on 12 October 2017
You know that moment when you pick up a book, whether you have heard about it form a friend or you simply have picked it up in the bookstore because it caught your attention, and you know this book is going to shatter you into so many pieces all that will be left of you is dust that will be carried off by the wind... well this is it.
This is the book that will make you smile as the tears are heavily flowing down your cheeks slowly filling up the room around you and soon will drown you.
This is the book that you will talk about to your friends, your family and to everyone about how good and simply heart breaking and sad it is.
on 6 October 2017
Wow, what an amazing book! It was short and simply written, but since it's aimed at a young age-group that's not a criticism. Despite that it's a really deep, thought provoking story, which is beautifully written. Also, it dod something few books manage to do... it made me cry! By the end I was bawling my eyes out. At one point, I was reading it whilst at the hairdressers and had to stop because I could feel my eyes burning with tears!

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give anything away, but it was unique and heartfelt. Simple and yet so, so emotionally complex. I enjoyed the monsters stories and the morals in each of them and I thought Conor was so brave, despite the adults surrounding him who were often less than supportive.

I loved it and will definitely recommend it to everyone!
on 8 October 2017
Excellent book. Couldn't put it down. Shows how acknowledging your thoughts and feelings releases you from your own nightmares. By not suppressing or denying our thoughts and feelings, we can face up to them and deal with them. How it's ok to be scared and imperfect. This book shows how sometimes we feel ashamed because we feel our thoughts are wrong. Lovely quote in the book "...it was not wrong, it was only a thought, one of a million..." Another quote I love in the book "....it does not matter what you think...your mind will contradict you...and your mind will punish you for believing both." The only to fight these thoughts in our head is "...by speaking the truth."
review image
on 23 July 2016
This was/is an unexpected gem of a read!

Reading the back, I was expecting emotional parts, but not the ride it actually delivers!

The more sensitive parts are written so beautifully and true to when/if we have to deal with those hard times in real life. Certainly hit home.

Would I recommend? Yes. Have a box of tissues ready!
Would I read again? Yes. Just not yet as it is an emotional drain!
on 4 March 2017
This is a good story of a thirteen year old boy coping with his mother's impending death from cancer, which he seemingly blames himself for and his inability to save his mother.
on 6 April 2017
An intriguing yet emotionally raw tale. A dark fairytale, describing but not resolving the complicated feelings of helplessness and loss. Gut wrenchingly sad.
on 1 October 2017
Written by Starr-Berry, aged 10
Have you ever had an important person in your life pass away? This book details a boy's journey to understanding how cruel life can sometimes be behind closed doors. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants a book that is hard-hitting but maybe, just maybe changes your view on life for children who have to deal with hardship every day. I absolutely loved this book and found that even though I felt incredibly sad, I feel better for reading it. Connor, the main character, will win your heart and stay in it forever. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.
on 6 March 2017
Wanted to see the film but no one else fancied it so I bought the book. I was gripped. It was thoughtful endearing and truly sad. but in an empathetic way. I think the book was a good choice. Anyone reading it expect to have a good cry at the end. You know what's coming but its still very emotional.
on 30 May 2017
Fantastic book - bought it for my kids and ready it first - absolutely sobbed my heart out and decided that they are a little too young for it at only 6 years old but I really look forward to reading it when they are a little older.
on 14 September 2017
I have to admit I was expecting this to be another story that was boring, quick to read (Or else give up on altogether), or definitely one for JUST the kids. I couldn't of been more wrong. I enjoyed every second of the book and would recommend it as a read to anyone.