Customer reviews

Colour: Black|Change
Price:£111.99+ Free shipping

on 3 August 2012
I should qualify this by saying I am an Android Software developer. As such I am intimately familiar with a wide range of Android Hardware and can offer I think a valid comparison. I have owned and evaluated perhaps 50+ GSM phones from the truly awful through to the superb and many smartphones from the Nokia 9000 and Ericsson R380s onwards (1996-2000) to the present Samsung Galaxy S III. I have seen them all, the good, bad and the ugly.

This phone is perhaps the best built phone I have seen since the late 90's to early 00's when companies like Ericsson produced supreme quality of hardware before costs compromised everything with the wide permeation of mobile devices and mass manufacturing. It oozes quality and feels substantial in the hand. Coupled with the Dicota 9900 case (available on Amazon) it truly is sublime. It just is a seriously nice piece of hardware and does show that the company has some truly great talent working for them.

Call quality is excellent, as is the built in speaker phone. The audio is almost perfect as if each device has been tuned to perfection.

The Screen is very nice. Perhaps not as bright or sharp as the latest AMOLED devices but frankly it is so good that you'll never wish for anything better anyhow. It does the job very well indeed.

The Software (OS7) is easy to navigate and use. I do find the lack of text labels besides icons a minor annoyance and I do hope this can be fixed. The TuneIn Internet radio is surprisingly better than the Android version. Crystal clear sound as well.

I cannot let pass the satellite acquisition time (to get a GPS fix). My 9900 takes between 5s - 7s from *cold* to get a full fix for my position from 7-12 satellites. That quite frankly is amazing. At first I really couldn't believe it operated so fast. The downside here is the mapping software isn't great (but adequate) and again it would be nice to see something better here.

I usually switch off 3G and use a 2.5G EDGE/GPRS connection as this seems to make the device battery last around 40% longer. This way I can usually get a few days use out of the phone before charging. But the battery life is not great (similar to most other modern smartphones), but it certainly would be adequate for most people I would imagine.

If you need a keyboard based device you are in luck as the keyboard is brilliant. Tactile and responsive. The best Keyboard on a mobile I have ever seen (and I have seen a fair few).

As a purely functional tool this is the way to go. If you require lots of additional software though an Android might be a better bet, but you'll be missing out on one of the greatest pieces of Hardware that has graced us so far.

I can't recommend this device enough. It makes most Android phones look like toys not serious business devices.

And again I *highly* recommend the Dicota case Dicota BFB Lid Cradle for Blackberry Bold 9900/9930 - Black. You won't find a better case for your 9900 I am convinced.

Update: 13/July/2014 - Had this phone now nearly two years and found it to be quite superb in almost all respects. Very reliable phone.
11 Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We are born into this time where touch screen, we must bravely follow the path to the destined end.

There is no another way. Our duty is to hold on to the lost position of the once mighty Blackberry, the track-pad and the physical keyboard; without hope, without rescue, like that Roman soldier whose bones were found in front of a door in Pompeii, who, during the eruption of Vesuvius, died at his post because they forgot to
relieve him.

That is greatness.

That is what it means to be a Blackberry user.

So F you, touch screen and all your millions of unreflecting consumers!

Long live the track-pad, hurrah to the physical keyboard and long live Blackberry: The King of the North!
on 24 August 2011
Having received the new Blackberry Bold 9900 today I am happy to report that most of the major flaws of the previous Bold family have been fixed. The web browser is snappy and responsive, the touchscreen is easy to use, fluid and a delight (no doubt because of the Snapdragon CPU). The phone is very thin for a Blackberry and the fact that it's got a touchscreen as well is particularly impressive given the brick-like feel of the Torch. The camera is a huge step forward from the camera in my old 9700, however, it still has a way to go to match up to the superior iPhone 4 camera (and most likely the iPhone 5 that is forthcoming). The major strength, as always with Blackberry, is the keyboard which is a return to form. The keyboard is the same size and feel that we had in the old Bold 9000 and it's fantastic!

For Blackberry users, the Bold 9900 is amazing and represents a great deal of engineering and research by RIM to produce a phone that is functional, stylish and a joy to use. For users of iPhone and Android however, RIM has yet to make a phone which is as comprehensive or as forward thinking as iOS and Android are. RIM has a ready made consumer pool for its phones; we all love Blackberrys and I personally wouldn't move to another manufacturer. However, RIM fails to develop phones that will make users want to switch from Android or iOS and that's where the money is. It is my feeling that although the Bold 9900 is a huge step forward, anyone switching from iOS or Android will most likely miss some of the features they've come to know and love in their previous platform.

I highly recommend this phone to anyone with an older Blackberry - get it and you won't look back. For iOS and Android users I'd recommend borrowing a friend's phone to test drive it first because you'll either love Blackberry or think it's antiquated and a touch passé.
1010 Comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2013
I only pay for the phone! My daughter, however, seems happy - it does everything she was expecting of it, & I have heard no complaints, so that's great!
on 23 April 2017
Buy the white bb bold 9900 last year best bb I told my mum to get one seen this on amazon vary happy its new everything from the box to every part of the fone and order one day came the next the white bb bold still as new loved the white one but my mum wanted it so gave to her and I now got black thanks everything new in box and had bb since 1st came out the bb bold 9900 is the best thanks
on 19 March 2015
Albeit old, this QWERTY phone still serves as an emergency phone and alarm clock for me
on 3 February 2017
Developed faulty keyboard within six months despite being "new" and seller doesnt want to know as "its over three months old" - dont buy. A three month guarantee for a new item is ridiculous
on 5 February 2017
... Blackberry is nore what they used to be.
on 2 March 2017
Very good phone for the money.
on 20 February 2016