Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 7 November 2008
Firstly I have to admit that I have no particularly detailed knowledge of Tennyson nor Lewis Carol, so I approached this book with an open mind as to its content. However, having just finished it I can say that is is a thoroughly entertaining read whether or not you have any particular knowledge of the main characters true lives', or indeed whether you intend to learn anything about their characters. The book is a thoroughly entertaining humourous, light-hearted read. If you like a dry, sarcastic British sense of humour, then I thoroughly recommend this book to you.
on 9 October 2009
If ever you go to Freshwater Bay in the Isle of Wight, do not miss out on Dimbola Lodge and the nearby Farringford Hotel. They were the homes in the 19th century of Julia Cameron (photographer) and Alfred Lord Tennyson (poet), respectively. Lynne Truss has written a most amusing novel about their life and times, about the visitors, like Lewis Carroll, who made their way there, and about the campaign Julia waged to get Lord Tennyson to sit for her. Sales of the book at Dimbola Lodge had denuded the shop of copies when we called this summer, but fortunately Amazon was able to fill the gap. Dimbola Lodge is both a museum and a cafe now, well worth spending lunch at, as well as the remainder of the afternoon.
on 18 April 2013
I bought this book to read on holiday on the Isle of Wight as I always like to read something linked to the area I am visiting if possible. Anyone familiar with Lynn Truss's journalism and radio appearances over the years will know that she is a hugely entertaining and gifted writer. In Tennyson's Gift she takes a group of real and imagined Victorian characters - amongst them celebrated Isle of Wight residents Julia Margaret Cameron and Alfred Lord Tennyson - and weaves them into a thoroughly enjoyable comedy of manners. I've given this four stars because I'm sure Lynn Truss herself would be the first to admit that this isn't great literature, but it's a five star light-hearted read, especially if you know the Island or are familiar with the characters it portrays.
on 27 July 2004
Having read and loved Eats, Shoots and Leaves, I then bought Making the Cat Laugh, which is a collection of Lynne Truss's (hope I got the apostrophe in the right place!) articles on single life. It was so funny and so much like my own life that I was desperate to read something else by Lynne and delighted to come across Tennyson's Gift. She brings together in the same place Tennyson, Lewis Carroll and several other eminent Victorians and makes a wonderfully warm and funny novel out of it. It's now my favourite of her books - and there are still two novels I haven't read yet! Highly recommended.
on 3 July 2013
I bought this as a paperback from a charity shop a few years ago. Following a house move, I lost the hard copy, but I decided it was worth paying for a Kindle version to be able to read it again.
on 9 February 2014
A great read especially if you are familiar with the lovely Isle of Wight and have visited Dimbola. So funny.
on 21 June 2014
I've just worked my way through all of LT's books and think this was by far the best. I didn't know much about some of the characters but that hardly mattered! It read as a wonderful mixture of farce and misunderstanding with some clever pieces of fact and poetry woven in ( I especially loved the Dodgson;s "they told me you had been to her..." verses! Truss's writing style is clever, intelligent and above all witty. Some lines were pure "laugh-out-loud" Highle recommended!
on 24 November 2016
really enjoyed this novel - different to what I usually read quite surreal but entertaining and funny.
Arrived within a few days of ordering - was kept updated all the way - bought as in 'good' condition but I would say it was 'very good' condition
Excellent
on 10 October 2006
This is by far the best book Lynne Truss has written. The characters are strong and the imagery she conjours up is brilliant. The jacket is awful, but once you get over that, the journey is wonderful, and of course rather funny. But, be aware, the humour is dark and delicious.
on 23 February 2017