on 1 October 2017
Firstly, can I advise that potential buyers take care if reading any reviews of this product that pre-date September 2017, because these reviews will be about a different box-set of much of the same recordings, but packaged very differently to this new offering, which is the definitive collection of the entire recorded music by Sequentia of the works of Hildegard Von Bingen. I am no expert in the performance practice of Early Music, but as a passionate fan of this genre, wanted to recommend this astonishing achievement by Sequentia; I do this without any reservations about the music, but with some real frustrations concerning the packaging, hence the (sad) omission of an otherwise deserved fifth star. I have long awaited this complete collection and on its arrival, was initially delighted by the packaging; -note, it arrived in perfect condition. However, my problems started as soon as I wished to retrieve the CDs from the complicated plastic holders, with their levers, clips and overlapping storage segments; -what a disaster! The first issue here is; -how on earth is one supposed to work out how this mechanism works without instructions? Well, I proceeded to try and after 3/4 attempts at retrieval and re-storage, I have one damaged CD and four broken levers. Is it just me?! -possibly, but my hunch is that I may not be alone! In summary, I simply cannot believe the record company department responsible for bringing this collection to market, could get virtually everything so right (and at potentially astounding value) but burden it with such a counter-intuitive, not-fit-for-purpose storage set-up; I have had no other choice, but to re-store my nine CDs in separate jewel cases; a shame.
8 people found this helpful
on 8 October 2017
This is an extraordinary bargain - a 9 disc box set at a very low price and with outstanding documentation; ignore all reviews that say that texts etc are missing, these relate to an earlier set. Texts are available as a pdf from the Sequentia website and the commentary provided is extensive.
4 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2016
The music is wonderful , and matches the service to a T .Will gladly deal with this company in the future .
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2012
Of the numerous recordings of Hildegard which have been springing up over the past three decades, those by Sequentia are among the best, balancing well what might be termed a 'historically informed performance' with delivering a feeling of the ecstatic experience of the divine which Hildegard was trying to capture in her compositions.

This is a bargain set collecting together re-releases of the eight discs from all of their six Hildegard recordings as follows:

Saints (2 disc set)
Ordo Virtutum (2 disc set)
Canticles of Ecstasy
Voice of the Blood
O Jerusalem
Symphoniae - Spiritual Songs

The only downside is that all you get is a relatively fragile and easily damaged cardboard box containing the eight discs in individual cardboard sleeves with track listing on the back of each - but there is no booklet whatsoever. A sung texts & translations booklet would have been nice. (I have no idea what the original discs contained on this front.) But it's great value and costs far less than the full MP3 set 900 Years of Hildegard von Bingen.
19 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 September 2017
The incompetence of Amazon reviews team is staggering. They put together reviews about a very different set. This review here is so far the only one about this set that looks like an old book and it was released on September 2017. But you will see reviews where reviewers, rightly so, complain about the lack of information or texts on the set...But they are referring to a previous set released by Sony a few years ago...

This set does come with a pdf with the complete lyrics. I couldn't find the pdf on cd one as mentioned. Maybe it is not compatible with Mac? But you can alternatively download the pdf with all texts for the songs. It's what I did so I don't care if I can't find the pdf on the cd.
This new set has a book with commentaries about each cd. The illustrated book is in English, German and French. See photos.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
12 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2016
I love the music of Hildegard of Bingen, and Sequentia's performance strikes me as having the utmost sensitivity and control.
My only gripe is with the paucity of information to accompany the recordings. This bargain box set, with enough liner notes etc, would be then, quite simply, perfect.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2016
Excellent.
on 9 July 2016
brilliant
on 16 August 2015
v.good
on 2 February 2013
Barbara Thornton bring you in a very spiritual atmosphere
I appreciate so much how she felt and sang St Hildegard' songs
5 people found this helpful