Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 July 2015
This is the first novel by Ms Knight I have read. It is a pleasant read with enough going on to keep you turning the pages, but easy enough to follow without overtaxing the brain. Set in the 1890s it follows the return of recently widowed Rose McQuinn to Edinburgh from the wilds of Dakota, her chance meeting with old friend Alice and Alice's demand that Rose use her deductive skills to investigate her husband's recent strange behaviour.
I don't think that Ms Knight really captures Victorian society and values, but then I don't think social commentary is her aim so if all you want is a light, escapist read then this will fit the bill nicely.
on 27 August 2013
I really enjoy the Inspector Faro books so had modestly high hopes for a series involving his daughter. The writing is as good although for my tastes the central character isn't as strong. That said, I'll probably read others in the series. Ms Knight has a very easy style and her drawing of the landscape and mores of old Edinburgh are excellent.
on 19 September 2013
I found this story easy to follow - well written and well constructed story line. I had an inkling of 'who dunne it,' early on, but there were enough twists in the story to throw me off the scent for a while, so to speak.
on 19 July 2013
I have long been a fan of Rose McQuinn and this is the first of the series. It tells how she came to live in the Tower and a little about her life in America. I am now hoping to read No 6 in the series and then her latest book 'Destroying Angel'.
on 13 March 2014
I am glad I found this book, although I wish I had found the series the right way around, although each book is separate, there are some references to previous history of the characters. It didn't stop me enjoying the story. I shall be reading all of Alanna Knights books if and when I can.
on 2 June 2017
very enjoyable book, fast delivery
on 13 March 2016
well satisfied thank you
on 3 February 2013
good read and some mystery involved ...set in Edinburgh in the old times so was intresting as well ,some books you have to read I think this was one for me.pete
on 6 February 2013
Great detective / mystery story set in the late 1800s, yet very readable. A good read that is not too taxing.
on 12 February 2015