1,009
Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 741 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 November 2011
I just saw "Breaking Dawn" part 1, and I was VERY impressed, even if as a man I am probably not the most typical fan of "Twilight" series. I rather liked all the "Twilight" movies until now and this one is, to my personnal taste, as good as the previous ones - and even in one aspect a little bit better, as Edward and Bella finally become lovers. Below, you will find a short description of what I believe are the best elements of this film, with very limited SPOILERS:

1. Actors. All actors evolved as the serie continued and I believe they all got better with time. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner are both excellent, but - in my humble opinion - it is Kristen Stewart who in this movie shines the most. Quite a lot of people frequently criticized her actorship claiming that she simply can not play at all and has a very limited assortment of expressions in her tool box. But for me, after reading "Twilight" books, this is how the character of Bella should be. I can hardly picture her wide smiling with all her teeth bared or doing any other highly extraverted things like that. In fact I believe that either by design or by accident Kristen Stewart got the things right about this character - her minimalistic approach to facial expressions actually makes (for me) Bella very believable and also quite likeable. In this part of the story, Bella shows a more dynamic approach to life by taking her destiny firmly under control. She makes important decisions and takes extreme risks, stubbornly resisting the opposite advice of all her family and friends - all of that in a deceptively unassuming way... And Kristen Stewart acted in the movie exactly as I pictured Bella did it, when I read the books. A very good job!

Other actors are also great, with Ashley Greene and Billy Burke being as usual the pillars - but amongst the supporting roles it is Nikki Reed who really gets the most praise from me. She has a much bigger role in this film and she is perfect in it! The one (little) disappointment is Jackson Rathbone, who changed comletely his haircut for this film and as a result his character, Jasper, seems much less impressive, which is a pity. He also seems to appear very little in the "first line", almost as if the director preferred to hide him a little...

2. Visual aspects. As usual, the images of state of Washington are great - dark forests filled with (were)wolves are very much present here and they are a great background for the story. The tropical island where Bella and Edward spend their honey moon is also very pleasantly showed.

3. Music. As usual in those series, music and songs have been selected very carefully and with a great taste.

4. The (were)wolf pack. The Quileute wolves are shown here even more and better than in the previous part. The scene of their war council, when they are all in the werewolf form, is absolutely great! The scene when Sam (the alpha male) asserts and confirms his power over the pack is excellent - as good as the description of Jacob's defiance and its consequences.

5. The wedding. A very nice and moving scene with some humour elements, especially when the guests make speeches offering toasts. Emmett, Jessica and Bella's father give here a great show. In the same time Mike Newton obsesses on vampire bridesmaids from the Denali clan, to the point of drooling (and I TOTALLY understand him!). Bella's mum and, suprprise surprise, Rosalie (!) are also real treasures in wedding scenes.

6. Quileute wolves vs. Cullen coven confrontation. This heartbreaking, tense and at moments violent conflict in which both sides are trapped against their will is a great moment in the Twilight saga - and its final resolution is even better! Finally it is true what the Beatles were singing - all you need is love! Babies help too...

7. The fight for Bella's life, Renesmee's bloody birth and Bella's fate - excellent! Those were moments very difficult to film - but the challenge was met succesfully! Nothing more about it to avoid more spoilers, but I was very impressed!

Conclusion: it is an excellent movie which I watched with great pleasure. My wife, who usually is a much harder person to please, loved it too and she is going to see it again with some girlfriends. And we will certainly both wait with great expectations for the "Breaking dawn" part 2. If it was done as well as that one, it will be certainly worth waiting one year to see it...

