on 3 September 2017
An intelligent and truly thought provoking romance. Linda Gillard really gets behind the sightless eyes of her heroine and raises all sorts of questions about how we can perceive our world, our music and our relationship with the environment. I adored Keir, the male lead, and towards the end began to feel He was being more than a little unfairly treated, but the end is satisfying and the future hopeful. Highly recommended
on 6 August 2017
Not my normal genre to read, however I was completely captivated by this novel. I was completely drawn into the story and couldn't put it down.
on 9 May 2017
I loved the story couldn't put the book down but felt a bit cheated ate the end as i felt it had turned into a chick lit in the last few pages/. still good story
on 21 September 2017
Another great read from this author. Couldn't put it down. The plot twists and turns beautifully and I was sorry to reach the final page
on 12 June 2017
I've been a fan of Linda Gillard right from her first published book and knew I was in for a treat when Star Gazing was published. I read it for the first time in 2008 and have just finished reading it for the 2nd time and must say I enjoyed it even more this time, if that's possible. It's a love story with a difference. Marianne is a widow that's been blind since birth and lives with her author sister, Louisa, in Edinburgh - and against her better judgement falls in love with Keir, a geophysicist whose work takes him away quite a lot.
This is a lovely story, sad but happy and joyful too. You can't help but admire Marianne with her anger and at times fanatical wish for independence but I really did feel like giving her a good shake at times.
Star Gazing is beautifully written and I love the way the story unfolds from two different perspectives - Marianne on one side and Louisa on the other and the whole thing tied together nicely by the 'narrator'. Highly recommended.
on 6 October 2017
I loved this well-written and thought-provoking story. Different from Gillard's other books which I have also enjoyed. Star Gazing takes us into the world of a blind person and how she perceives the everything around her. She fights for independence and finds love, to lose not only her husband in the Piper Alpha tragedy but subsequently her unborn baby. She finds love for the second time in the wonderful Keir who understands her in a way few do, explaining how things look in terms of music. The subplot is her middle-aged sister who falls in love with a much younger man, a goth.
A sensitively written story that will pull your heartstrings and make you want to visit the beautiful island of Skye.
on 11 August 2013
I have to admit the premise for this book didn't grab me and it sat on my shelf for a while before I picked it up ... but boy was I wrong. This is one of the most beautifully written and heart tugging romances I've read and well deserves its award for Romantic Novel 1960-2010. It's about a blind woman falling in love ... and that's all I'm going to say. The story is simple but the emotion and language are sublime. Linda Gillard's descriptive powers are fantastic, particularly bringing to life the world of a blind woman.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 May 2008
Linda Gillard's third published novel has two marvellous settings, including a beautifully-created Edinburgh; and a wonderful, spiky, difficult heroine. I wanted to bang her head together with another character's a few times, but that was because I CARED about her! The supporting cast is wonderful and provides some giggles and sweet moments. The added dimension of describing a character's experiences without using visual imagery gives the book a depth and interest that the casual reader might not expect - wonderfully evocative. An excellent read and highly recommended.
on 28 May 2008
By turns funny, heartwrenching and heartstopping, this novel is never less than engrossing. To involve the reader so completely and convincingly in Marianne's story is a terrific achievement. Marianne is a wonderful heroine - and this is coming from a reader who usually wants to slap heroines within five pages. She's spiky, occasionally bad-tempered, endlessly angry for very good reasons, yet she's also resourceful, independent, emotionally mature and vulnerable. She's real. The gorgeous Keir is not more than a match for her - he's just a perfect match, and a perfect fit. As for Louisa and Garth, they're terrific. I loved this book - and I wasn't sure, right to the last chapter, how it would end.
VINE VOICEon 8 June 2009
I loved this book right from the start. The characters are so well drawn and the story so moving. Marianne is very independent, and a little prickly. She doesn't like to use her cane when she's out because she doesn't want it to be obvious she's blind. Some of the things she said made me smile, but you could also really feel her pain, both at the loss of her husband, and the other losses that she suffers.

Linda Gillard's writing seems to have so much feeling to it and I really cared what happened to Marianne and Keir. There's also Louisa and her relationship with the much younger Garth the Goth.

Because the main character is blind, there's a lot of description of Edinburgh and Skye, two wonderful settings. And the things Keir does to be able to describe surroundings to Marianne are very touching.

A lovely book, and one which I highly recommend. A 5/5 for me.