on 30 April 2015
This is 70th edition anniversary edition of Anne’s book, it is an amalgamation of all her writing, including parts her father had censored, about thirty percent more text than other editions. A must read for all, it will show a more complex individual and a more expanded explanation for some of the living situation.
Anne died In 1945 in Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in April or March of that year, she was 15 years old, her crime was to be a jew, for two year of her short life she lived in hiding and left this remarkable document of mans inhumanity.
She was a precocious intelligent girl, that loved life and nature as she tells us many times in her diary. She was a teeneger like many teenagers, fighting with her mother, preoccupied with her own growing up. loving, hating, crying, laughing while imprisoned behind a bookcase with eight other people, keeping quiet and invisible, while pouring her heart out into a diary that makes her come alive through the haze of time.
We will never know any other destiny for this remarkable little woman and jet she achieved some of her dreams by writing her diary and showing us that she was a person first last and always. That she was never a label but the singular, the great Anne Frank.

“5 April 1944: I finally realized that I must do my schoolwork to keep from being ignorant, to get on in life, to become a journalist, because that's what I want! I know I can write ..., but it remains to be seen whether I really have talent ...
And if I don't have the talent to write books or newspaper articles, I can always write for myself. But I want to achieve more than that. I can't imagine living like Mother, Mrs. van Daan and all the women who go about their work and are then forgotten. I need to have something besides a husband and children to devote myself to! ...
I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death! And that's why I'm so grateful to God for having given me this gift, which I can use to develop myself and to express all that's inside me!
When I write I can shake off all my cares. My sorrow disappears, my spirits are revived! But, and that's a big question, will I ever be able to write something great, will I ever become a journalist or a writer?”
— Anne Frank
8 people found this helpful
on 18 March 2014
Great book of the well known story, I bought it for a home schooled teenager who is learning about the war after we had discussed racism. Anne's story brings a reality to the horrors of the period that you just can't get across from reading war books, this is the real story of a real girl who one day was living a normal life and the next her life was thrown into turmoil in ways we can only begin to empathise with. Very touching and the photos, although shocking portray the reality.
16 people found this helpful
on 17 December 2016
I don’t really think I, nor anyone else, could “review” such a book because of the nature of its contents and therefore will think of it more of a few things that the book leaves me with so that I can continue to write them rather than being forced to stop because the idea of “reviewing” such a topic is one I dare not entertain. I would also like to point out that a star rating system is hardly appropriate here but again a generic Amazon thing. I give it five stars because (a) it deserves no less (b) it’s historical, the diary, value is invaluable.

While reading this book I learnt that Germany started to withdraw in 1944 and thus leading to Auschwitz being liberated on: January 27th 1945 of course by this time Anne, for whatever reason, had already been transported elsewhere. I can’t imagine the suffering she endured during her time at Auschwitz and can only keep repeating “what if” and the one that strikes me the most is “what if she hadn’t of been transported” I sense the truth is that Hitler, attempting to hide his war crimes, had withdrawn as many as possible before hand. I sense the camp was in uproar and attempt to hide the crimes was far harder than they’d imagine since most of it still remained upon liberation. Not all of this is factual mind and only what I understand of what I’ve read but it makes me feel something words cannot describe, or I am not able to put into, that Anne came so close to the end, liberation, and yet did not make it. Lets not forget the other seven, of whom six did not make it, who suffered equally also as well as the countless others who did not keep a diary but suffered a fate equal to Anne and the seven others that were hiding with her. In truth I can’t begin to imagine what Otto Frank’s life was like post liberation because the loss of his family and the Van Daan’s and Dussel must have been unimaginable. The fate of all those involved can be found post Anne’s diary at the end of the book for quick reference. The fact, so the book says, that the train that Anne and the others had been put on out of Westerbrook was the last one haunts me also.

There’s not a lot more to say, for me anyhow. I feel that any opinion I should write today might be extended on another for one cannot completely give an opinion on all they feel and want to write in one sitting and therefore it’s a shame reviews are one input and that’s your lot.

I can only feel great sorrow that at some point within the last one hundred years, so soon in the worlds history, this tragic events unfolded. The scar one man, and his, to him, loyal SS officers left on the world will cause a stain on history that shall, and should not, ever be forgotten.

I watched a short fifteen minute documentary named “Auschwitz” directed by James Moll recently and in that it states that upon arrival at Auschwitz the criteria for left, to survive, and right, to die, was not set and therefore the Jew’s, and other kinds of peoples, lives whom arrived at Auschwitz could be decided in either way in an instant. I’ve yet to do research, and I will, on the Nuremberg trials whom got what fate but I think it some, not entirely, justice that many men got their comeuppance for their terrible crimes during this period of time. I also read, in one my many WW2 books, that the hate that was instilled in SS officers mind could not be comprehended by anyone that was not inside the camp, I dare to imagine what it must take to force a human to accept that another deserves to meet a premature end simply because their of a certain decent. Says it all really that Hitler took his own life rather than face the music, cowards and that’s the understatement of all of time. There’s many horrid things I could say and mean every one of them but shall not in such a place. During the documentary it also stated that SS officers only performed one job along the killing chain so that they did not feel like they had sent anyone to death and rather moved on them on during their job a point rather than anything to say about it.

A book that I’ll hold with me for as long as possible. I thank Otto Frank, and the others whom worked with him, to endure the grief, on an unimaginable scale, and to bring us the complete works of Anne’s diary so that those beyond the generation of 1939-1945 can understand the events of which unfolded in all its horror.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2018
What hasn't already been said about this book? Valuable reading for anyone of any age (although in order to fully appreciate I would recommend being at least 12 to read this). While this is often held up as a book about the war, or the Holocaust and of Jewish persecution (and it is all of these things), it's also just a diary of a teenage girl, and the thoughts she has which wander from serious topics to trivial day to day life.

