Platform: PlayStation 3|Change

on 17 March 2017
Metal Gear Solid, the grandfather of stealth games, at its best. Unless you severely hate the genres of "stealth" "excellent/detailed story" "action" "weapons" "(real) world (war/conflict) history" "slight, realistic, sci-fi" "politics", I would consider the MGS series a much play.
on 3 September 2016
5 games on one bluray.
Metal Gear Solid and Portable Ops is missing and some of the mini-games (that were on MGS2 Substance, MGS3 Subsitence, plus standard MGS3) are missing, though this is no fault of Amazon.

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 3 with Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake rereleases (A few changes from the MSX2 originals- a few of the character's Codec pictures have been changed. (I.e. They no longer look like recognisable actors! and are more in line with their MGS looks)

Pick it up if you've never played one of these brilliant but barmy games!
on 5 July 2012
I've always wanted to play the Metal Gear games, but unfortunately never got round to it, however i took this chance to finally catch up on a large chuck of the series.
Games don't age that well, however they did the best they could here, I would have loved perhaps updated controls as getting used to the unusual set-up is tricky.
It's the shame about the lack of MGS1, however it can be downloaded from the PS Store.
Overall it's a great purchase, 3 games (5 if you count the 2 retro Metal Gear games) for a great price with plenty to keep you entertained for weeks.
on 20 April 2017
Unfortunately the game stopped working after one day but I did play it for a few hours. I didn't enjoy it at all. The controls are overly complicated and the graphics are not very good. Maybe I needed to spend more time playing the game but my experience was underwhelming. Dishonored and the Last of US are better games IMO.
on 30 March 2017
Great
on 14 September 2015
Exceptional
on 24 March 2013
HIGH RECOMMEND to those that just go into it on MGS4. MGS2 is good but MGS3 is even better! The HD really is a good way to either replay them or play them for the first time!
on 10 August 2015
MGS2 & MGS3 are just as good as the originals and definitely worth a buy. (As for Peace Walker I wouldn't know). 5/5 for value.
This High-Definition remastered game has literally left me speechless, before I decided to put in the disk, I got down my old PS2, blew off the dust and whipped in Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons Of Liberty (PS2), Due to the picture which was originally not meant for 1080p resolution being stretched across an 1080p TV screen, I didn't get that sense of feeling I had when originally playing it. I did this so not only could I compare the difference, but also wanted to check my memory card which I had two saved slots; one from 2003 & another from 2005! Can't believe how long it's been!

So anyway, after having a little browse I decided it was time to turn on the PS3, insert the HD collection and start up the game.

Before you get into the game you are presented with a title screen featuring the games in an order relevant to the MGS story timeline: MGS3 - MGS2 - MGS:PW, I personally really liked the way it was laid out and you even get a chance to view the whole instruction manual before starting the game.

The first one I started with was MGS2, as soon as the opening credit/movie came on I instantly had an overwhelming amount of nostalgia running through my head... it looked beautiful, the up-scaling was PERFECT, it looked just like as if I were playing it for the first time in 2002, if not better!

As for the menu system, you navigate with the "X" button rather than the classic "O", you can still make the thunder sounds at the title screen though. The gameplay is super smooth and whilst a lot of games nowadays have changed the way the button layouts are, you wont struggle going back to the old styled ways EXCEPT for the "First Person Mode" in the VR missions; if anyone is used to playing FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefield, you will find it extremely hard, but just under the level options; ie. "Level 1", "Level 2" ... "Level 5", you will see a "Controls" tab, click that and change it to "Type 2", this will change it to the style modern FPS use the button & stick layouts.

Just like MGS2, MGS3 & Peacewalker also look amazing in this collection.

I think it's safe to say most people who are checking out this product are people who have played this game before, so if your one of those people who liked this game in the past, I highly recommend this game, you will NOT regret it.

Those who haven't heard of Metal Gear Solid, but like stealth-action-shooting based games with an intensely amazing storyline with a slight complexity to it, I would seriously recommend getting this game and purchasing the original Metal Gear Solid on the PlayStation Network. I would also recommend playing in either two orders:
*Metal Gear Solid 3 -> Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker -> Metal Gear Solid 1 -> Metal Gear Solid 2 (For timeline order).
*Metal Gear Solid 1 -> Metal Gear Solid 2 -> Metal Gear Solid 3 -> Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker (Game release order).

If I could give this game collection more stars, I would!
on 24 May 2012
Kojima Productions and Bluepoint have done what is no less than an utterly stellar job at porting these modern classics, which is exactly what these titles deserve.

You get 3 of the most renowned MGS titles in this package, and all of them have been upscaled properly to HD, in true widescreen, and at 60fps with little to no lag whatsoever. All 3 of the titles subsequently are fluid and crystal-clear visually, with the audio proving similar.

Of course, that's not your proverbial lot. The version of MGS3 you get is effectively the much sought-after Subsistence release, meaning you're getting the improved 3D camera from MGS4, as well as both the original MSX Metal Gear titles. MGS3 in HD on its own would have been fairly sufficient to say the least, but the knowledge that you're getting the definitive version of the game is very reassuring indeed.

The biggest changes so far have come to Peace Walker. An excellent game in its own right on the PSP, for sure, but the enhanced controls and crisper visuals just push it up a few notches further. It's also currently the only title to support the hilariously-named Transfarring. At the moment, it allows you to transfer your PW save to-and-from your PSP and PS3; for example, I was able to start from almost exactly where I left off on my PSP copy of PW. The only hitch at the moment with this is that the Transfarred save won't automatically gain any trophies, even if you've completed those particular criteria already, but this makes sense considering. Presumably the functionality will extend to MGS2 and 3 also, when the forthcoming Vita version of MGS HD is released.

If you're a Metal Gear fan, you pretty much owe it to yourself to own this. It's the absolute pinnacle of what the Classics HD line should represent, providing an improved overall experience whilst keeping the feeling of the original games intact. And, if you think about it, you're technically getting 5 games.