Of the numerous recordings of Hildegard which have been springing up over the past three decades, those by Sequentia are among the best, balancing well what might be termed a 'historically informed performance' with delivering a feeling of the ecstatic experience of the divine which Hildegard was trying to capture in her compositions.

This is a bargain set collecting together re-releases of the eight discs from all of their six Hildegard recordings as follows:

Saints (2 disc set)
Ordo Virtutum (2 disc set)
Canticles of Ecstasy
Voice of the Blood
O Jerusalem
Symphoniae - Spiritual Songs

The only downside is that all you get is a relatively fragile and easily damaged cardboard box containing the eight discs in individual cardboard sleeves with track listing on the back of each - but there is no booklet whatsoever. A sung texts & translations booklet would have been nice. (I have no idea what the original discs contained on this front.) But it's great value and costs far less than the full MP3 set 900 Years of Hildegard von Bingen.
on 26 December 2013
When I opened the box I was nonplussed when I could find absolutely nothing in the box except the CDs. My first thought was "Oh, someone's forgotten to put them in, but Amazon will sort that out soon enough". So, when I came back to my order then this page to find I wasn't the first to discover the problem, I was both very surprised and disappointed. You get the title of each track, and its duration - and that's it. Nothing about the music, or Sequentia......

Sorry Sony - you seem to have missed the point of box sets, or indeed any recording on "hard copy" - at least for classical music. And that is to enhance the music with information about the music and the performers. This helps to make sense of the music, and put it into some historical context. It doesn't need to be an encyclopaedia - just enough to get the interested listener started.

So I have given this set 1 star. Don't think the music isn't excellent or the recording - that's all fine. But if wanted a download, I would have bought a download.
on 22 May 2016
I love the music of Hildegard of Bingen, and Sequentia's performance strikes me as having the utmost sensitivity and control.
My only gripe is with the paucity of information to accompany the recordings. This bargain box set, with enough liner notes etc, would be then, quite simply, perfect.
on 7 May 2016
The music is wonderful , and matches the service to a T .Will gladly deal with this company in the future .
on 2 February 2013
Barbara Thornton bring you in a very spiritual atmosphere
I appreciate so much how she felt and sang St Hildegard' songs
on 22 May 2016