Platform: PlayStation 3|Change
Price:£15.95+ £2.03 shipping

on 3 September 2016
5 games on one bluray.
Metal Gear Solid and Portable Ops is missing and some of the mini-games (that were on MGS2 Substance, MGS3 Subsitence, plus standard MGS3) are missing, though this is no fault of Amazon.

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 3 with Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake rereleases (A few changes from the MSX2 originals- a few of the character's Codec pictures have been changed. (I.e. They no longer look like recognisable actors! and are more in line with their MGS looks)

Pick it up if you've never played one of these brilliant but barmy games!
on 20 April 2017
Unfortunately the game stopped working after one day but I did play it for a few hours. I didn't enjoy it at all. The controls are overly complicated and the graphics are not very good. Maybe I needed to spend more time playing the game but my experience was underwhelming. Dishonored and the Last of US are better games IMO.
on 13 February 2017
ordered a pre-owned good condition but it actually looks brand new with no scratches on the disc at all & arrived a day after being dispatched, definitely deserves a 5 star!
on 26 February 2017
I played and loved this game years ago when it first came out. However it has really shown its age now.

I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution before revisiting MGS3, and it might be unfair to compare two games from two different generations, but they could have improved MGS a lot more in a remaster. The controls and camera (although it has improved) pretty much ruin the game for me now. Switching between walking, crawling, and taking cover behind objects require individual commands and actions that are painfully slow compared to the likes of Deus Ex: HR. It just takes far too long, and this combined with the camera angles issues, makes the game challenging in a bad way.

The graphics have been remastered, apparently, but I don't see a huge difference.

The soundtrack is pretty good, and cut-scenes can be an issue for those not acquainted with the MGS style.

As for the gameplay, again at the time it seemed fascinating, but now, having to shoot snakes and fruit with an MK22 becomes rather tedious, as is the medical system of treating your injuries.

Overall, I was quite disappointed, but I should have known better. Nostalgia can be blinding, and in this case it cost me. There are still enjoyable games in here, but I struggle to enjoy them. I haven't played anything after MGS4 (which has similar but not so severe issues), so I'll be interested to see if they change the control scheme.
on 3 February 2012
This is something I've been waiting a long, long time for. Honestly, the delay for the UK version was like a knife twisting in my gut. The PS2 era was my era for gaming, so the series of 'HD Collections' of PS2 era games for the PS3, updated to be played in HD with higher frame rates, have been a godsend for me.

In this HD Collection, we get Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and, for the first time on a 'big' console, MGS Peace Walker - a PSP title updated for the big screen. Some fans have bemoaned the lack of MGS1, the first game in the 'Solid' era that really brought the series to the attention of the Western world, but I consider this a wise decision. Apparently they explored the possibility of including it but found that a PSX era game could not be upconverted to anything vaguely resembling high definition. Rumour has it that Hideo Kojima has designs on bringing a completely remade version of MGS1 to us at a later date, likely coinciding with an anniversary of some kind. This will be far better in my opinion. In the meantime, for those yet to experience it, the original MGS1 title is available to purchase on PSN for a tiny fee, and for those with an old PSX copy of the game knocking around, you can play it on your PS3 (it was only PS2 backwards compatibility that was sacrificed in later PS3 hardware revisions, so all PS3's play PSX games)

As regards the updated graphics, well they can certainly hold their own now on a modern HD display. I played MGS2 a couple of years ago on my PS2 and it really did suffer on a modern HD display, but now in pure 720p both PS2 games can really hold their heads high. Of course they cannot rival a game such as Uncharted, that was only ever conceived with HD in mind, but for an upconversion job you will be hugely impressed. HD displays tend to fudge the graphics of PS2 games, and I often found it difficult to spot animals and items in the jungle and other shadowy parts of the MGS3 levels. Not so now, the increase in clarity gives you a much better command of your environment. Another great feature is that the games now play in 16:9 widescreen instead of full screen 4:3, and I mean REAL widescreen, not just zoomed and cropped, so we have more side of screen information than we saw in the PS2 versions. For those with the equipment to decode it, audio is full surround sound now, too. Not just in the cut scenes like the originals, but while you're actually playing the levels. This adds a welcome element of reality, as you can hear the direction the enemies are approaching you from.

