on 31 October 2017
Unusual to have what you'd describe as an unresolved ending, though it doesn't feel unsatisfactory and presumably could be tied up later. Have to say though that as with the other series, the lead female character isn't one I can particularly warm to.
on 24 November 2017
The plot was complicated and far fetched. I found it difficult to concentrate on all the different characters. This was not my favourite story.
on 19 June 2017
Got bit fedup with the characters,also the translation is clunky
on 20 April 2017
Unlike the first book in this series, this was a hugely disappointing read. Full of too much air. Interest in the characters was not maintained for the reader. As to the ending – it was an example of how not to end a crime novel. Sorry.
on 10 November 2014
Four stars for this book I have really enjoyed this story line and I am looking forward to next book
on 22 May 2017
very good, thoroughly enjoyed it
on 12 February 2015
This was probably my least favourite one by this author so far although I'll stick with the series. I think I prefer her Hanne series as I find her more likeable. Johanne was all a bit too strange for me in this one. I wanted to give her a slap at times and I wondered how poor Adam managed !! I have bought number 3 but if I still don't like it as much I'll drop her and stick with the one series.
There seemed to be more lost in translation in this one, too. You expect some, of course, but this was worse than her others and had me rolling my eyes more than once. Again, the translator went all American on us with the spellings. At one point she added "nine, ten" to a sentence and I didn't understand this at all and Jessie's blouse is what we'd usually call a big girl's blouse, I'd think.
Some was used when something was meant and which when I'd have thought who would fit better. She also mentioned somebody being in the sofa a couple of times as opposed to on. Also saying an arch-lever file when it's supposed to be lever-arch. Also bases and not basis was written and lightening and not lightning (although it was correct on the very next page) !!
There were some funny little remarks in it, however, that were still funny in English ! In places I got a little confused as she switched countries and because all the places weren't familiar to me I got lost with it here and there. Then all of a sudden the characters "thought" a great deal instead of speaking. I found that odd. It's like she chose to write in a whole different style but not from the beginning. There was also a lot of leaning going on throughout, I noticed.
All in all, definitely not her best for me.
on 23 December 2016
Several years have passed since we last met Adam and Johannes. In this story a series of seemingly unconnected murders leave Adam and Johannes mystified. We are given a hint that there was more to Johannes time with the FBI than was first thought. Johanne has to apply all her profiling skills to identify the murderer. I thought I had it sussed about halfway through but this cleverly imagined tale left me high and dry.
I enjoyed the story but am still getting to grips with the author's writing style. I find the broken up sentences interspersed with long asides, quite distracting. I'll just have to read more to become more familiar with her style of writing. A great idea but the ending left me frustrated.
on 24 March 2012
This is a story of the cops trying to get ahead of the serial killer.
Not just any old story of any old serial killer and any old cops: a particularly unpredictable killer who leaves a ghastly trail of celebrity victims but no clues and no plausible motives; who follows a pattern outlined by some else, in time gone by and a world away.
An impossible task for the detectives? As time passes and the media and politics start howling for results, the trail seems ever more tangled. No clues, no motives, nowhere to turn.
Until the profiler recognises the pattern.
But where will it lead? Who is the next designated victim? Is this to be the end of the sequence? Why?
And to add to the anguish, When? And How?
Stop waiting for answers, read it! (Will you find any? All of them?)...

A highly crafted novel, well worth your time.
on 9 February 2013
Set in Norway, the seemingly unsolvable murders draw the reader into the life and stresses of detectives and their families. As the bodies mount up with completely different causes of. death it becomes a race against time, and the killer appears to be in charge. But there is a twist in the tale which catches the reader,s attention.....