on 10 November 2011
House of the Dead overkill is one of the best on-rail shooting games available on the playstation and maybe all consoles.
I originaly bought HOTD overkill on the wii and found it to be my favourite game on that console. So when i learnt that it was being transfered to Ps3 with extra levels and in 3d, this game for me was a must.

What is a shame is that HOTD Overkill was released on the sameday as Battlefield 3 (obviously HOTD
:Overkill has been overlooked) Though i did buy both games on the their release, i found myself playing HOTD Overkill over the weekend while Battlefield 3 still had its packaging on.

What makes HOTD Overkill brilliant is that it has an grindhouse feel to it. Its very violent, 'F' word and 'Mother F'er words are used maybe a thousand times. I would not recommend this game if you are easily offended....im not kidding at times it can be quite below-the-belt. However if you are not easily offended and you love blowing Mutants (Zombies) heads off you will love this game. The 3D aspect is o.k the 3d only works when you are against a boss and they reach out to you, or if a zombie is throwing knives at you, thats when you really notice it.

I can not recommend this game any higher, to be honest it is probaly ONE of my favourite games. It is easily the best playstation move game out their currently. If you have played the wii game and loved it the only difference is that it has 2 extra levels (a Strip Club and a slaughter house), revaamped graphics, A couple of new guns and the 3D aspect.

Thanks for reading!

P.S this is the only game my girlfriend will play with me and not compplain....so thats an added bonus! And for GODSAKE SEGA Please release a sequel....im sick of waiting!
on 30 April 2012
Overkill, as far as zombie games go, is simply incredible. Reading the reviews on this product before hand I wasn't sure what I'd make of it but for the price I thought 'That's a steal!' and it really is, it's worth every penny and more.

What you must take into account is that the game has made a parody of itself and therefore not to take it at all seriously. They have opted for a Grindhouse feel to the game, Rodriguez or Tarantino style, and this adds to the fun.

I read the one star review of this game just before my review and it frustrated me, the reviewer didn't even seem to give the game a chance. As far as the swearing goes, it's Grindhouse, it's fun and if it really bothers you, after the first completion of the game you can turn on the Shoot The S*** mode where the subtitles come up underneath the cut scenes and you can shoot the words before they're even said, censoring them for you delicate little ears. Moreover, they said you couldn't skip cutscenes? This isn't true at all, if anything I'd sometimes press X and annoyingly miss the cutscene. This is also a way you can prevent a lot of the swearing.

Finally, the reviewer said the game was too easy because you have unlimited lifelines, admittedly this is true, but only on the first time playing through, after this you unlock all sorts of challenges as well as Director's Cut mode (the whole game is like a film/game combo) where you only get 3 lives. There is also Classic Mode where you again only get 3 lives and if you are to get some of the challenges you can barely get hit, let alone die at all. The Trophies also demand a similarly high level of skill. It is true that the bosses have similar ways of defeating them but it's that kind of game, it's old school, a classic style game where you play through a level shooting everything in sight to then arrive at the boss, try and find its weak spot and shoot the hell out of it. That's what makes it fun!

I have played the game on both Anamorphic and Stereoscopic 3D as well as with the Playstation Move Controller and again, you just have more and more fun the quirkier the extra features get.

Buy the game! Look how cheap it is! I've spent days worth playing on it!!

Oh and it's even more fun with a partner, as are most things in life. Enjoy!
VINE VOICEon 1 October 2015
Great fun. Turned the volume down so as not to worry about the strong language fired away. Don't get what the 3d specs do - they hide the red crosshairs for aiming and I never felt the images had depth (but maybe my eyes are defective).
Only disappointment is with the Motion tool accessory- the aim had a delay on screen behind the true hand movement with the gun. It takes a lot of concentration to compensate. I wonder if it is better with a gun and cable?
on 31 October 2011
Played this on the Wii so an HD version was something I wanted to play. Move works really well and you can use any gun attachment as you reload by just jolting the move remote so no having to touch buttons apart from the trigger and throwing the odd grenade.

One pleasant surprise in keeping with the 'B' movie presentation is that the 3D is both in stereoscopic i.e. the new method or for those of us with just HD TV's you can play in anaglyphic 3D. The game comes with 2 pairs of coloured glasses. So a 3D game without the need for a 3D TV. I will be honest though it just confirmed what I personally always think about 3D. Fun for 5 minutes then my eyes just get tired.