Words cannot describe how happy I am that they gave us the fully controllable 3rd person camera from MGS3 Subsistence. I always believed that Subsistence turned the vanilla 'Snake Eater' version of the game from merely a good, to a brilliant game. Obviously the technology given to the player has to reflect the period in history concerned, so MGS3 being set in the cold war era 1960's could not have had the state of the art radar system of MGS 1 and 2. All fair and well, until you realise that keeping the overhead camera of the previous games while taking away the radar never made for fluid game-play. The gamer often found himself running into the field of vision of guards and soldiers that you could not yet see in your own field of vision. This led to many tiresome instances of you hiding behind a bush or a rock until the guards had stopped looking for you and your alert level had come down. The only way to avoid this in the vanilla Snake Eater is to stop every few paces and scout the area for enemies with use of the first person perspective button, which takes a lot of fluidity out of the game. Thankfully, this was something that Kojima and team were willing to address for Subsistence. The result is a fully controllable camera, that sits behind the character in a more traditional position, akin to a modern 3rd person game, and can be panned a full 360 degrees to better survey the surrounding territory. It isn't that it makes the game easier, just more fluid. Had they not given us the Subsistence version of MGS3 in this collection, it would definitely have been a deal breaker for me. Of course fans more familiar with the vanilla Snake Eater camera can click a button and play it the old way instead. MGS2 plays as it ever did, which for me is great because if it isn't broke, you don't fix it. Peace Walker plays differently of course, owing to the controls being adapted for the PS3 pad. By most accounts this has improved the game, as we now have a second analogue stick to control the camera, which makes for a more modern feel, or so I'm told.

I have only dipped my toes into Peace Walker as of yet, so I'm far from an authority. Especially so as I never owned a PSP. However, I am pleased with what I see. On the graphics side of things, it doesn't quite shine as much as its two older brothers, but this is of course understandable as it was made for a smaller screen. Anti-aliasing has been applied in spades with the upconversion and, while it does have the higher definition textures, AND gets rid of the jaggies from the PSP version, the anti-aliasing blends and obscures some of the more intricate details I see in screenshots of the original PSP title. However, playing the game in HD on a big screen with a proper control pad is more than worth that sacrifice. I hear that this game is absolutely HUGE, with more hours game play than any incarnation of the series yet. Which is kind of odd considering it was originally made for the smallest system. The comrade system used in the previous PSP title 'Portable Ops' is dropped this time, in favour of a more traditional Co-operative mode, and this forms a BIG part of the game by all accounts. I believe at several points, many gamers feel it is almost mandatory that they receive the help of another player. Of course for this you will need to be connected to the internet. From what I can tell so far, the story is far less bizarre and more straightforward than usual, and is helped along by beautifully rendered graphic novel style cut scenes.

You will also be pleased to hear that they have given us the best of the extra features from the 'Substance' and 'Subsistence' versions of MGS 2 & 3. Most of the immediately noticeable omissions, from memory, seem to be from Subsistence, so there's no Metal Gear Online, as that has been superseded with the online game from MGS4. The Duel Mode and Snake vs Monkey mode also appear to be missing. The skateboarding game from MGS2 Substance isn't here either. But yes, we DO get the most important and anticipated features - the original two 'Metal Gear' era titles that were previously only available on the Japanese MSX home computer system. These are pixel perfect, English language ports and are really good games for their era. They will prove FAR more than a novelty to hardcore fans of the series. We also get the 'Alternative Missions', 'VR Missions' and 'Snake Tales', that all came with MGS2 Subsistence. 'Casting Theater' and 'Boss Survival' modes also become available after completing MGS2 on any difficulty setting.

All in all there is enough Metal Gear Solid here for fans to bathe in for months, and I for one will be putting the Do Not Disturb sign on the door a good many times in the foreseeable future. If you are unfamiliar with the PS2 and PSP eras of the franchise and have only come to the series by way of PS3's MGS4, you really do owe it to yourself to experience these unmissable slices of MGS history. And at this price point, the games have never been cheaper.

