Customer reviews

on 29 March 2017
The fourth in this series and the best so far for me AND with the fewest mistakes. Had to be 5*. I really enjoyed it and it was over far too fast !! In the third I had been fed up and a bit worn down by the mistakes and this one was a little make-or-break for me so I'm pleased there's been such a great improvement in the presentation because the stories are really interesting. I like all the characters, too, though I'm hoping "Hamish" isn't going to be sticking around for long !! Mike the Fireman is back, thankfully. I like him a great deal and I adore Mary, her values and her sense of humour. I enjoyed the additional story of the pastor running alongside the main case here as well.
I did think showbiz is usually the one word only and this sentence lost a couple of words-"She told him she was going in to his employer and get him canned". At one point she refers to a dozen dishes that used to be cups and saucers and that made no sense to me, there were a couple of apostrophes missed. The following sentence illustrates perfectly how missing one little word (he) totally alters the sentence and the whole meaning. I read and re-read it a few times till I realised what it was supposed to be saying !! "My son met the Chief first and put the fear of God into him. Did our family a big favor"......see the difference ?
Impassable was written as impassible, in was superfluous here-"She stood and knelt down in next to him" yet we lost the here-"....so it was perfect solution for everyone" and here-"...and one of most handsome faces she'd ever seen".
However, trust me when I say that this amount of errors is a huge progression and I found it clearly noticeable and as long as things are heading in the right direction I'll most definitely be sticking with this series.
on 1 March 2015
Perhaps 3 stars is a bit mean given that I did enjoy this light hearted little froth of a book. The story is completes unbelievable, the characters only sketched not fully fleshed but then what can you expect when a fair number of them are ghosts? But it is all written in an easy, jog along style, pleasant to read and fu!l of happy endings ((or are they beginnings?).
I don't see myself reading any more of this series but certainly do not regret the few short hours spent with this one. So if you have a little time to fill and want to spend it with an easy read filled with smiles and suspended disbelief, treat yourself and get this book.
on 31 July 2011
Once again Teri Reid delivers! I have read the previous 3 books in this series and have loved them all, this one didn't dissapoint at all. You find yourself immersered in the story from the first pages and can't wait to see what is going to happen, then when you finish this feeling surrounds you and I found myself thinking noooo i've finished, what happens next, when is the next book out?! Hurry up with the next installment in this fantastic series
on 11 January 2012
The series is getting better , I'm glad I carried on reading the Mary O'Reilly books . This being the 4th now , I'm enjoying the characters and really want Mary to be with the police chief ( dont u dare kill him off Teri ! ) the story was good , and I give 4 stars .
on 9 October 2014
just cannot stop reading they are brilliant
on 18 July 2011
I love these stories. I have read all 4and all of them are great I read each of them in one sitting per book. Icannot wait for the next one! The chAracters are fully fleshed and the writing is suspenseful but funny. I cannot wait to read how the police chif will cope with the English professorr! Hurry up terri I am waiting for the next installment
on 28 August 2011
This book was more like the first two in the series. I devoured it in one sitting! Terri Reid knows how to spin a good yarn and I just love the way she writes. Mary is one of the best characters I've ever come across in a book and the supporting cast are equally likeable. I downloaded a sample of The Ghosts of New Orleans, but I'm undecided whether to buy it or not. It has a great starting, but it feels too close to recent events for me to read comfortably. I'll probably just wait for the fifth in this series.
on 27 April 2015
This is a shortish book, easily read without any bad language, explicit sex or gory violence, which makes
a nice change sometimes! I give it 3.5 stars.

Faye, a bitchy actress, is murdered in the theatre and Mary helps her cop boyfriend (Bradley) to try and discover the
murderer. It would have been easier to find somebody who DIDN'T have a reason to kill the woman!

Alongside this story, Mary was trying to find out what happened to Bradley's wife and also to help a confused
Reverend and his family. I like the character of Stan and also the ghost Mike, and actually laughed aloud at a couple
of the quips. Far from being scary, ghosts like Mike could be a big help!

The book wasn't outstanding but I enjoyed it and would read another by this author.
on 12 July 2014
I have discovered these books just recently and really enjoy them. However, having just finished Final Call, I feel it necessary to make it clear to the author that most Scottish people don't often use words like braw and bonnie nowadays. Nor have I, in my 52 years ever heard a fellow Scot use the word bouncer in conversation. This in no way stopped me from enjoying the book, but it makes me cringe a little at the stereotype of the English middle class cop that has been used to build the character of the Scottish professor on. A little more research into the real way people behave and talk would be nice.
on 25 February 2014
This is the fourth Mary O'Reilly book I've read. Not quite as good as the first 3 I thought, but still a good read. This one was a little too predictable. I'm going to read the next book in the series and hope it's as good as the first two I read. Would recommend as an easy read with an easy to follow plot. Suitable for younger (teenage) readers also as there's some romance but no x-rated stuff.