on 29 September 2016
Superb book , Epic well written factual story , I read this in 3 days whilst on Holiday, I've always liked Ed Staffords TV shows, I didn't realize this book was available. It's tells the story of Ed's stunningly impressive walk of whole Amazon, from source to Sea, you feel like your there going through the hardships and meeting the various tribes along the way, just superb, I liked that fact the prelude tells you how this Epic adventure was started and funded, how many people were involved. Truly excellent book, from a truly humbling superbly unique brilliant individual that is Ed Stafford!
on 18 June 2016
When I saw this book I thought it would be just another travelogue, it may be that it is, but, I enjoyed it for the insight of how these indigenous people of these remote communities are being treated How their lands and communities are being plundered, not only by conglomerates of multinational companys but also by their own governments. And how they are trying to protect themselves from the endless march of the 21st century. So thank you Ed Stafford you made me think.
on 25 July 2017
A truly enticing book that drags you into the jungle of the Amazon and areas of South America as Ed treks his way along the length of the Amazon River. Such an inspirational feat of endurance and accomplishment. Brilliantly told in this book, it's a no holds barred, honest account from start to finish. You can't help but hold the man in high admiration for what he accomplished.
on 16 June 2016
This must be a pretty good book. My husband puts the football on every evening and then carries on reading this book. I'd recommend this for anyone who has a husband who always wanted to go on adventures but never found the time.
on 3 September 2017
This is a really interesting book what I have read at the minute good book
on 8 March 2017
Fantastic read about areas of the world most only dream of visiting.
on 3 August 2017
Couldn't put it down
on 2 November 2016
I really wanted to like this book but I found Ed Stafford very arrogant which came through in this writing. I ended up not liking him and then the whole book is about him, it makes for a hard read. I ended up putting it down half way though.
on 7 May 2014
First off, I have to say that Ed Stafford's achievement must rank as one of the greatest expeditions of the past 100 years. Amazing and hats off to him.

However, the book was almost as much of a slog as the journey. It is poorly written and doesn't convey many of the experiences Ed went through very well. His descriptions of the environment, plants, animals, etc. are almost completely none existent and he devotes more time in the book to the tech he is carrying with him. Another issue I had reading it was that it comes across as a long moan, about the conditions, the people, the tech and on and on. My wife asked me what I thought and I summed it up as "Walked today, moan moan moan, walked today, moan moan moan." For me the book needed a ghost writer and/or a really good editor.

For me, Ed didn't come across as very likeable either, and when the book is focussed on him, that is a big problem. There is virtually no humour in the book and when it is attempted it is contrived and to be honest, a little offensive, for example "about as welcome as an autistic maths teacher" is an attempt at a joke which misses the mark by a long way.

There are other books out there which show a greater writing capability than Ed possesses, (Walking Home by Lynn Schooler for example) and I'd recommend them over this.
on 9 June 2011
It is no exaggeration when I say that I do not know of a single expedition in the last five years that required more dedication, pig-headedness and refusal to quit than Ed's Amazon walk.

Ed's book sounds like he is in person (I have heard one of his brilliant lectures) - humble, down-to-earth, amusing.

In the age of ridiculous celebrity "expeditions" this is the real deal. Hardcore. Impressive. Well worth a read.