*EDIT*: It has come to my attention that to play the game with DTS audio instead of Dolby Digital, you have to untick the Dolby Digital option in the sound settings of your PS3's XMB. This was obviously an oversight on the developer's part, and if you have both the Dolby Digital and DTS options ticked in the PS3's settings, the game will default to Dolby Digital instead of the far superior DTS format. I will inform Konami of this and hopefully they can patch it. Just don't forget to re-tick the Dolby setting afterwards, as it will mess you about with other games, DVD's and Blu-rays if you forget. Another [MAJOR] annoyance I found was that owing to the difference in ratio between the PSP's screen and our 16:9 HDTV's, the default display settings on Peace Walker have a fair bit of text and edge of screen icons seemingly cut off. The in-game pause menu settings have no way to overcome this, and many players have simply put up with the annoyance. However, there is an initial title menu screen in Peace Walker where you start/load your game that is very easy to overlook or skip past (use up and down to select). It has several categories; ranging from deleting save files, changing the in-game language, 'Transfarring' (the ability to use PSP save files on PS3 and visa versa), and finally, hidden away under the 'Extras' category, the ability to adjust the screen to your display. I found that adjusting it so the arrows in the corner barely fit your screen, meaning a tiny amount of black to give you a buffer, is by far the best compromise... but you might want to have a good old tinker with this setting and see what suits your TV best.
3131 Comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2012
Its fair to say that I love MGS. Love it. I love the attention to detail, the bat-crap crazy story, the carefully directed gameplay, the Easter eggs and the over-long cutscenes. As a gamer, I 100% bought into the world, where the MGS series constantly battles for my affections as my favourite game series with the Half-Life series. Which one wins is usually the last one I played. So today its the MGS series.

So, if you are like me and love Metal Gear Solid but you have no way to play it because your PS2 broke (and lets face it, I don't really want a PS2 under my TV any more) then you are a lucky lad/lass, because no matter what HD console you bought this generation, you get the pleasure of some of the finest games ever created. In my opinion.

The main menu is the game selection screen. I particularly liked this screen as it displays the games in a form of timeline, where MGS3 comes first and ends with MGS2. When you click on a game a brief description of it comes up along with the original menu music of that game. It was at this point it hit me. When I scrolled across to MGS2 and heard that menu music I just grinned like an idiot. The rush of familiarity just came rushing back, as memories of ten years ago filled my head. So many hours I have spent playing this game. In fact, my original review of MGS2 still survives on this site somewhere. Its terrible.

I started with MGS3 as I have never played it before. About 2 years ago I bought my friends old PS2 just so I could play it, but I never got round to it. I even bought the Subsistence version (2nd hand of course, I'm not obscenely rich) just so I could have the right camera angles. But it looked crap on my big telly, there was no widescreen, the framerate was awfull, the textures were mush and it was impossible to see the guards walking around. Not so with this version. It was a glory to behold. Everything was visible, everything was crisp and sharp, including the poor PS2 textures. Many people will have played MGS3, but few will have played it with the revised camera. The world is far easier to negotiate and makes life easier for those used to playng MGS4. Now I have finally completed it, I can say its probably my favourite MGS in the series. If you want to know what a hard game feels like to play, try this. It's tough if you want to play it right.

Then I picked up MGS2 and all the memories started to flood back. After more than 10 years away I had forgotten much, but there were some things that never left. I remember my excitement when I finally got this game back in the day, I even had a crowd of people watching me play it on my first playthrough. So many happy memories came flooding back. I loved messing with the guards (hold them up, shoot the arm, shoot the radio behind them, shoot the leg, put your gun away and watch what happens), the level design, everything. I can't remember grinning quite so much. What really amazed me was how well it had aged. It still looked fantastic and vibrant, it makes you realize what's important in gaming.

Peace Walker I am still in the process of playing. The mechanics will be familiar to MGS4 fans, the over-the-shoulder weapons aiming is intuitive and the Fulton recovery system takes care of the problem of hiding guards in bushes. It is most definitely a portable game, it's designed to be played in bursts and I am quite enjoying it, but we all know the main show is MGS2 and MGS3. To me, Peace Walker is an added bonus.

On the plus side, all these games have achievements now. In fact, some achievements highlighted things I didn't even know were in these games the first time round (Vamp at the end of MGS2?). Another plus is that all these games look super sharp. MGS3 can now be played the way it was always meant to be; in glorious HD with 60fps (MGS3 was originally meant for the PS3, but Sony couldn't get it out in time).

