on 18 October 2012
Those of us fortunate enough to have been a part of the early rave/acid house party scene here in the uk, you would think we know the stories inside out, not so.

I partied my little bollocks off from 89 to 1999, from the age of 15 onwards, often traversing cross country to get to the next gathering. I lived, and continue to live in the Fens of East Anglia, and we had our fare share of illegal warehouse parties. During that period i guess most of us wore rose tinted glasses.

I had heard that these parties were organized by criminal gangs later on in the 90s, but i had no idea how far this went until i read Waynes account of things in this book. Wayne gives us a brief introduction to what life was like for the average Brit in the 80s, which itself is fascinating and eye opening.

Then we get to the good stuff, and what a journey it is. Wayne tells us how it all came about, how he duped the police and authorities, dressing smartly to hide the fact that he was one of those Acid House Kings, which The Sun continually targeted during its reign of disinformation.

The story is compelling to say the least, a real rollercoaster ride in this unique point in history, coherently told by the charming Mr Anthony, you kinda feel he could charm the pants of anyone, which is probably why Genesis did so well back in 89.

I know there are lots of younger ravers out there who were not even alive during the summer of love, but are fascinated by this scene we had, and that there are loads of oldskool ravers who have great memories of dancing til dawn, defying authoritarian rule, sticking 2 fingers up to Thatcher, who are constantly wishing for a time machine to whizz them back to the summer of love, just go on youtube and check out the comments left on tunes such as Dance Conspiracy - Dub War, etc, or the old dj set tape packs from events such as Dreamscape etc, there are so many people who wish this era could come back. The events in the 80s were unique, so a repeat of that is very unlikely, though it all depends how long this recession goes on i guess, all we need is another heatwave =)

Anyway, yeah, all oldskoolers and new rave kids should read this book, because it will open your eyes, bring back loads of memories, and entertain and inform you, Wayne does not hold much back in this book.

Id say this was the best book on the acid house scene and culture of 88-89, and if you were there then you probably already know this story, but there is so much more to tell, and this book will certainly inform you.
on 6 April 2000
This book turned back time for me as I went to all the genesis raves, and believe me this was exactly how it was. I thought the book was well written, and is the only real to life book which I have read where I actually felt like I was there.
on 19 March 2013
For anyone with any involvement in the scene wether it be from the eighties or present date this is an absolute must read. It gives a frank and honest account of how the original illegal raves were formulated and bought to life from the eye of the promoter in the thick of the action.
If it wasn't for Genisis and other promoters of the time then I can't help feel we would be experiencing a different club culture today, I for one loved my days dancing my nut off and this book really captures the vibe, atmosphere and interaction between everyone involved back in the day.

My only negative comment would be the obvious lack of any proof reading. The lack of punctuation, grammar and poor spelling/wrong wording can distract you from what is a truly great read.
on 11 February 2013
The subject matter of this book is fascinating- Acid House was truly a revolutionary period in British youth culture (and by extension culture in general)- and Wayne Anthony is uniquely placed as one of the organisers of Genesis to tell this story. Unfortunately Mr Anthony's publisher saw fit to release his book without first running it past a sub-editor; the result is that the book is in parts practically unreadable. i think this is a real shame for a book that is potentially quite important, so only three stars from me.
on 4 May 2000
An exact recollection of the good 'ole days! I was only 16 yrs old at the time and the excitement was totally unreal at the time. The book really does relay that excitement that everyone felt at the time of the parties. I had butterflies constantly whilst reading this and finished the book with a big smile. Wonderful!
on 28 July 1999
Finally, a real account of what actually happened during the rave sensation of the late eighties and early nineties. The book was written by Wayne Antony, a well respected party organiser who went by the name 'Genesis'. This book has been slated for glamorising drug use. I disagree and feel it just tells the public what really happened. The book is an easy read but gets slightly repetitive as it draws towards its conclusion.
on 16 August 1999
Well finally somebody has written a REAL life account of the true acid house experience. I'd like to thank Wayne Anthony for his effort put in doing these parties. I wish I could remember it but as the press keep saying " XTC affects the short term memory ". Keep up the good work Wayne and look forward on reading Spanish Highs.
on 7 October 2011
If you love acid, rave and dance music in general and want to know more on the early days then this is a definate MUST HAVE.
on 28 January 2014
First class experience of a generation that they just could not suppress. A real real roller coaster of a read.
on 18 September 2015
I read the original but this expands on the story more. A good read!