on 9 February 2012
Burned various discs from dvd dual layer to regular dvd-/+r dvds and always with good-excellent results, performs very well even on bad quality discs. Recommended.
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2012
Sony/NEC Optiarc drive is simply best in class. It sports the latest chip-set as well. Great performance and price. What more would you want. Get it!
on 30 April 2012
Pros:

1. Cheap.
2. Good features.
3. S-ATA

Cons:

1. Cheap build.
2. Noisy as hell.

If you're on a very, very tight budget, then go for this. I got it for my dad, as he just needed a CD drive for the odds 'n sods; he's quite happy with it, but I wish I had looked elsewhere. For just a few quid extra, you could get yourself a gorgeous ASUS optical drive.

UPDATE:

Still being used, and still works.
on 2 February 2012
Does everything very well from reading to burning. The mechanism is a little rattly on the eject and load but works without any problems. Great value if your original drive has got a little unreliable.
on 6 December 2011
A nice, cheap and cheerful SATA DVD/ CD Writer.

It was a little noisy at first, sounded more like a car changing gear, without a clutch, but once it was used a few times, it soon bedded it.

It writes DVD+R @ 20X. I paid the extra for next day delivery, which it promptly arrived in the early morning. No complaints what so ever. For the price, highly recommended.
on 3 December 2012
I've bought two of these and I'm happy with them. They do all you'd expect them to do and they do it very quietly too. My only critisizm would be they seem to be a bit flaky when using DVD-RAM discs. I have some DVD-RAM discs with some backups that were previously burnt using an LG drive. When putting them into the Sony, it would only recognise half of them and wanted to format the rest. Obviously I couldn't do that so I had to refit the LG drive to rescue the data, then re-burn. After some playing about, it became obvious that the Sony is quite picky about which DVD-RAM it'll recognise or throw up as corrupt when they are all perfectly fine/new.

So all in all, I'd recommend this drive for all applications but if you use DVD-RAM's, I'd go for a different brand.
on 4 March 2012
Works completely fine. Does not come with cables but don't worry these come with your motherboard when you get it. Good Product, good delivery, good price.

UPDATE

Have to admit... it's very loud when operating so some people may find this to be a problem.
on 19 April 2012
At first I was a bit worried about buying a cheap burner as I had been told that cheap ones are rubbish. So, wanting to build a gaming computer on a budget, and only having little money left, I took a chance and bought this dispite the cheap price. I now say to anyone who tells me that cheap cd drives are rubbish that they are wrong. This works BRILLIANTLY and I would recommend it to anyone!
on 26 July 2012
I have used this to burn games to disc and this is one of the best CD-DVD drives i have ever had, it is very quick when you burn an ISO image to a disc, it is a bit noisy when you burn but that doesnt bother me most cd - dvd drives are noisy when you burn ISOs to a DVD and for £15 i wouldnt compain, in my opinion it is a great peice of kit and well worth buying.
on 4 December 2013
I bought the Sony DVD-Ram Drive because it can read (burn? I don't know because I've never tried to do that) my collection of Panasonic Ram-disks, along with just about everything else (unfortunately, however, the Ram disks have to be removed from their protective cartridge). I would've bought another Japanese-made Panasonic model, but they're only available in the old IDE interface. No SATA 1, 2, or 3.

The trouble with the Sony drive (made in China, naturally, like everything else) is that the drawer keeps shutting without me pressing any button or the tray. One of these days, it's going to damage a disk, and then I'll probably rip the front off it!