The down side is that you realise how far game design has come since these games. The control scheme of MGS2 has not aged well, especially if you are trying to first-person aim an M4. I can see this not working at all on XBOX 360 as you need pressure sensitive buttons. It was something I never felt worked very well in the first place and seems even more rediculous now. I wasted so many rounds against the Arsenal Tengu, I ran out after the second wave. Also, no matter how much we all loved the PS2, there is no denying it was rubbish at textures. It's flaws have been made all the more apparent playing these games in HD.

The decade old MGS2 and the 8 year old MGS3 still have so much to offer modern gamers. They contain gameworlds unlike anything else found in other games or indeed books and films, with gameplay that never fails to challenge, excite and amuse you. Upgrading these games to HD means they are well documented for the future and are utterly essential for those that call themselves gamers. Not everyone will love them quite as much as I do, but please give them a chance. They are a very important part of our gaming pop culture.

Even if you own them all on their various platforms, you still need this collection. £30 almost seems too cheap. New versions of MGS are on their way in the form of the Raiden spin-off and a possible MGS5 (which I hope is set in the 80s), but you still need to know how it all began. These titles feel just as relevant now, it kind of makes you feel a little embarassed for new games coming out, like Syndicate, that they cannot get close to the innovation in these old games. For shame.
on 6 March 2012
If you're a big fan of the series, this collection is a no-brainer: These games look stunning in HD, especially the Playstation 2 games, it's like they were made for the Playstation 3. And if you're like me and only owned the regular version of the Playstation 2 games, you'll be pleased to know that the versions included in this collection are the Substance and the Subsitence version of MGS2 and MGS3 which have alot of extras in the games, and an improved camera in Metal Gear Solid 3.
As for Peace Walker, I never had a chance to play the PSP game, but this one takes full advantadge of the DualShock 3 using the right analog stick and all the shoulder buttons. While the graphics are notably inferior to the PS2 games, they still are gorgeous, the character models are great for a PSP game. Plus, all the online functions of the PSP game are mantained in this version, so you'll be able to play the game in Co-op, which is very fun.

If you never played a Metal Gear Solid game before and are curious, this is the definitive version of these games, the only letdown is that they didn't include a download code for the first Metal Gear Solid. Still, this collection is still very much worth it, and if you want to play the first one you can always download it of PSN.

The Metal Gear Solid series is one of the best series in videogame history and as of now this is the best oportunity available to experience it.

PS: I recomend playing the games in order of release: Metal Gear Solid 2 -> Metal Gear Solid 3 -> Peace Walker
on 18 September 2012
What a fantastic purchase this turned out to be: Metal Gear Solid - The HD Collection on PS3.

I simply cannot get over how fantastic this product is, in terms of value for money. You have 3 games on one disc (five if you count the two retro ones!), and they're all in stunning HD!!

Now, onto the games. You get Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, which was released on PS2 back in 2002, if memory serves me correct. You get Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (arguably, the best in the bunch... more on this to follow!), which was released on PS2 back in 2005. Finally, you have Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which is a PSP title and was released back in 2010 - I had no idea it was that recent, but anyhow. With the exception of Peace Walker, I think it is fair to say that the other two are Classics on the PS2. Well, you're in for a treat now on the PS3...

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

Basically, in terms of the upgrade to HD, the game looks incredible now on PS3 and HD. It's the attention to every little, minor detail that will catch gamer's eyes, you feel. In all sincerity, it's the little things - like the facial hairs on Solid Snake's face, the rain and weather effects of the opening Tanker Chapter scene, the ability to see and pick out the faces of the Marines later on at the end of the said chapter - these small things, things you would not have seen in the original game, that catch your eye. A solid upgrade to HD here. While it does look a little 'dated' now, that is not to put you off in any way, take it from me!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

By all accounts, this is the motherload. It's no surprise back in the day that Kojima wanted to wait for the PS3's release in order to deliver Snake Eater!! This game is graphically, visually, aurally 'alive' now on PS3 and in HD! This is what made paying the money for this product all the more worthwhile for me. Arguably, Snake Eater is the "Game of the Series" and sets the scene for the entire saga! In HD, it is almost like playing a brand new game... the attention to detail is so great and is a massive improvement over its' PS2 counterpart. Really, this one has to be seen to be believed.
Much like Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater's opening scene is fantastic to look at and to hear in HD - this game really will not look or sound better than this. At my time of writing, I have played up to and including Snake's first meeting with EVA and, I can tell you safely, if you like your Visual and Audio Clarity, you are in for one thrill ride of a treat here!!