If you enjoy adult over the top cheesy humorous dialogue and blasting zombies then this is a must buy.
55 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2012
Assuming you are after using your move controller to destroy as many zombies as possible this is clearly the game for you! Funny story, good graphics and enough upgrades to up the reply value this is an excellent game.
on 14 May 2013
I personally think this game is kind of cool. It's mindless script and all out action is just fun. I think these days games have lost the fun aspect and it has to follow a plot too closely etc etc. They become too complicated and lose their appeal too quickly (maybe it's just me). This game is just simple fun, I used a couple of guns PlayStation Move Gun Attachment (PS3). The only problems I had was keeping my arms up long enough to continue shooting. We had a barbeque and me and the guys were sat playing this. We almost finished it in about 2 hours, but who cares :) it was simple fun.

The language is rather colourful in this game, so beware if you let kids play it and some of the scenes are pretty graphic. Head shots are especially nice :)

Where this game comes into it's own is the 3D. I have an LG 3D tv and the game plays really well in 3D. This is something extra about this game, it makes it even more fun. The best thing about this is that the game was five pounds, each of the two guns I bought (see link above) were roughly 4.50. You can't beat that for less than 15 pounds.
on 16 December 2011
Despite Sony supporting PS Move with their triple A properties - Resistance, Killzone, etc - Move has struggled to gain popular support in hardcore gamers. I bought move at launch, used it a couple times with the sharpshooter attachment with KZ3 and it's stayed in the charging dock ever since. Move is simply no competition when up against Dualshock 3/Sixaxis controllers in games where you must control movement as well as aim. 'On the rails' shooters remove this problem, taking control of movement out of the player's hands and leaving you to simply aim and shoot.

As such, House of the Dead Overkill is the most fun I've had with PS Move. Graphically it's not fantastic, but this is to be expected from a Wii port. The dialogue is funny and has some actual laugh out loud moments early on. It's gory and sleazy as hell, with the grainy flicker overlay reminiscent of B-move grindhouse flicks of the the 70s. Think Planet Terror but a video game.

I can't comment on stereoscopic 3D as I don't have a 3D tv, but the addition of anaglyphic 3D and glasses is a nice touch. I wouldn't play the entire game through with them on - you naturally lose some detail and colour - but its easy to switch on just for one or two chapters.

I recommend it - can play it for hours but it's also an accessible game that you can pick up your shooter and have fun with for 20-30 minutes, playing one chapter at a time. Especially at £15 this game is worth buying (not sure the amount of content would warrant a full price purchase at £40).
on 15 February 2013
Boot reviewed frames before but this was bought cause I wanted a shooter to suit the move system.good bait out fun with cheap ..3D glasses included allowing you to play in 3D if you wan to not for the serious gamer but good bit of fun shooting Zombies, recommended if you want a bit of fun for a change and a chance to see your playstation works in 3D
on 21 November 2015
House of the Dead:Overkill is the latest incarnation of the famous first person, Zombie Horror, rail shooting game series, released in 2011 on PS3. It acts as a prequel to the original House of The Dead games. The game plot involves AMC Special G being sent on his debut assignment to investigate disappearances and a local crime boss in a Louisiana Town. The town is filled with "Mutants" caused by a leakage from a shutdown bunker used by the military for bio weapons. In the First episode Agent G teams up with Police Detective Washington, out to avenge his fathers murder masterminded by the Crime boss Papa Caesar.They storm Caesar's Mansion, but find that he has fled and discover a disabled scientist, whom Caesar used, called Jasper Guns, who injects himself with an unknown substance. He becomes the first Mutated boss and when you defeat him you team up with his Sister and a whore whom Jasper was sweet on. That's the set up for the game as they pursue Caesar over several levels whilst being attacked by the "Mutants" and and several bosses. It has a fun 70's grindhouse style, lots of over the top gore and swearing with funny characters. I liked the gore and overdone swearing, I never have a problem with this sort of thing I love it. I would say this is a amusing and quite fun way to kill a 2 or 3 hours of spare time. It's no masterpiece but what would you expect from a House of The Dead title. For me it's just a decent 3 out of 5 game, I would recommend if you can get it cheap.
on 25 January 2013
Love this game its so much fun me my boyfriend and friends are hooked i mean who could not enjoy killing zombies lol i would imagine if this was played to often it could become a bit boring as it seems to be the same routine over again but as a game to play with friends for a laugh or to relieve frustration/anger this is perfect