on 26 April 2017
so polished! what a mammoth task to get the complicated settings so exact and stunning
the picture quality was excellent as was the sound
on 24 September 2017
Enchanting.
on 10 April 2017
This is a great performance at the NY Met. The singing is great and the scenery and staging are revolutionary
on 25 August 2017
quite unbelievable - brilliant colours
on 2 September 2011
New DVD release of the 2006 Metropolitan Opera performing the Magic Flute.

Long awaited by many, the production is the English language version of Julie Taymor's hit production of Mozart's The Magic Flute, it is a visual as well as audio spectacular. The DVD is upgraded on my setup to full HD so nice crisp images and Dolby sound.

Conducted by Metropolitan Opera Music Director James Levine, the main cast includes Ying Huang as Pamina, Matthew Polenzani as Tamino, and René Pape as Sarastro, the true outstanding stars of this performance are Erika Miklósa as Queen of the Night with a wonderful rendition of the the Queen of the Night aria but Nathan Gunn as Papageno absolutely stole the show with his comic portrayal of his role.

Lovely abridged version of Mozart's Magic Flute in English.

Region 1, so only viewable on multi region DVD players or Blu Ray players in the UK and TV 5.1 sound system recommended.

Signed: A Listener of Classics.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2014
I will never forget the first opera I ever saw in 1959 when I was 26 years old - a gala performance conducted by Karl Bohm at the Vienna State Opera. Most memorable of all was the Queen of the Night appearing on a rising moon that eventually rose high above the stage. This production is very different but is highly recommended for its originality and for being visually stunning. A most gifted cast of outstanding performers give their all in an exciting performance conducted by the always outstanding James Levine. I love this DVD do much that I have bought additional copies to give to relatives and friends. All have enjoyed it as much as I have.
on 14 September 2014
The NY Met are not known for a cheese-paring approach to opera production. This production could have been oppressed by the sets, the puppets, the dancing and the general "how can we spend a bit more on this bit" philosphy - but it doesn't. Papageno is brilliant, Pamina has a beautifully unforced, sweet voice (and can act) and the Queen is more than able to deal with the Mardi Gras cavalcade that graces her arias.
on 3 December 2015
To be honest, I thought that I had already reviewed this because I had enjoyed it so much. I watched it on tv years ago and could not find the DVD to buy. However, I had not realised that it has been abridged - showed you how much of an expert I am! But I really enjoyed it, especially the make up, costumes and scenery. What imagination! It would be difficult to single out one particular character because I enjoyed the whole performance. I think that this would appeal to young people as an introduction to opera, and to help them realise that opera is not just for older people, and it does not have to be highbrow. There was a lot of humour in this production. Perhaps the same format could be used with other operas.
on 8 March 2013
Fabulous costumes and scenery, beautiful singing with no expense spared on anything, but the overture is cut short and several of the best, most memorable arias have been cut altogether. I find it odd that in such a lavish, extravagant production, the Metropolitan Opera has decided it knows better than one of the greatest composers of all time.
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2015
This is a stunning production. The sets were fantastic and imaginative. I have already watched it 3 times and don't think that I will ever tire of watching it. My only problem is that if I see other productions of this opera I will be disappointed.