Frankly, I have not really went near Peace Walker since making the purchase. However, I have played a snippet of it and it works really well now as a PS3 title. Sadly, though, one must feel that this one is going to be neglected most by gamers.

What more can I say?? It's Metal Gear Solid in Stunning HD!!!

Buy it.

PS: If you're smart, it'd be best to grab this now because it is selling like hot cakes at the time of writing!! Just a little word to the wise.
on 8 October 2015
Words cannot describe how awesome is to play these legendary games!!! I never got my hands to play Metal Gear games before because they seemed too PlayStation 2-styled, outadeted and... nerdy? So a few monts ago I bought MGSV: Ground Zeroes because it looked awesome on YouTube. It was hard for me, first few days I STRUGGLED because how realistic the stealth was in that game. Slowly, I got a grip on it and I was immedeately sucked in the small story that game had.

So I bought MGS4. Without knowing the previous story it was a little overwhelming at some times but during the game I figured it out! (Except small hints from the previous games of course). In fact, I enjoyed it SO much I bought this.

I watched the interactive comic on MGS1 story before starting MGS2. The controls were very outaded so it took me several hours of dying and replaying the first mission. THANK GOD I DIDNT LEAVE THAT GAME! Just now I have finished MGS3 and...IT COMPLETELY BLEW MY MIND!!! MUST BUY!

I'm not even going to describe the gameplay because it is super satisfying, you feel like on a real infiltration mission, managing your supplies, ammo, health and gadgets but still feeling vulnerable all the time! The absolutely best way to play is silent + minimum kills. The levels are like puzzles where you need to study enemy's potrol routes and when you nail it you feel like a pro, it's an OLD SCHOOL STEALT, HARD AT TIMES but if you die it's only your fault. Boss battles can be tricky too until you figure it out.

HD Collection is probably the best of it's kind. Graphically it was not possible to play the games like this on PS2, you SEE the clear difference the original titles and the updated HD collection.

SUMMARY: The controls can feel outdated in MGS2, playing this game is a hard work, it's very intense; enemies are very tough; you have to constantly be aware of your surroundings, think and strategise BUT! Rarely when a video game can give you MORE sense of accoplishment than the Metal Gear series! Must buy if you have arms to play and brains to think! This is the Dark Souls of stealt games!!!
on 10 February 2012
There is no need to be too in-depth here. Metal Gear Solid HD is a MUST HAVE.

Without doubt, Metal Gear Solid has the strongest storyline, characters, soundtrack and gameplay of all video games I have played. The storyline is at first confusing but totally gripping with fantastic characters, atmospheric and exciting music that betters even film soundtracks, a tangling and educational storyline that involves many areas of science, history and genetics so yes this is much more than a game.

Included in this HD collection are three of the greatest games I have personally ever played, and I am sure many would agree.
Furthermore, on the PS3 edition you also recieve the very first Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2 released on I think the NES/SNES. This is not to be mistaken for Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation 1.

My all time favourite game remastered in HD; Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater was enough to grab my attention above any other game, even though it should really be over shadowed by newer titles of the current generation; but Metal Gear Solid is unrivaled. I loved the Playstation 2 version to bits, replaying the game at least ten times to unlock every secret and gadget and the HD version included in this package brings the game back to life with further detail that you missed on the Playstation 2 version. This game alone is worth the price of the HD collection even if you have played the games before.

Any Metal Gear fan must definately buy this, I looked forward to for a very long time and I could live with this game and no others; honest truth - it's that good.

You also receive Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, both also excellent games enhanced with HD graphics. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty was another brilliant game with a mind-boggling yet in depth storyline while Peace Walker is perceived as one of the BEST Metal Gear titles originally a PSP exclusive.

If there is one purchase this year that you know will be worthwhile it will be this one. Personally I think Metal Gear Solid is the greatest game series ever created and to have 3 of the best games all in one package is an absolute bargain.

10/10 - no regrets

*Now let's hope a Metal Gear Solid (PS1) version is remastered in HD so that we can all replay the title that fired Metal Gear Solid into history