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON BLU-RAY (21 March 2012): This item has a printing error on the outer packaging which lists a special feature that is not included. This feature is listed as: "Filming The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1: A New Beginning, The Wedding, The Honeymoon". According to amazon, this feature was never meant to be on the Blu Ray version and was only ever present on the 2 disc special edition. However, after buying it, I received from amazon a message informing me, that the distributor is producing a disc with the special feature on it FOR FREE for customers who would like it. I was instructed just to email my amazon order number and my adress to the distributor to receive the upgraded Bly Ray disc FREE of any charge, including shipping.
88 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2011
I've been an enthusiastic reader of all the Twilight Saga books, and have enjoyed all the movies (even New Moon - criticised by many for what was only its faithfulness to the book). The Breaking Dawn novel blew me away: the best and strongest of the lot, harrowing and exhilarating to read; and I couldn't imagine how they would be able to film it in anything like the same spirit - especially the graphic horror of Renesmee's birth, which I know has been a step too far for some; and equally difficult, the culmination of Edward and Bella's vampire-and-mortal love.
I needn't have worried. The movie did the best possible job of filming the unfilmable in the only sensible way, by sketching these awesome moments in quick flashes that anyone familiar with, and appreciative of, the books would follow without difficulty. Marvellous! Even more than I had dared to expect.
At this point, unsympathetic reviewers (and the "haters", who only contribute to spread a little venom on something they've never liked) say, "But what about people who haven't read the books?" To which I'd reply, "Then go read them, and give them a proper chance; and THEN go see the movies again. If you still don't like the books, then don't presume to comment on something you'll never understand."
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2012
What can I say about Twilight? I've never bothered much to read the books,or watch the movies for that matter, but I saw girls/women around me in awe about this. Edward this, Edward that, Robert Pattinson here and there. So after watching Vampire Diaries I got curious and started watching Twilight. Within 20 minutes I was hooked. Can't let go anymore, ordered the books, ordered all the movies there are and following everything now very closely.

Feel a little embarrassed because I'm a 35 y/o woman that is totally hooked on the characters (book as wel as the people portraying them on screen) and keep rewatching over and over and over again. I actually feel a bit empty inside when I'm done watching, so I start from the beginning again haha!

I love the story, the special effects in the movie, it's just such a great big love. You shouldn't overthink it all too much. I know people are saying well how stupid is that, she has to die in order to be with him, he is too protective and overbearing. But don't look at that. Look at why she wants to become a vampire and why he acts around her the way he does. It's their love. And that love is amazing and I would wish for everybody in the world.

So read the books, watch the movies. You'll have a lovestory for life :)
55 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2011
I'm a number of decades from Stephanie Meyer's target audience, and probably the wrong sex too. Others can talk better than I on the details of the plot. I'd just like to say how nice it was (and I include the previous three films here too) to find a film that basically gets on with telling a good story, at a good pace, allowing you to engage with the characters, and which you come out of just thinking "that was excellent". Other films may go deeper, but you can watch those on other days, in different moods. There's room for both.

I think all the adaptations of the books have been first rate, and it bodes very well for the final instalment next year. Top marks to all concerned.
on 1 March 2016
I absolutely love this film and Infact the whole series is my favourite of all time. In this film Bella and Edward get married and Bella ends up falling pregnant. It's full of dramatics After a brief prologue in which the cast receive their wedding invitations the film opens with Edward and Bella’s long-awaited nuptials. These are admittedly well-mounted and the bride’s Pippa Middleton dress is very on-trend. They also give the unsung heroes of the Twilight cast, Billy Burke as Bella’s father Charlie and Anna Kendrick as her friend Jessica, their once-per-film chance to show off: in this case, in an enjoyable after-dinner speech montage that recalls a scene from this summer’s sleeper hit comedy Bridesmaids. The happy couple then jet off on their Brazilian honeymoon, during which the groom’s enthusiastic lovemaking demolishes their four-poster bed – well, after 200-odd years of abstinence, it would
I've just seen part 1 last night at the midnight showing at my local pictures and it was absolutely brilliant!

The film producers have done the book justice and stuck with the book's telling rather than veering off and adding bits in that were not in the book. They have also put a lot of content from the book in without exactly explaining it all so I would imagine if anyone hasn't read the book that some parts may be missed on them so my advice would be if you haven't read the book to please try and take the time out to read it as it is absolutely fantastic and obviously goes into more detail than the film producers would be able to in the short time of the two films.

The film starts off with the invites to Bella and Edwards wedding going out with Jacob obviously not taking the news well and we see him running out of his house and changing into wolf form to take off upset. The film then progresses onto the wedding and both Bella and Edward look stunning. There is also a little cameo appearance from the author of the books Stephenie Meyer as she appears in the wedding crowd as one of the guests so try and watch out for her if you can. The happy couple then go off on their honeymoon to Isle Esme (an island that Carlisle bought for Esme for her wedding present from him when they were married which the film briefly mentions but doesn't totally explain) and they is a bedroom scene with breaking of the bed involved. I don't want to ruin the film with any spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the book but from this point on the honeymoon takes a bit of a dip and the couple end up having to cut their honeymoon short and return home.

