on 3 July 2009
I have loved all of Carol's books. I did not read them critically (I tend to skim read) as some reviewers did, I read them for pleasure and escapism. I do not rely on every word and incident being reproduced accurately.
All Carol's books have contained, what seemed to me to be, a very honest opening of her heart. She relates incidents that I would baulk at sharing with the world.
Too many books have been written about the foreign 'rural idyll', where disasters are turned into quirky, funny tales and the locals are curious but loveable characters. As someone who lives in Italy, I know the difficulties and downright slog involved in living in another culture. Carol shows that there are considerable downsides with creating a life overseas, showing a far more realistic way of living than is provided by the likes of Peter Mayle.
on 29 July 2017
I have not yet read this lovely book by Carol Drinkwater, I really enjoy all of her books, they are a very relaxing read. Quick delivery, and excellent service from this company. Thank you..
on 1 April 2017
great book
on 18 July 2017
I enjoyed it as much as the first book. A good read.
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2005
Having read the two previous books I was eagerly awaiting a follow up and was pleased to find that this book was available just in time for my holiday! I find Carol Drinkwaters writing style to be easy to read and enthralling with beautifully written descriptions of the south of France, nature and life and its emotions. Carol and Michel have again returned to Appasionata, the Olive Farm that they have restored, and Carol is eager to continue production of the olives and attain their cerificate for producing Organic Oil. However their plans for an idyllic summer are thwarted by various events and it seems for a time that all is lost and cannot be regained. Old familiar characters like the dogs and Monsieur Q the gardener are present as are new friends like the apiarists (beekeepers) and the hunters with whom Carol spends an exhausting day hunting in the mountains (nearly killing herself into the bargain!) The ongoing saga of the Olive trees' life throughout the changing year within the changing landscape and the life and relationships affecting Carol make this a book which is compulsive reading , I found it difficult to put down and would certainly recommend it as holiday reading . It certainly makes you want to be there... to feel the fresh warm air , hear the bees, smell the scents and pollens and eat the lovely food that is produced!
on 12 July 2015
Having read the previous two books in the series years ago, I recently came across the third and simply had to read it. Carol's remarkable prose lifts the book from the mundane 'life as an ex-pat' genre and delivers a fresh glimpse into the ups and downs of living in a foreign country. Of course, her passion for her adopted land and her olive farm shine through but alongside these feelings, she allows up to peak into the innermost workings of her life. We see her frustration at times and her anguish when things are not going well bewteen her and Michel. This book is far more open and personal than I would be happy with myself and I guess that's what also makes it stand out from the rest.
on 6 July 2010
Enjoyed this book, a great holiday read for anyone interested in, true life stories
of Brits making the lifestyle change to living in a foreign country.
I have read 2 of the earlier books by Carol Drinkwater. Her style of writting
is most informative and imaginative.
One feels involved in her life story and I hope all goes well for her and Michel.
I will most certainley read any subsequent books on the same theme.
on 9 March 2010
I really enjoyed reading this set of books, i felt like i was there sharing those chores and the way of life. i was reluctant to let my wife read them ,i thought she would be packing her suitcase halfway through, and go there herself, as we both love France.
on 21 June 2012
This is a brilliant account of life on the olive trail..great read ..can almost smell the earth and the ozone.Evokes memories of my visit to the area.Keep writing Carol..The Olive Harvest: A Memoir of Love, Old Trees, and Olive OilThe Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love and Olive Oil
on 23 April 2010
I am totally hooked on Carol's books, she is a lovely writer, realy brings you right into the story, you want to be there. Have only just discovered these books and cant wait to get the next. She is a very brave lady, but then she is Irish!