hike under wet conditions and I found these to be ok. It's my first time using trekking poles so I went for these cheap pair to get a sense of what I wanted from a set.

The good points are:
- Collapses to 55cm so I can take it abroad without having to replace my luggage set
- Easy to adjust the length which is vital for me since I need different length settings for ascent and descent
- Grips are good. For the ascent, I'm able to grip them tight and on the descent, when I switch to resting my palms on the top of the grip, there is enough surface area to do this

Bad points:
- You twist each section to secure/unsecure but unfortunately, it loosened twice on the descent causing the pole length to shrink as I applied pressure and ended up losing my footing on one occasion. I twisted my ankle as a result so I lost a little confidence in these poles. By comparison, my friend, who had a pair of Black Diamond poles, had something that rigidly secured the section joints so although these Trekrite poles are functionally not bad and priced competitively, maybe you get what you pay for.
- Ferrule attachment is simple. You just push them on to the end. This also means they come off very easily. Placing your poles in tight spots between rocks or in thick mud will detach the ferrule. Luckily I noticed it every time and I went back to collect it. After a few unplanned detachments, I had to tape them up with gaffer tape. This is a fix but not a solution that customers should have to come up with.

In summary, this isn't a bad set but I now know what I want.
(1) I want the section joints to be secure. I've gone off the twisties and will look for FlickLock.
(2) I want the ferrules to stay on. Not sure if other brands fare any better.
(3) I still want poles that collapse to a decent length so I can take them abroad.
(4) I think I want anti-shock to absorb the impact on the descent.

Unfortunately, the loosening of the section joint has put me off.
on 7 June 2014
There is a saying "Buy cheap, buy twice". Well they were so cheap, I bought them as an experiment. so I don't mind buying twice. They are not perfect - they can be quite fiddly especially because they need to be tightened enough not to slip (ie shorten unintentionally) yet you still need to be able to undo them when you are finished. A more expensive system uses clips to tighten the sections, rather than a twisting action. I used them recently on a muddy walk and they were a godsend; I'll get a bit more experience with them and then I can decide if I want to spend much more on a pair that justify their price. I gave them 4 stars because I think they are great value, but not perfect.
on 21 May 2015
Tho' light, these are very strong. As well as Peak District use, they're - well, one - is needed in town for good, propelled walking. One wonders what physios don't prescribe these instead of low down clunky walking sticks that just about give support when chinwagging but too much else. Of course wits will comment about not having skis.