As a massive fan of the book I was really pleased with the film and they way the film producers have kept true to the book. There are also lots of humorous moments in the film with some of the wedding speeches actually making everyone in the pictures laugh last night. The background music was beautiful with quite a few of the previous film's tracks in this one such as Bella's Lullaby. The film also finished on what I would say was a good 'middle' point of the book. I can't wait for part 2 and have just pre-ordered part 1's DVD to go with the rest of them. Brilliant and a definite must watch for all Twilight Fans.

********************************************************************************************************************** Make sure you wait at the end of the film after the trailers as there is an extra scene with the Volturi which a lot of people missed last night as they rushed off to get home (understandable at 2.30am but I feel sorry for them that they missed it).
on 8 December 2011
The film BREAKING DAWN PART 1 is a striking adaptation of the book's romantic aspects and traumatic events. The book itself is divided into three parts and the film covers about two thirds of these in its progression towards Bella's vampire transformation.

So far, the critics seem to favor ECLIPSE for its strong focus on action and by doing so, they arguably lose sight of the fact that these adaptations are based on a book series of which ROMANCE is its overall theme. My personal favorites are TWILIGHT and BREAKING DAWN for how they effectively introduce and conclude the story by emphasizing that the eternal love between its central characters - Edward and Bella - is the driving force of the story.

I hoped that the film would capture the passion and emotion of Edward and Bella's relationship as it evolves into marriage, sex, impending parenthood and dual immortality. Thankfully, screentime is well-devoted to these aspects. Robert Pattinson (Edward) and Kristen Stewart (Bella) share intense chemistry, which adds depth and sincerity to the lovers' connection. Their layered performances ensure that the characters' transition from joy to despair is very believable. A standout scene is when Edward desperately attempts to revive Bella after the birth of their daughter.

The birth scene is very well done; it is horrific without stressing gore. There is enough implication of what is happening through sound effects and the hazy perspective of a dying Bella to result in an effective interpretation of this section of the book.

The wedding ceremony is beautiful. The reception is humorous and sweet, with family and friends making toasts to the happy couple.

The wolfpack subplot has rather slow pacing, but it works well as a plot device for the input of more action sequences and for Jacob to realize his position. His imprinting provides clarity and closure to a love triangle that, in my opinion, did the story more harm than good in the previous two films. My biggest disappointment about the NEW MOON film was that it misguidingly and prematurely focused on the love triangle instead of what I hoped it would concentrate on - the significance of Edward and Bella's separation and reunion as described in the book.

I will definitely be purchasing this item when it comes out to buy and I'm looking forward to seeing what selection of special features it has to offer.
Bring on BREAKING DAWN PART 2!
on 17 March 2012
I have been a bit of an iffy viewer of the Twilight series contrary to my wife who dribbles and drools over both R.P. and Jacob along with her daughter and son-in-law. (Never sure about him!!)They had all been to see this film at the cinema and grouchy old me declined choosing, instead to stay at home. However, since then as an alternative to having my wife sectioned, or at least prescribed some sort of calming medication, I purchased the DVD and I sat and watched it in full, and have to admit I enjoyed it and found it very entertaining. I find myself looking forward to Part 2 where I will probably go to the cinema with my wife to watch it first and will follow that up with another DVD purchase so that my wife can continue to feed her obsession.
on 27 November 2011
I have to say I really enjoyed the film being a huge Twighlight fan. The film only seemed to be on for a short while and I didn't want it to end, which is always a good sign of a good movie. I can see why some critics down rated the film, if you weren't aware of the previous films or the books you may struggle with the characters abilities. I have read all the books and seen the previous films so I know the characters well, and you know sometimes when you read the book it sometimes spoils the films, it doesn't in this film.
on 26 October 2015
After being persuaded to watch this whole saga , it was with somewhat anticipated boredom that I did
Sit down and watch the first film in this five set , I mean vampires and wolves at my age 44, sounded awful, however, I quickly ate my words, I was totally hooked within the first ten minutes, it's an amazing story and I won't give anything away but not what I expected, you need to watch the set in order otherwise it won't make sense