Customer reviews

on 6 January 2016
I gave The Celtic Dagger and Lane's End 3.5 stars, but I didn't think was as good.
Laurence Harford is murdered and there is no shortage of suspects. There were about
40 characters, which took a bit of remembering. There were several deaths (including some
from years ago) but no bloody gore, bad language or sex.

The book felt old fashioned and I am surprised it was only written recently. It reminded me of
Agather Christie's writing in that it was a bit repetitive. Nick, Laurence's nephew asked the same
questions of several characters - "do you know why my father and uncle hated each other?" and
"have you seen this locket before?" Inspector Fitzjohn also asked the same questions.

Bits of information was shared with various people telling the same thing. I also got very tired of hearing
Fitjzjohn introduce himself and Betts with their full titles, where they were from and whose death they were
investigating. I know in real life they would have had to do that but I think the author could have varied it with
"he showed his ID" or "once seated in so-and-so's lounge Fitzjohn ........" Hence a loss of a star.
Also, it was never explained why Laurence wasn't killed before or why a man was killed in Vietnam years ago, so
the book felt a bit unfinished.

Having said all that, it was an easy, gentle read (despite the murders!).
on 8 August 2017
From start to finish the book really kept the mind wondering what was going to happen next. Describing Australian police officers and their methods of solving criminal activities along with glimpses of their off duty lives gives some sentiment to the storyline. Can well recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.
on 22 August 2017
The plot is fairly good but the writing is rather clunky and uninteresting. The characters are more like chalk outlines that need filling out. The characters leave no impression so when their name appears again it's hard to remember who they are. The stories a little cheesy in some places.
on 8 August 2017
I have enjoyed my first foray into the world of Inspector Fitzjohn, well paced story which I checked kept me thinking an d trying to identify the culprit until the a author decided I should d know! I will read more in this series
on 19 August 2017
This was a very well written story that was cleverly laid out to keep interest the whole of the read. It showed police work as I remember it.......a lot of footwork and being meticulous about recording times and details.
on 2 August 2017
Moderately entertaining police procedural, but written in a very old-fashioned style. Who uses the expression "a steaming brew" any more? This is used 3 times, along with a lot of other archaic language. Irritating. It could have been set in the 1950s or 1960s except for the occasional mention of computers. And a mobile phone was mentioned on p157.
on 9 August 2017
Very enjoyable book. It held me throughout. Quite like Fitzjohn he is growing on me and very likeable. More to read ?
on 13 January 2014
This murder mystery is set in Australia, the policeman in charge seems a little old fashioned, but the story moved along well and kept me interested
on 2 September 2017
I will read more by Jill Paterson as I enjoy her turn of phrase and handling of all her various characters and would recommend her books to others.
on 14 August 2017
This is a fantastic read. Gripping with twists and more questions. Think you've worked it out tgen another twist. Couldn't put it down.