Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.00

on 3 September 2017
Predictable, cheesy and preachy. Don't bother. Oh and sexiest too!!
Started off promising but turned into a B movie book
on 1 September 2003
Alexander Claybourne lives alone in an isolated house in a small town. No-one sees him during the day. He doesn't socialise, and no-one knows anything about him. There are rumours that he is a vampire. One day, an eight-year-old girl, Gail Crawford, comes to him and asks him to save her sister, in a coma in hospital following a road accident. Since he's a vampire, as she believes, then if he gives her some of his blood she will live.
Is Alexander a vampire? Does his blood have mysterious qualities? He doesn't actually know what his blood will do to Kara, but feels compelled to help her all the same. And once he has done so, he feels drawn to her and unable to stay away. He visits her, and they talk on several occasions - and fall in love.
But when Kara gets out of hospital and is sent for further blood tests, Alexander realises that by giving her his blood he might have saved her life, but he has caused problems not only for Kara, but also for herself. They have to go on the run, in fear of their lives. And Alexander has to tell Kara the truth about himself - will she still want him?
Yes, he's not a vampire: he's an alien, as many other reviewers have pointed out. (Oh, and this happens not very far into the book; certainly not close to the end, as other reviewers claim). Umm... so what? That made no difference to me. My two-star rating isn't because Alexander isn't a vampire; it's because of the quality of the book. Making him an alien was definitely different, and in a better book it would have made for a very interesting storyline. As it is, Ashley's alien is, as Kara herself says, something of a cross between Superman and the Highlander (not a lot of originality in characterisation, really), though he doesn't seem to possess much of Superman's morality. This alien is predisposed to violence, and a lot of it.
Why didn't I like this book? Well, the weak, whiny characters were a major part of it. Take Kara: she kept changing her mind about whether or not she trusted and loved Alexander. And when he told her that he was an alien, she actually ran away and threatened to turn him in to the doctor she knew would cage him like a labrat and would drain his blood for financial gain. Is being from another planet such a dreadful thing that Alexander deserved to be treated worse than an animal?
Then there's Alexander: throughout the book, one minute he is telling Kara that he loves her and will never let her go, and the next he is telling her to leave him, to go away, that they can't be together. They even undergo a marriage ceremony according to the rites of his planet, and he explains that in his culture the custom is marriage for life: a soul-bond. And then the next day he tells her that she has to leave him and start a new life without him?! Make up your mind, man!!
Then there's the thriller/danger plot. For me, that went on too long, was too brutal and really wasn't interesting. I'm interested in the romance, not extraneous elements. If you want a love story, this isn't really for you. If you like thrills and danger and struggles to escape, then maybe it is. This plot simply occupied far too much of the book for my liking.
Ashley has simply never written anything else as good as Embrace The Night, and on recent evidence she's not going to.
wmr-uk
on 9 November 1998
I was curious about "vampire romances" and picked up this book. After reading the synopsis on the back cover, I figured I was getting a vampire romance. The first few chapters were riveting, I was enthralled with Alexander, the vampire. You cannot imagine my disappointment when he turned out to be an alien. Yes, he was still sexy and entralling, but I wanted a vampire, not an alien. Had I known he was an alien, I would have not bought the book, and I felt cheated. The writing was not great, and I didn't really care for Kara. I haven't given up on Amanda Ashley (M. Baker) - I plan to pick up one of her her "real" vampire novels this time.
on 16 April 1998
Contrary to the previous reviewer I accepted the hero as "different". The heroine is sick and dying in the hospital when the hero responds to her sister's plea to help. He doesn't make her a vampire but he does give her a blood donation that saves her life and gives her special powers. He is sensitive to light because of his disorder, and writes horror books (often doing research into dark subjects)- which is why people think he is an eccentric, possible a vampire. The romance grows between the two despite the differences in their lifestyles and his powers. Her doctor wants more of the miracle cure though, and the transfusions could be having unexpected results... Page turner, tear-jerker, inteligent characters with good emotional resonance.
on 12 September 1998
This book is fantastic, I just bought it about a week ago, I love her books. At first I thought this was a book about vampires, which I like to read, but was taken by suprise when I found out he is actually an alien, who is very sensitive to the sun. This book is GREAT, keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens between Kara and Alex. One of the best.
VINE VOICEon 14 February 2006
The townsfolk of Moulton Bay said there was something otherworldly about Alexander Claybourne. Some people whispered that with his dark, arresting features and mesmerizing eyes, the seductive stranger looked every inch a vampire. They never guessed how near the truth they were – or that after more tan two hundred years of resisting temptation, Claybourne had found a woman he had to possess.
Never one to be scared off by superstitious lore, Kara Crawford laughed at the local talk of creatures lurking in the dark. What harm could come of befriending the handsome stranger with the haunted look in his midnight eyes? No matter what shadowy secrets Alexander hid, Kara felt drawn to him, compelled to join hi beneath the sliver light of the moon, where they would share a love…
This is another twist in the vampire story, to tell you more would give the story away. Different from Ashley’s norm, but nonetheless worth reading.
on 2 March 1998
this is one of the dumbest books i've ever read. I felt cheated, you know. ashley had me totally fooled for the first few pages. i thought i was having a vampire cruise. i thought i was having a helluva time. i thought it was a good buy. i thought WRONG!!!! the sexy 'vampire' turned out to be an alien, and the rest of the story goes down the drain from that moment of unveiling. okay, there is such a thing as letting the reader have a bit of suspense, but there is also such a thing as cheating the reader into believing something so dumb!!! oh, i hate this book. when i discovered the hero was an ALIEN, i jumped up and down on my bed in disbelief, threw the book across the room and didn't bother to pick it up until after the next spring-cleaning day. my advice: when you see this book, forget it. you will thank me for saving your precious time.
on 23 August 1998
This was an unexcpected delite. Contrary to some of the other reviews I beleive that this was a great attempt to try something new and unusual. There is a very nice unecpected twist to the book. I had mixed feelings about it when I discovered it, but by the time I finished the book I was glad she wrote it. Sometimes it is nice to get a suprise. You will fall in love with all the charecters and dispise the bad guys. I noticed Kara has some strong oppinions on a touchy subject <for some people> be advised some of her oppinions may open some wounds. I think this was a good atemped at the 1st of this type of book. Keep up the good work. We Love your books!
on 28 February 2013
Had me intrigued from the first page, lovely story about unexpected love and fate. Couldnt put the book down read it in a day.
on 2 March 2013
Couldn't put this down, loved the concept of alien and human getting together. Kept on edge while Alex was kept confined.