on 16 August 2015
Was a good story with happy ending. Was unpredictable too which I like .I will read more Frank Renzi stories
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 July 2011
Diva by Susan Fleet is a deeply psychological novel of layers and contrasts that takes place in two different worlds both existing in New Orleans. Belinda Scully, flute virtuoso is at the top of her elegant world of classical music concerts, including performing to rave reviews in London's Royal Festival Hall. Chantelle is a homeless teenager with a jazz musician boyfriend caught up in a world of dope-dealing thugs. Belinda is being stalked by an increasingly dangerous psychopath. Chantelle is menaced by a powerful gang lord.

And the irresistible NOPD Detective Frank Renzi needs to cut through the webs of deception both women are tangled in in order to solve the mounting murders and prevent more death-- including his own and that of his new girlfriend. Fleet brings it all together in an absolutely riviting ending.

Well developed characters people every level of this non-stop complex plot set in post-Katrina New Orleans. (And did I mention the serial rapist?) Music lovers will especially appreciate how thoroughly Susan Fleet knows and develops all aspects of the music background.
on 16 April 2012
I've just written a review of another book (called Ctrl-Alt-Delete) which starts with two separate story lines both of which are so uninteresting that I struggled to bother to find out if they were interwoven or not. In fact the book is so badly written that I gave up on it before the 10% mark.

I mention this because, strangely enough, the book I moved on to from that, DIVA, also started with two separate storylines. However, DIVA's storylines are gripping and beautifully interwoven and I found myself hooked from Page One.

DIVA is a well-written novel and, with one exception, has interesting, believable characters. The exception? Well, to be honest, I'm getting a bit tired of 'baddies' with 'Special Ops' training and/or seriously weird childhoods, and there's one of those here who encompasses both clichés. I've knocked off one star for that.
on 8 October 2011
Diva is another fast paced, exciting mystery from the writer of Absolution, Susan Fleet, one of today's best story tellers. Again featuring Detective Frank Renzi, a post-Katrina New Orleans cop, this story deals with Belinda Scully, an international virtuoso flute soloist who is being stalked by a psychotic serial killer.
Well developed characters as well as a wonderful sense of place are some of the outstanding assets of this book. You feel that you really experience New Orleans in the same kind of way that you feel about Robert B. Parker's Boston.
I found myself reading it slower and slower by the end of the book in order to stretch it out. That it something I rarely do - only when I really enjoy a book. Highly recommended!
on 31 December 2012
Set in post-Katrina New Orleans this thriller interweaves two storylines to great effect.
The major plot line involves Belinda Scully, an internationally reknowned flute player, who is being plagued by a stalker.
This is the second book in the Detective Frank Renzi series. I read this book first and whilst this did not spoil my enjoyment I understand that the character has been developed since book 1. There is something to be said for reading a series in order.
I found this book intelligent, fast paced and interesting. The characters had depth and there was a romance thrown in for good measure.
A great read!
on 17 May 2012
I loved the first book of the series "Absolution", and Susan Fleet did it again, delivering to us a great story in the sequel "DIVA".
The way she mixes her love of music into the story is creative and unique. Susan's description of post Katrina New Orleans is very observant and thoughtful.
I truly loved reading this series so far and I am eagerly anticipating the next book.
on 23 April 2013
My first book by this author, but definitely not my last.
This is a fabulous read..a clever developement of two seemingly unrelated storylines which continually intertwined.
Superbly drawn characters, both 'goodies' and 'baddies', made the whole story very plausible and keep the reader hooked to the final page.
Now I'm about to download the other Frank Renzi books and am looking forward to reading them.
Totally recommended.
on 18 July 2011
Diva (Susan Fleet)

Suspense/Thriller Belinda Scully is a famous flute player, a Diva. She has many fans, one that has become obsessed. Frank Renzi , a New Orleans police detective is investigating a robbery. He is called to investigate the death of Belinda's assistant, he believes this was a murder. Soon Belinda finds herself at the hands of a psychopath, a crazed man who is obsessed with her.

The second in the Frank Renzi series, well written nail-biting page turner. Susan Fleet gets into the mind of the killer with vivid detail leaving you looking over your shoulder and wanting to keep the lights on.

I highly recommend to those who love thriller/suspense. I also recommend the first book in this series:Absolution
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 July 2012
Set amidst all the colour, squalor and courage of post-Katrina New Orleans. An attractively rumpled hard-boiled and all-heart detective. A beautiful young musician stalked by a vicious obsessive. Right from the start you can see it isn't going to be pretty.

It's not. And I'm not talking about plot development here. Diva is a long way short of a quality detective genre read.

Fleet's characterisation is hugely let down by stock descriptions trotted out repeatedly. All her characters have dark secrets. The women are all referenced by the colour of their eyes. Under pressure, the men's guts roil and and churn. All of them. Every time. Stomach-churning. And not in a good way.

Dialogue founders weakly and action is delayed while characters lock gaze (here we go with those eyes again) and mutually assess physique. Fleet needs to make up her mind whether this series is a romance with thrills or a thriller with frills. It's not doing either well. Police procedural detail is sketchy and sex that might be about to be satisfying for someone is inevitably and repeatedly interrupted by news of another murder.

Diva eventually lights a few twigs in the fire-fight of the final chapters. But it's been a long and implausible haul and I won't be back in Detective Frank Renzi's New Orleans any time soon.
on 11 February 2013
Yep loved it. First book I've read by this author and I'm looking forward to reading more! I learned a lot about the devestation to peoples lives caused by Katrina as well.