The definitive edition is probably the recommended version to read - passages that were initially omitted by Otto have been reinstated, and also included are Anne's own revisions (which depending on the version you buy are clearly marked as being written at a later date or not).

I purchased the Hardback edition in a slipcase - yes it's more money but it's beautiful and includes far more photos than the paperback editions.
One person found this helpful
Review originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction (book blog): [...]

RATED 4.5/5 STARS

I feel like this book has changed me somehow.

Even though this is the first non-fiction book I’ve actually enjoyed enough to finish, I somehow knew I’d love this book. I adore history. One of my favourite genres is historical fiction, though I can’t say I’ve read much of it yet. I’m always eager to learn more about history, and the stories I hear really stay with me. So this fascination was sure to set me up for a good read.

Right from the start I appreciated how honest Anne Frank was as a person. Partially because of her young age, partially because it was just her personality, not that much from this book is sugar coated in way of details. Sure, she’s hidden away and doesn’t see the brunt of the war while writing her diary, but even from the events that do happen to her and her family, you can tell just how much the war had affected everyone.

I’m pretty sure most people have at least heard the basis of Anne Frank’s story. Before starting this book, I knew that she and her family had hidden in an “attic” for ages during the war. And it didn’t end well. That’s all I knew. And really, that’s all most people know, unless they read up on the story. So seeing how much more complicated their hiding was, I couldn’t quite believe it. And yet… I feel like that’s why this book affected me so much.

Before reading this book, everything I had ever heard from history had been taught to me during history lessons, through my own research, or through a fictional character. So to read this book and know that once upon a time, this actually DID happen? To real people? That…really struck a chord with me.

Especially when I saw the photographs of everyone mentioned.

Hearing about war from the voice of a thirteen year old was really hard-hitting. To see someone so young understand the injustice of it all, and to see her constantly trying to keep her spirits high through it all – well, it can be difficult to read. And yet, I felt like I owed it to her to read her story.

“I’ve found that there is always some beauty left — in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself; these can all help you.”

She wanted to be a writer. She wanted her stories, her “fairy tales” shared. She wanted to leave her mark on the world. And even though it’s not how she hoped…she did ultimately achieve all those things. And for me, I hate hate hate the fact that she didn’t get to see how much she’d achieve.

When this diary ends, and you’re left with the small update on what happened to everyone…that’s probably the hardest part to read. To go through this journey with them all, and to see how it all turned out – whether you liked them or not, it’s hard to miss that sinking feeling in your stomach. To get so close and yet so far. To know what Anne had hoped for, and to see how that turned out. It was just a very painful reminder that all those things I learnt in my history lessons happened to real people. Thousands upon thousands of people suffered during the war, and we can only begin to imagine the scale of it.

Books like this should be read by everyone.

I know it might be uncomfortable to read. But it happened. To go through that tension, hope, fear, constant sense of waiting, even just through the words on a page while you sit safely tucked away at home – it made this book a really powerful story. And this gave me so much more understanding than I had previously…I don’t think I’ll ever forget this story.

I never thought I’d feel this heavy-hearted for a girl who died so long ago.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 April 2016
Anne Frank is a true, real hero! Books of this quality can never be forgotten in human time. This book should be past from father to son in all family's for eternity! A book of such importance, such as this should be handed to each family generation free of charge by the governments, as
the past events of history can never be forgotten and in a time when such atrocities were committed by all sides, we can not forget that we loss a humanity!
In our schools and to our friends or family's and in general life, story's of heroism, hero's, selfishness and of what is truly right, should be told before any story of Nazism or devilry.
If my son is to ask me in years to come..."Tell me about the Nazis and of Adolf Hitler", i will reply simply...."First i shall tell you about all the hero's that fought against Adolf Hitler and their family's. There was once a young girl called Anne Frank who received a diary"..........
2 people found this helpful
on 25 April 2017
I bought this for my 11year old granddaughter as she was curious about the goings on during the Second World War and the atrocities, thought that she would not really get into it, my goodness she enjoyed it, had a tear while reading it. An excellent book.
4 people found this helpful
on 29 October 2016
This is a fascinating read and an incredible insight into the life of Anne and her family while they hid out during World War II. Despite the exceptional circumstances of her young life, I found myself able to relate to Anne on so many different levels. Her diary is a detailed reflection of her emotions and feelings about numerous topics such as family, friendship, love, boyfriends, sex: all the things your average teenager may spend their youth pondering and exploring. All of these areas are explored by Anne with the painful honesty of someone who is unable to explore all of her feelings openly in the world, like she should have been able to. The real tragedy of this diary is reading Anne's many aspirations and dreams for her future; the bright future that she should have had. It is with sadness and a heavy heart that we get this unique insight into this wonderful young woman and her life, all the while knowing that her life was tragically cut so short. A really poignant read.
One person found this helpful
on 8 May 2017
what an amazing true story, the diary of a young girl living amidst a time of pure evil and horror, and what a mind! she would of grown up to do wonderful things I'm sure, her intellegence startled me! an excellent read.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2017
The original version with Anne's notes included but made clear where they were added. Also has a foreward explaining the different versions available and an afterword explaining what happened to the members of the Annexe.

Great read, made me weep when I finished it. You just can't believe that the person who wrote those words was a real teenage girl and everything she writes about is actually happening around her.
2 people found this helpful