on 5 December 2013
I have been looking for a way to improve Wi-Fi coverage at home for years. Encouraged by the hundreds of good reviews for the Netgear WN3000RP, I decided to try one. I have a BT Home Hub 3, which some reviewers have said causes problems but the set up really couldn't have been easier. I didn't bother with the WPS option so used the web browser set up which only took a few minutes. I now have an excellent signal in rooms where previously there was none. I have powered the WN3000RP off and on again; I was able to reconnect without any intervention.

The design of the WN3000RP is really neat; it plugs straight into an electrical socket so there are no cables, no massive power adapter (how many times do you get a product where the power supply is bigger than the product itself), no need for a shelf/table to put it on. This makes it really portable and can be moved around any dead zones in the house.

Some reviewers have complained about the price but at £29 from Amazon, I think it's excellent value for money.

The main use for the WN3000RP was to allow me to stream media to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the bedroom. Using BubbleUPnP on the Tab and Samsung Link on the PC server, it works a treat.
on 29 January 2014
There are two doors between my office and our Sky router. If both were shut my Acer would sometimes struggle to get a signal. I didn't really have a convenient power socket between the Sky router and my office so after reading the good reports about this box I tried plugging it in only about 2 metres away from the router. It has made a major difference. Even with both doors shut the Wireless signal on my Acer is showing 5 bars whereas before it was only 1-3.

I would thoroughly recommend this product.

My Sky router does not support automatic setup but it was not that difficult to get it to set up. You need to remember to go round afterwards and reconnect all devices including things like printers to the _EXT version of the WLAN network. However, that it just a repeat of doing what you had to do in the first place to get it to connect to your WLAN.
VINE VOICEon 5 June 2013
We live in a single storey dwelling with fairly thick internal walls which has meant that it has always been a challenge to get a wifi signal to the further parts of the property. A couple of years ago I tried a range extender from another manufacturer and it was hopeless. It was a nightmare to configure and kept dropping the connection to the router. I tried using power extenders but the house is not on a single ring main so that did't work either. With some trepidation I decided to see if the Netgear range extender worked any more effectively. To be fair to the other manufacturer I was aiming to connect this to a Netgear router so, in theory, it should be easier to do.

Well I am delighted to report that it was a doddle. Although I am happy configuring kit using a web browser (I got plenty of experience with the previous range extender) I am very happy to try the manufacturer supplied "easy set up". I did that here. Plugged in the extender and waited for the unit's light to go green. Pressed the connect button and then went to the router and pressed the connect button on that. By the time I had walked back to the extender it was connected and I then went to the furthest room and tried to connect a device to the network. Good strong signal and connected straight away.

It's a delight when things just work so well done to Netgear for producing something which does exactly that. I have no reservations about recommending this product.
on 14 August 2014
I was a little skeptical before purchasing this as I wasn't sure it would do the job properly as it was for our holiday home in France and we use the free wifi from our neighbours when it's switched on and we wasn't sure if it would work that well as the walls in our house are pretty thick with it being an old farm house.
My husband set it up when we got there which was easy and then we connected our phones to it and it worked perfectly as I was finally able to sit down in the lounge and use my phone rather than standing near the window near to my neighbours. The laptop also worked perfectly as well.
We did look at the cheaper model of the Netgear but decided this would be the better option and we are glad that we did choose this one.
on 9 August 2013
We had absolutely zero wifi signal in our living room and kitchen, basically half our house, due to a thick wall. Plugged this little baby in at the further reach of the router signal, in the hall, and it works brilliantly. We now have fast wifi in the living room, powerful enough to watch on demand television through the Sky box (ethernet adaptor), and it actually extends further than our original router signal so we never have to switch between networks. Connecs to router with WPS, so you just press the button and it does it all for you. Cannot recommend highly enough if you have a similar issue.
on 28 August 2013
Recently moved house and soon discovered that my BT Home Hub 3 wasn't providing the same wifi coverage it did at the old place (thicker walls etc). Spurred on by good reviews, I bought this to see if it helped solve the problem - and it did!

Very easy to set up - I plugged it in, pressed the button on it and on the hub as the instructions directed and voila! wifi suddenly available throughout new house. Very pleased with its performance so far - any difference in speeds between the "real" network and the extended network is not apparent on iPad, iPhone etc but YMMV. Very stable, good performance etc. We have taken to switching it off at bedtime, and when we flick the power switch on the wall socket in the morning it immediately resumes duty with no intervention from us.

Not knowing anything about range extenders, I was briefly bewildered to find that I apparently suddenly had two networks - "networkname" and "networkname_EXT" - after set-up, but the password is the same for both and my gadgets seem to switch seamlessly between the two depending on where they are in the house.

Definitely a good buy. Does exactly what it's supposed to with minimum fuss.
on 5 March 2017
One of the antennas broke not long after purchasing this. Also, I found this wasn't a great solution to my networking problems. I bought a TP Link powerline/wifi adaptor after which worked perfectly.
on 24 October 2014
We bought it to extend our range in anold house which is stone built, so wifi struggles. Immediately on my iPad I see it picks up the signal as 'wifi-extn' and by putting in your wifi code it then picks it up and switches between the two as it needs to.
on 12 January 2014
This arrived next day delivery. It does "exactly what it says on the tin". You take it out of the box, plug it in, press the button on the side, followed by the one on the router and "hey presto", you have a second wifi system in the house with full bars. Just log in with the existing code (off the existing router) and the piece of equipment: laptop, iPad, phone.... is logged on! The areas of this large house that were dead zones are now super fast! Amazing - wish I'd done it months ago!!!
on 7 September 2013
I had tried to use an alternative product to extend the wireless range of my Virgin Media super-hub to no avail the TP LINK TL-WA850RE didn't want to communicate with the hub.
As an alternative I purchased the Netgear WN3000RP and am delighted.
It could not have been easier to set up.Plug in the Netgear to a wall socket press the connection button on the side of the unit, wait for the green light and then press the large button on the front of the Virgin Super-hub. You wait a couple of minutes for another green light to indicate signal strength and now you have a new extended WIFI signal to connect to. Use you laptop or mobile device to search for available WIFI signal and connect to the version that matches your original network but with the suffix of -ext enter the original password and you should be connected ... Fantastic.
As usual Amazon were tremendous regarding return of the previous products.