Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 16 June 2011
If your a fan of military thrillers novels by the likes Andy McNab or Chris Ryan then this debut novel by Ross Kemp is right up your street.

I am not going to pretend its a masterpiece but to be honest I would not know a masterpiece if it hit me in the face.

All I can say is I bought this book because it seemed like a book which can hold my attention and pass some time, I was not disappointed.

The story line is not too far-fetched either. Nick Kane is a believable character, true to his morals and values and not just some crazy super soldier we are used to seeing in books like this.

If I had to point out any negative aspects then I would have to say that the chapters are far too long for my style of reading and they seem to jump about a bit. You can still follow the story but its so action packed, you need a good memory.

So overall its a decent read, worth picking up. I will certainly be ordering the next novel by Ross Kemp.

Well done!

PS: I am so glad the book went straight to paperback. I see no point in paying over the odds for a big clunky hard back edition of newly released books.
on 6 July 2011
This is Ross Kemps first novel & it is pretty good. Being ex forces myself I read the novel with a bit of a critical eye but then I do the same for any novel of this sort be it Chris Ryan, Andy Macnab etc. That said I enjoy them for the escapism that they are particularly when doing a long shift at work. The story wound on very well but it did get a bit erratic near the end & seemed to resolve itself in a rushed way. As I said it is his first novel & much can be learned from the experience to even out in the next. That said it was a very enjoyable read & I look forward to his next novel with anticipation.
on 17 February 2012
I have never read Andy McNab but got this book as I had been fascinated by Ross Kemp's TV programmes on Afghanistan. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it has a good, exciting storyline and the the hero, Nick Cane, is an interesting character, more thoughtful and complex that one might imagine the average ex-soldier to be. The descriptions of the Afghan countryside and the ordinary peasants whose lives have been all but destroyed by years of war are sympathetic and one learns quite a bit about this country whose name has been a byword for hatred and terror for a couple of centuries. I hope that Ross Kemp will continue to add fiction writing to his career as a maker of much plauded documentaries.
on 17 August 2011
Considering this is his first attempt at a book like this i really enjoyed the read and struggled to put it down.
on 2 August 2011
Brilliant book by Ross Kemp who combines his knowledge of the armed forces with an excellant story.
There is alot of detail to the book but that just adds to create the picture in your mind as you read through the book.
LOVED IT!
on 19 July 2011
I thought for a first attempt this was very good book. I will buy the next one for certain, hope Nick Kane makes a return
on 2 July 2014
brilliant- totally involving......felt as if I was really there in the midst of all the action- I am a fan of Andy Macnab et al so this was right up my street. Kemp really captures the spirit de corps and involves you as a fellow combatant.... he writes sensitively and with humour/ irony in a way that is unique...........definitely conveys Afghanistan - I lived there for some years in the 70s before it all went mad there..... but Kemp really has been there and 'done his homework'..... he certainly knows his weapons too...... my goodness, what an amazing imaginative chap he is......... !!! PLease let's have much much more !!!
on 9 July 2012
Not bad as a first book in what looks like a series?
Not quite Mack Bolan (Don Pendleton) or even any of the ex SAS writers, but I read it quicker than I have for a while.
Hope the second one is as good or even better.
Being a Ross fan it was a must buy for me in this fictional world.

Off to buy the new one!!
on 5 August 2012
i must say this is one of these books once you start you don't want to put down. i must say that i enjoyed this book very much and i hope other people do as well. Ross Kemp has written avery enjoyable book and i can't wait to start the next one , i just hope that he writes some more books with Nick Kane in.
on 7 April 2016
Having read Kemps other books on Gangs and Criminals I was equally pleased with this story and it's exciting plot. Highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in British intelligence and the war in Afghanistan.