Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 February 2012
I really enjoyed this book; it's not a demanding read but I found it totally absorbing.

The characters are superbly well drawn, from the clandestine Sandman to the archetypal senior government official with all his whims and foibles. The locations really jumped off the page; I could smell the fusty leather and stale cigar smoke in the gentleman's club. The descriptive passages about the interior of The Savoy read like a picture brochure and for me gave the story a real three dimensional feel. Add a well crafted plot and a dash of conspiracy to all of this and the whole is rollicking good read. And all so plausible. The narrative and dialogue flows well and I found it an engrossing page turner. I'm off to check out whether there are any more books by S K Nicoll who's a new author to me. Thanks for a great story.
on 1 August 2011
I bought this on a whim having just purchased a new Kindle (which I think is fab!).
My expectations of this book were low. Indeed, I expected not to be tempted to venture beyond the first few pages.
How wrong could I be! It gripped me from page two and would not let me go. Yes, it has all the formulaic elements that Jeffrey Archer's books have but done in an oh so much better way.
I almost hated myself for becoming so engrossed in the plot because it was such an easy and light read. I did not even guess the twist at the end.
War and Peace it ain't - but if you want a great beach or pool side book, this is it! Go enjoy!
I cannot wait for the next book.
on 4 April 2012
I found this enjoyable. The basic plot idea of a secret group defending the monarchy is a good one, and the development of it is pretty good, too. It certainly kept me reading. On the downside, there were some unbelievable elements. For example, how does a young architecture student suddenly become capable of fighting off more than one trained thug? (I won't go on about the freebie pen, because I don't want to include spoilers). I think the author should have developed his character more, likewise his two virtually interchangeable girlfriends. The sex scenes were excessive and unnecessary, and, as others have noted, the "Jesus laughing Christ" expletive is weird, unpleasant and repetitive, seeming to be a favourite of more than one character. The story becomes a bit saccharine towards the end, with the result that I finished it with my liking for it on the decline.
on 19 October 2011
Just finished this cracking thriller. Based around a very original idea it is fast paced, spicy, and lacking in deference for the major institution in the UK. I couldn't see the end coming and was hooked from page one. An excellent read - Highly Recommended ! Roll on the next Sally Nicholl book.
on 1 August 2012
Not my normal holiday read, but excellent. I could not put it down, I was torn between the book or the Indian ocean, the book came 2nd most of the time, but what tough competition.
Whilst it is all fiction, it does make you think, did it, could it happen, I am sure things like this happen in our small world every day, perhaps not on such a high profile case.
The book was very well written and as we know a lot of the characters mentioned it was easy to see it in your mind, one day this will make an excellent thriller for the TV.
I will be be looking for more from this author.
on 19 October 2015
There are some books that should never have been written. This is one of them.

Unbelievable plot. Unbelievable characters.

Although an obvious opportunity which numerous (and better) writers might have tackled, none of them did. Good decision. Leave this sort of stuff to the conspiracy theorists - they're all barmy enough to believe it. And even if you take it as fiction, it still has to be a little bit plausible; and this book just isn't.

I got as far as chapter seven before I decided. I'd had enough.
on 5 December 2011
I bought this after reading the first few chapters for free from the authors website, and then I was hooked. I don't have a kindle yet, but was kindly informed that I could download a reader for free onto my pc from Amazon.
I found the power behind the throne to be one of those books that keeps you up half the night, because you just have to know what happens. What I loved most about the book was that you could really imagine something like this happening in real life.
This books costs less than a glossy magazine but is loads more interesting full of twists and turns to keep you going right to the end.
The only down point was finishing the book, I can't wait for Sally Nicoll's next book.
on 17 August 2011
So, just before his ill-fated wedding to a clothes horse, the heir to the throne had a dalliance with a chalet girl at a Swiss ski resort. Years later, the result of that night threatens the very future of the monarchy. Enter a mysterious organisation created to protect the stability of the royal family, working with such enthusiasm that it stops at nothing.

Complete tosh, of course. And yet, and yet....

This is a rattling good read. Written in short chapters that feel almost like news broadcasts, the book has more gasps, twists and sub plots than it is reasonable to withstand. At times I had to force myself to stop reading just to pause for breath. Clearly written for an international market (I found the explanations of British references occasionally tiresome) it cleverly exploits a universal concern about the truth behind much loved public facades.

This was the first time I'd read an e-book. I was sceptical about the process and feared I would miss the excitment of turning pages and the smell of the paper but it was so gripping I would have continued reading even if I'd needed to run on a treadmill to generate the power.

A perfect book for the beach or a lazy afternoon but I wouldn't recommend it for a train journey - you might miss your stop.

And you get to find out what really happened in that tunnel in Paris. Possibly.
on 30 September 2011
If you love a conspiracy theory you'll love THE POWER BEHIND THE THRONE. The plot is exciting and you never know it may all be more close to the truth than we realise! This was my first e-book and it has certainly encouraged me to read more thrillers on my kindle .
Well done Sally - when can we expect to see your next book?
The Power Behind The Throne: The Royal Thriller
An absolute thrilling & exciting read. Sally Nicoll has created a daring but bravely original subject for her plot. As soon as the characters are introduced your interest is hooked. They are believable strong, characters that you travel along with through each exciting twist & turn of conspiracy. It's descriptive dialogue gives you the feeling of being right there in the place with them. Fast but easy pace & style of writing that will keep you engrossed. Very thought provoking. Would thoroughly recommend this book. So gripping it had me up until the early hours turning pages.