on 5 July 2011
I've loved this summer. It's like 2006 all over again where I couldn't move for Doctor Who stuff I wanted to buy. Today I picked up the BYO Sonic Screwdriver and the 4th Doctor's sonic, which I've duly reviewed, but I also added this to my basket to sit alongside stuff like Jack's vortex manipulator and the Journal of Impossible things (i.e. not sonic stuff, but cool all the same).

As this one fell into the 'not-sonic-stuff' category, I was unsure whether to buy, but the feature set reads impressively from the box and it certainly looks the part.

It feels it too. Nice and chunky and sturdy even given that you have a moving trigger and back section of the nano gun. Lights abound, first for detail, second for you to recreate the 'underskin' effect seen in the Series 6 opener. The nano gun can be cocked and then 'fired' with an accompanying 'whoosh' sound.

What I liked most of all however is the big feature. Remember those quick memo pads in the 90s where you could record a message? Or how about those personalised audio greetings cards? This toy, to emulate the Doctor's hearing of the TARDIS crew's audio logs in the actual episode, can record and store up to 10 seconds of audio at a time. That in itself is cool, but especially impressive was the sound quality. Expectations of tinniness and distortion were blown out of the water.

This really is a sleeper hit and I doubt it'll get quite the attention it deserves in the face of other Who toys this summer, but definitely one to snap up and likely to be one of the rarer ones.
on 11 October 2011
This toy is great fun, I bought this for my son for his 10th Birthday and he and his brother and sister had lots of fun recording messages on it. It is not really designed to be educational just fun and in this case it does the job perfectly. It is ideal for any Dr Who Fan or gadget lovers, My son has Aspergers and he is both! We have found it durable.... been dropped a few times and my 6 year old has had her hands on it frequently! The batteries also seem to last well too, we are still on the first set. Overall great fun and good value for money!
on 1 December 2011
Fab toy that offers educational value as well as lots of fun. Listening in on conversations and recording them proved irresistible to my little one. Watch what you say it may be plated back to you at a later date.
on 24 April 2013
This was a gift for a friends daughter. She loves it but has caused arguments among her sibblings when secret recordings are made very public!! haha
on 10 July 2013
I bought this to display with my other t.v related toy collection looks good & retro maybe a future collectors item who knows ?
on 13 August 2013
This is one of them things that you don't really notice but is important. This was only in one scene.

The detail is superb. It looks wonderful. It doesn't do much more than record your voice but what do you expect?

It's a great toy and probably will become a collector's item because, as I said, you don't tend to notice it.
on 1 December 2013
because it was a doctor who toy as he loves doctor who toys he as lots amazing sound x x
on 19 October 2015
My little brother loved this, looks exactly like the one from Doctor Who and sound effects are on point.
on 21 November 2013
My 6 year old loves it, easy to use - good gift, little expensive maybe but then most toys are!
on 14 March 2013
as decribed and sent quick, my disabled son is a dr who fan and uses this regularly now - -