on 3 June 2017
This book had a nice light funny story to start things off. I was thinking: Will this be all the lighter side? Or a balanced view of everything in a copper's day to day life? It does often have a light, jokey feel to it and is a fairly gentle read with some witty observations. It’s not too heavy and it didn’t take ages to get to the end of an anecdote.

This is an anecdotal style presentation of his everyday experiences as a police officer, for example, attending sudden deaths; suspicious behaviour. Sometimes it's certainly a serious crime-and sometimes there's a funny incident in there. I found the chapter on forensics, fingerprints and DNA particularly interesting.

Some of humour I liked, some I wasn't sure of, cringed a few times, but on the whole a good and interesting 'behind the scenes' read. My only niggle was he tended to say “I digress” rather a lot-actually 24 times in the book!!! I already have both of the other two books in the series and look forward to reading those too. A good start to the series. And what a great cover, I couldn’t resist!
on 23 January 2012
I bought this book after seeing people talking about it on Twitter.
This is not the place I usually get my suggestions for literature but thought I would give it a go.
I have read many books claiming to be written by police officers and most are just a collection of facts and figures which are often not very accurate and just boring.
Books usually last me a very long time, I don't read a lot and sometimes one will last me from one holiday to the next.
This was different, once started I couldn't put it down.
Definitely written by a real life front line police officer and it shows.
The book is funny, engaging and had me rolling around the sofa in tears.
A must read for everyone police or not.
on 4 July 2017
This book really made me laugh. The writer has a good turn of phrase and understands people well. Some of the stories he gives are laugh out loud funny and his self effacing approach to his job and himself as a person makes the book enjoyable to read, A must for anyone that deals with the general public at large, having worked in public service for years I can completely relate to this guys take on life!
on 20 April 2017
This book is just my kind of humour and I loved it. Didn't want to put it down at times but be warned you will laugh out loud whether in public or not. Great to read from a real officers point of view and the way he tells the stories is genius. I have much better understanding of what cops go through and why they would need a great sense of humour to deal with what they do. Can't wait to read his other books. Arrived on time and was packaged well enough, no damage. Would recommend
on 17 November 2017
The only reason this hasn't got 5 stars is because it's,taken me ages to read! Used to reading novels where I get engrossed in the story this a humorous collection of anecdotes from policing so kept picking up every now and again and then when reading kept having to read out loud to hubby every time he asked what I was chuckling about! A book to dive in and out of but I missed the joy of getting stuck in a book I didn't want to put down.
on 7 November 2017
I can’t remember the last time I finished a novel in under 24 hours, or genuinely laughed out loud, at least before I read John Donoghue’s ‘Police, Crime and 999’ that is. ‘Police, Crime and 999’ is an insightful look at the job of a modern day, uniformed police officer in today’s overstretched Police ‘Service’ (I’m from the era when the police was still a force, not a ‘service,’ and dealt with criminals, not ‘customers’), and reflects the difficult and often thankless task John and his colleagues are faced with on a daily basis.

John’s stories run the full gamut of the situations (and offences) a uniformed police officer is likely to come across in modern-day Britain and are told with a good-natured humour that also extends to his colleagues, about whom he writes with affection; it is obvious this is a tight-knit team, members of which can depend on each other when things get a bit ‘hairy.’ John is also a mine of useful trivia.

If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like at the sharp end of policing, read this book...then buy the other two in the series. You won’t be disappointed.
on 11 November 2017
An enjoyable collection of stories from the frontline of policing.

Whilst amusing, it often goes off-track (something Donoghue claims he hates??) and if I see "But I digress" one more time, I will scream!

Some of his commentary on the people in the Kilo communities was a bit awkward as well, as were some of his comments about women.

I will give his other policing books a go as they have better reviews.
on 25 April 2015
Similar to John's other books, this is a good read regarding the day to day life as a front line officer.
on 8 May 2017
Genuinely one of the funniest books I've ever read. The wit is sometimes dark, sometimes subtle, sometimes silly but wit that made me laugh out loud. The book is occasionally interspersed with 'interesting' facts, a man after my own heart. So much in fact that I wonder if the author spent hours with his head stuck in the 20 volume set of the Childrens Encyclopedia in the '70s as much as I did...mmmmm. But I digress.
on 18 August 2014
Great read. A real life insight into the day to day job of a bobby. There are some hilarious tales. It's a great pick up put down book.