on 23 October 2011
4 stars for the picture and overall quality of the TV. 1 star lost for the sound. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great, but smaller speakers mean less bass. if you want a deep base sound get a subwoofer and use the socket on the back for it (well planned Toshiba)

So picture quality. Brilliant. I bought a Toshiba upscaler DVD player, with HDMI connection (there are 3 on the back of this) Fantastic. Played a movie and no blur!

Got a Wii connected up, again sockets in the back for it, playing online James Bond, lots of movement in the game and no motion blur. I dont know how an Xbox or PS3 would compare having much higher resolution graphics with only a 50Hz refresh rate.

Setup was easy, onscreen menu, job done. It has built in freeview which it prompts you to install, but I have Sky.

There are preset picture choices for cinema, gaming etc, and the same with sound. If you are not sure leave it on the standard dynamic default setting.

Delivery was in 2 days on supersaver, which is awesome, but that is no guarantee you will get that (there is an amazon depot near here)

Overall
value for money 5 stars
appearance and functionality 5 stars
sound quality 4 stars (but only cause i dont have a subwoofer, yet)

Saw the same model in a well known store for £180 more than i paid, well done amazon.
33 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2012
I was looking for a decent sized HD TV with enough features on a budget, and got exactly that. The 4 HDMI ports come in very handy, as do the 2 USB ports. Pretty light considering the size, too, and the HD picture is lovely, of course. My only gripe really is with the sound. Out of the box it sounded muffled and tinny, but with a bit of jiggery-pokery with the equalizer settings it sounds just fine now - not brilliant, but good enough. Recommended if you're just after something big enough to enjoy your blu-rays on, but not if you're a serious technophile that needs the best AV around.
on 5 April 2017
Works well
on 5 December 2011
I purchased from this customer in 2011 and am thoroughly delighted with the LCD tv. It gives satisfaction in all areas... vision, sound, size, quality and style. Great product, would thoroughly recommend *****
on 21 March 2012
As others have said, this is a great tv for the price. I am just writing this to let people know about the sky remote code for this tv is 0527. I had great difficulty getting this code, so i hope this helps out those who are stuck.
66 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2012
I bought the 40-inch version of this TV from Amazon (rather than a Marketplace seller) in January as a present for my mother but unfortunately we have not had a very good experience with it.

So far, there have been 2 defects with the TV. The first one was that the remote control unit was immediately defective at the time of purchase. This meant it was unable to set up the TV. Amazon sent me an account credit to cover the cost of buying a replacement control myself (rather than ship the whole thing back to them), which fixed the issue.

The second issue which has just developed is that the sound is no longer working on the TV unit itself. Amazon have agreed to replace the entire unit, and I'm waiting for this step to happen right now.

So in terms of customer service, I don't really have anything to fault Amazon. They have been pretty helpful and co-operative. However since the review is of the television, rather than of Amazon, then I have to rate this as not very good.

The TV itself when it was working performed pretty adequately, the image was quite good although I thought the sound was a bit 'murky' even after changing the settings. However since the build quality was so poor I am rating this as 2 stars.
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2011
TV arrived well packaged, i have wall mounted it and the base was a doddle to remove and no visible 'hole' where the base was. The materials are good quality and it is solidly built - even the remote has a aluminium trim and looks good Installation/set-up was easy and well though through menu driven from the remote. didn't need the handbook it did it itself.
Sound - for an LCD TV very good, way better than the Samsung it replaced.
Picture - excellent again better than the unit it replaced.
TV has 4 HDMI slots which is handy, i currently need 3 and have room for expansion.

I would definitely recommend this TV and it is excellent value for money.
on 19 January 2012
This TV is a thing of beauty, its design looks amazing, its a great size, the picture quality is amazing, I love everything about it.
I primarily use the TV for gaming, my PS3 works perfectly on it with a crystal clear 1080p image and a brilliant refresh rate, I can do fast paced gaming on a large screen, makes everything easier.
I have absolutely no problems or issues with this product and for the price it is an absolute steal, I would definitely recommend it to anyone, I'm one very very satisfied customer.
on 30 March 2012
Well I wanted to review this TV as I received it yesterday ( 30/03/2012) and thought that an honest and to the point review was needed. I have used the reviews on Amazon to try to help me make my choice and it was hard to say the least and understandable every ones expectations of product quality is different.

The TV is fantastic and I use this in my bedroom as a second TV to escape having to sit though EastEnders Etc.

My Xbox 360 with call of duty looks great and does not suffer form any lag or motion blur what so ever, so if any gamers are looking for an affordable TV for gaming, this is the one for you.

I run a Sky + box and the picture quality again is superb.

Delivery took 2 days and DPD delivered the item in good condition.

Buy with confidence as this TV is great.

A VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER INDEED :)
on 26 September 2011
When the sound on our BV700 went all crackly Amazon agreed to replace it with the new BV701 as the BV700 was no longer in stock, so this review compares the two.

Externally they appear to be identical except that there are now 2 USB ports and the audio phono out sockets have disappeared from the back. There has however been a major re-write of the GUI. This is now much simpler and more intuitive to use, which is a welcome change as the BV700 was very confusing at times. As with the BV700 the sound quality is pretty mediocre, but now attaching an external set of speakers is quite straight forward. Simply plugging the jack into the head phone sockets turns off the TV speakers and the volume setting automatically changes to the headphone settings. This is a major improvement over the BV700 which handled this very badly. (You had to navigate through several menus to find the separate volume menu). The loud relay clicking you got when you change video source (HDMI to SCART etc.) has also disappeared. So some big improvements so far....

The picture quality is however more questionable. I was very happy with the picture of the BV700 and expected this to be identical. However Toshiba have played around with the settings and I wouldn't say it was for the better. The picture is very bright, but possibly too bright as the image seems a little white washed at times. Also the contrast is set near maximum so there is little scope to increase it if you want. By reducing the brightness considerably I can nonetheless get a picture to my liking, just about.

The Freeview performance I cannot comment on as we are still in a not-spot. We use the excellent Humax freesat HD recorder which gives good performance in HD at 1080i. Similarly using a Blu-ray player provides an excellent video source.

So overall I think the TV is worth 4*, let down mainly by the sound. But don't assume that the BV701 is the same as the BV700, Toshiba have tinkered inside quite a bit.