on 13 October 2011
I bought this satnav as an upgrade from my original TomTom 1 version 2. It really is a Jekyll and Hyde device. When it works it is great, really great. The smart routing automatically guided me around a slow horse-box one time, and the traffic alerts are way more accurate than overhead gantry signs or anything you hear on the radio - very impressive. The Google search is outstanding - you can search for, for example, a coffee shop close to you, on your route, or close to your destination; wonderful !

But when it gives problems it is terrible. The first sign of trouble was when Google search stopped working; it told me it couldn't contact the server, even all the other Live services (e.g. traffic) worked fine. I contacted TomTom support (after a long wait) and the techie advised resetting to factory values, which worked. The trouble is there is no way to back-up your settings. You can back-up your favourites, but that's all and it is very obviously an after-thought in the software. You can't back-up anything else, so getting the device back to how you like it is a long & tedious affair.

A week later it started rebooting every minute or so. This time I was away from home so couldn't restore my favourites after resetting to factory values. It worked, again, but I had to re-enter all my settings by hand, again.

The bottom line is that when it works properly it is fantastic, the best satnav I have used, but it's flaky. TomTom appear to have taken this device to market before it is ready, and before they are ready to adequately support it. If you are going to buy one I advise you wait for 6-12 months while TomTom iron out the very obvious bugs, and train their techies to suggest things other than "Reset to Factory Settings".

UPDATE - 2 years later. I have kept the unit up to date with all updates and have kept Live services going and I have now lost patience with TomTom. My unit has completely stopped showing safety camera alerts despite my Live subscription being up to date, and I'm not the only one - search Google for "tomtom live 820 cameras" and see what comes up. The scary thing is that other TomToms clearly use the same firmware/software, so the erratic behaviour I am seeing is also seen on other, more expensive TomToms. I have bought my last TomTom. If anyone knows how I can trade this thing in for a Garmin please reply here.
22 Comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2011
I had read many reviews of the 82x and 100x TomToms containing a lot of complaints, so when I took the risk and bought one I was relieved to find that most problems seem to have been overcome. Updating maps, speed cameras and live traffic info work OK, and the integrated mount works well. The screen is clearer and the instructions better than my old "One".
What doesn't work? Well the MyTomTom software used for updating is pretty poor e.g. while you start downloading the initial map update (about 1hr) it immediately reports "your maps are up to date" - reading the many complaints I suspect this leads a lot of people to quit before it has downloaded. MapShare is not yet available and the memory (which is 95% full with European maps) cannot be increased because the SD card slot is not yet enabled. What is amazing is that these devices have been on sale for over a year, with both these features trumpeted in the sales blurb and no prominent mention that they don't work.
So while I am pleased with the device and it is great at the job, I have given only 3 stars because of dishonesty/incompetence on behalf of TomTom. Full marks for Amazon though.
1313 Comments| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2012
TomTom Go Live 825 is a wonderful product - with a friendly voice and takes you exactly where you want to go.

I haven't tried any more features yet, eg: finding a parking or doing a Google Search for finding nearby places.

Make sure that after buying this SatNav device, you plug it in your PC and download all available updates every once in a while - as this will ensure that your navigational device is updated most of the times and this will not only save your fuel, traveling time and hassles but it will give you a peace of mind while traveling to new places and far-away destinations.

It is a 5 star product, although I don't mind if it came with a 2-USB port for charging an additional usb device, such as an iPOD/ iPHONE while travelling.
on 4 May 2013
I am delighted with the device which is more accurate as anything that I used in the services a few decades back!

Unfortunately TOMTOM seems to be so popular that their secretarial teams do not seem to be able to catch up with registrations for Life Time Maps.

I have been waiting for 3 months from registration and still do not have confirmation that I WILL get FREE MAPS FOR LIFE.

They do not reply to hastening emails.

I do hope that I am not gpoing to have to fork out a yearly sub for updates!!

Tony D
on 15 March 2017
item as described and delivery was quick
on 1 August 2017
Good satnav
on 16 February 2013
Warns me about the road side death rays including in Italy where they are painted grey. It improves routes if the traffic builds up and gives places of interest eg restaurants near where you are. INDESPENSIBLE
on 20 May 2017
Good durable unit, easy operation, clear maps. Poor in bright sun. TomTom site is not easy to navigate for expensive map upgrades.
on 3 December 2012
I had a lot of problems connecting to the Live service, although this seems to be resolved now. Tomtom also cancelled my free subscription to the live services after a week but customer services did resolve this. I have just completed a major map update which seems to have gone to plan. In operation the unit does seem to work well now and has certainly saved time avoiding traffic congestion.
on 4 November 2013
The item was as stated, very good .I have use it and was very impressed with the tomtom
Thanks to all